weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manager change - Graham Coughlan gone

+14
Oldcromwellian
wattsville_boy
Jack
sjg99
Stow Hill Sid
1912 Exiles
Owlsabout
Friendly Swan
Risca_Exile
Amberexile
George Guest
flat4
bonson&hunt
County exile
18 posters
Go down
Amberexile
Amberexile

Manager change - Graham Coughlan gone - Page 2 Empty Re: Manager change - Graham Coughlan gone

Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:10 am
Oldcromwellian wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Looks like we've lost our captain as a consequence as well

Why do you think Delaney's decision has anything to do with the management change? It'll have been based on the money offered and pretty much nothing else.

Delaney was always going to leave for another club, as soon as he received an alternative offer.

I disagree.
Owlsabout

Manager change - Graham Coughlan gone - Page 2 Empty Re: Manager change - Graham Coughlan gone

Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:10 pm
Jack wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Not in the least bit surprised.

Graham Coughlan will walk into another job and will pick up 18 months pay. No doubt he'll cry all the way to the bank. But I think he leaves with the thanks of us all.

Brave decision by Huw Jenkins. If Graham thrives at another League 2 club and our new man fails he will take some stick.

County 'til I die, etc, etc.

Very good chance of it with a decent budget. Proven at this level before...
I doubt if he will walk away with 18 months pay stan .if we sacked him wouldn't get his contract paid up be a clause in it and a certain amount would be the settlement, he's been offered deal but it won't be his full contract
Stan A. Einstein
Stan A. Einstein

Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:18 pm
Owlsabout wrote:

Very good chance of it with a decent budget. Proven at this level before...
I doubt  if he will walk away with 18 months pay stan .if we sacked him wouldn't  get his contract  paid up be a clause  in it and a certain  amount  would be the settlement, he's been offered deal  but it won't be his full contract  [/quote]

You may very well be right Mark. That said whilst a competent board of directors would have inserted such a clause I'm not sure the board controlling County at the time of Graham's appointment would have been that savvy
Friendly Swan

Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:04 pm
I don't know how reliable this source is but it would be surprising if Huw wasn't interested in Toshack:

https://www.dai-sport.com/newport-county-consider-cameron-toshack-move-after-graham-coughlan-departure/

When Duff left Swansea my personal favourites for the job were Ian Evatt if Bolton, Luke Williams and then Toshack. He would be an excellent choice fir County I believe. The bug challenge is making on overnight massive change in playing style. Newport were just about the most direct side on a range of metrics last season, so it's going to be a big challenge. Kompany managed it with Burnley and Martinez with Swansea. Although in both cases they had a core of players who had the basic technical ability already at the clubs, think Leon Britton at Swansea.

Whoever gets the job is going to have his job cut out managing the transition. The one thing in your favour is that plenty of clubs have managed it with very limited resources. Swansea, Barrow, Notts County and Bolton spring to mind.
Paulm

Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:02 am
Maybe GC was not on board with Huw's recruiting policy and better to go now rather mid season if it all goes wrong

Oldcromwellian likes this post

Stan A. Einstein
Stan A. Einstein

Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:30 am
Just my view.

At the end of the season I was convinced that the fall off in form and the eight consecutive defeats was as a consequence of Graham Coughlan knowing that he would be sacked. I was surprised when Huw Jenkins the announced that he was working with Graham Coughlan on plans for next season. But as I said at the time I am as capable of being wrong as anyone else. On reflection I noe think I was right. In short Huw Jenkins was being 'economic with the truth'. A trait seen once again in saying in the same statement that it was a difficult decision and it was by mutual consent. Both clearly can't be true.
All people lie when it is in their best intetests to do so. The supporters of Newport County gifted Huw Jenkins the club and whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion Newport County now belongs to him and he can do as he pleases. Let's at least on lie to ourselves. Huw Jenkins is here to make money. To do that he has to make Newport County successful. If he succeeds everyone will be happy. If he fails, he will bugger off and supporters will pick up the pieces. It was ever thus.

And to be clear, none of the above is a criticism of Mr Jenkins. Newport County are now run on exactly the same basis as 95% of football clubs and I'd rather the owner of Newport County be a ruthless businessman than an incompetent egotist.

But don't be under any illusion. You/we may love Newport County. But for Newport County you/we are simply customers.

Oldcromwellian and lowandhard like this post

lowandhard
lowandhard

Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:16 am
Stan is right of course, we are emotionally involved with the club and the decisions around its future, Mr Jenkins is not. That could be a good or bad thing, time will tell. One thing’s for sure, as stated above we can do sweet fa about it. We have to hope he makes some good decisions as our future is ( as usual ) precarious.

Oldcromwellian likes this post

sjg99
sjg99

Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:57 pm
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

Why do you think Delaney's decision has anything to do with the management change? It'll have been based on the money offered and pretty much nothing else.

Because I believe if GC was in control of recruitment and budget he would have made an offer sufficient to retain Delaney.

That's assuming he was in control of recruitment and budget before...
Amberexile
Amberexile

Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:12 pm
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

Because I believe if GC was in control of recruitment and budget he would have made an offer sufficient to retain Delaney.

No it isn't. It is saying if he was in control this Summer which it appears he was not.
Taunton iron cider
Taunton iron cider

Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:36 am
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

No it isn't. It is saying if he was in control this Summer which it appears he was not.

There is an element to all this that gives me concern, and that is HJ is coming across as an autocrat. Further, if reports are to be believed, we don’t necessarily seem to have a replacement for GC already lined up and ready to go.

With the start of training imminent, and the new season almost upon us, I would really expect any successor to be announced this week, ideally Monday, and along with at least 5 decent signings to give us some hope for the coming campaign.
Amberexile
Amberexile

Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:17 am
Taunton iron cider wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

There is an element to all this that gives me concern, and that is HJ is coming across as an autocrat. Further, if reports are to be believed, we don’t necessarily seem to have a replacement for GC already lined up and ready to go.

With the start of training imminent, and the new season almost upon us, I would really expect any successor to be announced this week, ideally Monday, and along with at least 5 decent signings to give us some hope for the coming campaign.

I agree, it needs a big week soon if we are not to fall behind other teams in the league at such an early stage. Although 5 decent signings next week is probably a stretch.

We have no option but to trust that HJ either has it in hand or will eventually take actions that will allow us to not only play catch but to overtake. At the moment my heart sinks every time the club tweets only for it to be some loosely connected advertising spam.

I think we need to be prepared to br underwhelmed for a while to come yet
Taunton iron cider
Taunton iron cider

Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:42 am
Amberexile wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

I agree, it needs a big week soon if we are not to fall behind other teams in the league at such an early stage. Although 5 decent signings next week is probably a stretch.

We have no option but to trust that HJ either has it in hand or will eventually take actions that will allow us to not only play catch but to overtake. At the moment my heart sinks every time the club tweets only for it to be some loosely connected advertising spam.

Perhaps 5 is a stretch, but didn’t HJ say in his last statement that a number of signings were already lined up, so why the delay in announcing them?

Patrick likes this post

Amberexile
Amberexile

Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:05 am
Amberexile wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

Perhaps 5 is a stretch, but didn’t HJ say in his last statement that a number of signings were already lined up, so why the delay in announcing them?

He did but he have since signedxm Norris and Wikdig so perhaps that is what he meant?
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:35 pm
Amberexile wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
sjg99 wrote:

My guess is that HJ will want to run any signings past the new Head Coach before completing them.

So new Head Coach, then some signings that are already agreed (and okayed by HC) and then HC may have suggestions on other players that would be decent signings for new style of play...
Amberexile
Amberexile

Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:33 pm
Newport County can confirm that assistant-manager Joe Dunne has left the club following the departure of manager Graham Coughlan on Thursday.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:05 pm
Amberexile wrote:Newport County can confirm that assistant-manager Joe Dunne has left the club following the departure of manager Graham Coughlan on Thursday.

Again no surprise. Whomever the Head Coach will be, they will want to bring in their own number two. In some ways I'm surprised that Dunne didn't leave when Coughlan did, but I guess it was all about the severence package...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum