weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lowandhard
lowandhard

The Passing Game Empty The Passing Game

Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:47 am
I just watched France v Portugal which was yet another borefest and underlined the uselessness of teams at the whole object of the game ie to score goals. The highlight for most fans seemed to be to appear on the big screen!
It seems most players “ performing “ in Germany share the inability to hit cows in arses with shovels and it got me to fantasising about the development of the new sport of “ Passing “ where all that happened was that the game simply involved passing the ball sideways while the spectators drank ovaltine and huddled quietly together in blankets and sleeping bags while dozing until eventually and inevitably - they passed!
Perhaps a joint package promoted by Sky and a National Hospice Organisation could launch this useful service and would save a lot of money spent on palliative care.
Amberexile
Amberexile

The Passing Game Empty Re: The Passing Game

Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:05 am
It does seem that a lot of teams these days think the object of the exercise is to get the ball as close to the opposition box as possible without actually entering it.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:08 pm
I wonder whether simplifying football and outlawing backward passes would improve the game. I never remember football being so negative when I started watching it in the early 70's. I blame Ray "Butch" Wilkins, who I believe never played one pass in a forward direction.
forest amber

Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:53 pm
I wonder if it's an age related thing. I was born into a footballing family, lived it and have been watching it for near 70 years. Frankly, I'm finding the new game boring where it's now obvious that not losing is more important than winning. I don't want to be one of those who will say " it was better in my day". I would love to hear what the 18 to 25 age group think of the present game. I know it's the only game they know but do they think the current premier/international game is
exciting. If they don't I worry for the future of the game.

lowandhard
lowandhard

Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:08 pm
Agree Forest Amber, I learned my football in the days when wingers danced past fullbacks, inside forwards and wing halves were artists and goalkeepers and centre forwards were insanely brave. It was thrilling and wonderful to watch. Men were men and the sheep were scared.
Agreed, it’s no longer like that and so most of the football I enjoy seems to come from South American players. Like you I wonder what young people think of stuff like we watched last night, I just wanted to go to bed or read a book for a bit of excitement 😂
Stan A. Einstein
Stan A. Einstein

Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:44 pm
Watching England v Switzerland I can't help but think that if this is the best I can do on a Saturday afternoon then Saturday's ain't what they were.
bonson&hunt

Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:35 pm
Low & Hard, what was the name of that book again?😁

lowandhard likes this post

lowandhard
lowandhard

Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:48 am
bonson&hunt wrote:Low & Hard, what was the name of that book again?😁
It was Murakami’s “ Norwegian Wood “ and I found it very good indeed. I wish I’d read him earlier. The book has been on my shelves for 30 odd years but I’d overlooked it.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:53 pm
lowandhard wrote:
bonson&hunt wrote:Low & Hard, what was the name of that book again?😁
It was Murakami’s “ Norwegian Wood “ and I found it very good indeed. I wish I’d read him earlier. The book has been on my shelves for 30 odd years but I’d overlooked it.

Apparently 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' is a better book by him.

lowandhard likes this post

lowandhard
lowandhard

Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:55 pm
Yes, thanks I’ve just bought it but atm started * south of the border, west of the sun “ by him which seems promising. Exhaustion from election-watching and the consequent boozefest is slowing me down though Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum