weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
avatar
Ugo.
Posts : 5
Join date : 2024-06-06

Oliver Greaves Empty Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:47 am
Signs from Mickelover FC. Was with Sheff Utd youth

Scored 24 goals last season in the Southern League Northern Premier Division. Looks a good prospect.

Nothing wrong with the signings so far per se but most hold some risk and with them all being given. 2 year contracts that risk is increased.  

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/oliver-greaves-signs-newport-county
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy
Posts : 94
Join date : 2024-05-01
Location : Caerphilly County

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:57 am
Ugo. wrote:Signs from Mickelover FC.

Scored 24 goals last season. Looks a good prospect.

Nothing wrong with the signings so far per se but most hold some risk and with them all being given. 2 year contracts that risk is increased.  

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/oliver-greaves-signs-newport-county

I agree. I think all five players could be good signings individually, but the worry is in signing them en-bloc, and on two year contracts. It seems HJ is taking a big gamble, which may, or may not come off. Now if County were to add some players with League experience that worry would dissipate somewhat. Or if he named a Head Coach with a history of improving youngsters then perhaps we could understand his master plan...

Ugo. likes this post

avatar
bonson&hunt
Posts : 23
Join date : 2024-05-01

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:03 am
Patience required I think. All very well planned. A signing a day for one week. We're all checking every morning who's next. Creating a lot of interest.
avatar
bonson&hunt
Posts : 23
Join date : 2024-05-01

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:18 am
Amberexile
Amberexile
Posts : 50
Join date : 2024-05-03

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:43 am
wattsville_boy wrote:
Ugo. wrote:Signs from Mickelover FC.

Scored 24 goals last season. Looks a good prospect.

Nothing wrong with the signings so far per se but most hold some risk and with them all being given. 2 year contracts that risk is increased.  

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/oliver-greaves-signs-newport-county

I agree.  I think all five players could be good signings individually, but the worry is in signing them en-bloc, and on two year contracts.  It seems HJ is taking a big gamble, which may, or may not come off.  Now if County were to add some players with League experience that worry would dissipate somewhat.  Or if he named a Head Coach with a history of improving youngsters then perhaps we could understand his master plan...

I agree about adding players with league experience. We are likely to add 4 or 5 loan players with little or no league experience as well,
From these 5 signings, plus 5 loanees, plus Rai, Sanca, Wood, Seberry and Norris we have 15 players from which if we find 5 first team regulars we will have done exceptionally well with regards to the rate of return on what I assume are low cost options. 1 in 3 doesn't seem a huge ratio for achieving that.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy
Posts : 94
Join date : 2024-05-01
Location : Caerphilly County

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:02 pm
Amberexile wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:
Ugo. wrote:Signs from Mickelover FC.

Scored 24 goals last season. Looks a good prospect.

Nothing wrong with the signings so far per se but most hold some risk and with them all being given. 2 year contracts that risk is increased.  

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/oliver-greaves-signs-newport-county

I agree.  I think all five players could be good signings individually, but the worry is in signing them en-bloc, and on two year contracts.  It seems HJ is taking a big gamble, which may, or may not come off.  Now if County were to add some players with League experience that worry would dissipate somewhat.  Or if he named a Head Coach with a history of improving youngsters then perhaps we could understand his master plan...

I agree about adding players with league experience. We are likely to add 4 or 5 loan players with little or no league experience as well,
From these 5 signings, plus 5 loanees, plus Rai, Sanca, Wood, Seberry and Norris we have 15 players from which if we find 5 first team regulars we will have done exceptionally well with regards to the rate of return on what I assume are low cost options. 1 in 3 doesn't seem a huge ratio for achieving that.

I suspect loan signings will be less prominent. I think HJ is favouring promising youngsters to taking loan signings, possibly due to loans having been of variable quality.

I'm trying not to be negative, mainly because I've been advocating for many years on the previous version of this forum for providing a route to the first team from the Academy. I think getting the overall age of the squad down is the right policy (and John Toshack/Brian Flynn doing so certainly bore fruit for Wales) but it is a shock to the system to see five players aged 22-24 arrive in a week. It's a two edged sword - it's exciting to see the potential promise these youngsters possess, but also it's worrying that it's all youngsters and few players with knowledge of what is needed for success at this level. Or someone to pull all the strands of the club together and provide a 'way to play'...

markvickery likes this post

Amberexile
Amberexile
Posts : 50
Join date : 2024-05-03

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:51 pm
I think one thing the squad currently lacks if a natural choice as club captain.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy
Posts : 94
Join date : 2024-05-01
Location : Caerphilly County

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Amberexile wrote:I think one thing the squad currently lacks if a natural choice as club captain.

Well you're looking for the 'more established' players to step up. Which means Clarke and Jameson at the back, Morris in midfield, McLoughlin wherever he plays. Morris was a near ever-present last season and McLoughlin is a 'Mr Dependable' in terms of performance. My guess would be between one of those.

However there are more signings to come I feel, so perhaps a 'natural choice for club captain' will be amongst them...
Sponsored content

Oliver Greaves Empty Re: Oliver Greaves

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum