weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts?

+6
George Guest
Taunton iron cider
CountyKiller
wattsville_boy
bonson&hunt
Stan A. Einstein
10 posters
Go down
Stan A. Einstein
Stan A. Einstein

Your thoughts? Empty Your thoughts?

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:16 pm
We are signing players but don't have a manager. Is this Huw Jenkins decision or is the manager already in place but yet to be announced?

I genuinely have no idea.
bonson&hunt

Your thoughts? Empty Re: Your thoughts?

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:50 pm
Stan, it indicates to me that Jenkins will pull all the strings & the manager will just be a coach.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:28 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote:We are signing players but don't have a manager. Is this Huw Jenkins decision or is the manager already in place but yet to be announced?

I genuinely have no idea.

I seems to me the wrong way round. It gives the Head Coach, whomever it will be and whenever he is appointed, an easy excuse for failure - 'They weren't players I would have signed'...

Tbh I'm half expecting next week when pre-season starts an announcement that HJ is the new Head Coach... Very Happy
CountyKiller
CountyKiller

Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:14 pm
My gut feeling is HJ after some deliberation at the end of April. Decided GC wasn't the right fit and has given him and JD their marching orders in May. He has gone out chasing a number of new recruits and a manager. All will be revealed before 1/7. I doubt HJ would put his investment in jeopardy and have a squad without a coach when preseason starts on Monday.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:06 am
CountyKiller wrote:My gut feeling is HJ after some deliberation at the end of April. Decided GC wasn't the right fit and has given him and JD their marching orders in May. He has gone out chasing a number of new recruits and a manager. All will be revealed before 1/7. I doubt HJ would put his investment in jeopardy and have a squad without a coach when preseason starts on Monday.

No but leaving it until last week to finally put Coughlan 'out of his misery' rather than doing it seven weeks earlier has created a problem in itself. The fact that a Head Coach has not been appointed suggests it wasn't a planned thing, but as a result of a possible prolonged argument regarding whom is responsible for recruitment. And I suspect he's having some problems in getting someone to take the gig.

But I could be proved wrong if tomorrow County appoint someone to the role...

Oldcromwellian likes this post

Taunton iron cider
Taunton iron cider

Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:13 am
wattsville_boy wrote:
CountyKiller wrote:My gut feeling is HJ after some deliberation at the end of April. Decided GC wasn't the right fit and has given him and JD their marching orders in May. He has gone out chasing a number of new recruits and a manager. All will be revealed before 1/7. I doubt HJ would put his investment in jeopardy and have a squad without a coach when preseason starts on Monday.

No but leaving it until last week to finally put Coughlan 'out of his misery' rather than doing it seven weeks earlier has created a problem in itself.  The fact that a Head Coach has not been appointed suggests it wasn't a planned thing, but as a result of a possible prolonged argument regarding whom is responsible for recruitment.  And I suspect he's having some problems in getting someone to take the gig.

But I could be proved wrong if tomorrow County appoint someone to the role...

Let’s be fair, who amongst us would like to work for an autocrat where your opinion or decisions simply do not count? Well that is precisely what is being expected of the new Head Coach, and I suspect a possible reason why GC may have left.
George Guest

Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:02 am
The way that HJ is operating was hinted at when he addressed supporters before he took ownership of the club. He was going be very much hands on. But I am not convinced that he meant to dispense with GC and JD until something happened to cause a bust up fairly recently. There may well be no-one waiting in the wings to be team coach.
Owlsabout

Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:10 am
Hands on is a good thing especially after the failures of running the club in the past after all its in his best interests.I've no doubt the manager will be announced soon and I've no doubt he would have had an input into these signings
Oldcromwellian
Oldcromwellian

Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:31 am
George Guest wrote:The way that HJ is operating was hinted at when he addressed supporters before he took ownership of the club. He was going be very much hands on. But I am not convinced that he meant to dispense with GC and JD until something happened to cause a bust up fairly recently. There may well be no-one waiting in the wings to be team coach.

My opinion is the same.
Amberexile
Amberexile

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:26 am
Oldcromwellian wrote:
George Guest wrote:The way that HJ is operating was hinted at when he addressed supporters before he took ownership of the club. He was going be very much hands on. But I am not convinced that he meant to dispense with GC and JD until something happened to cause a bust up fairly recently. There may well be no-one waiting in the wings to be team coach.

My opinion is the same.

I agree, this is what people voted for, it was always going to be Huw's project. He's almost playing a real life game of Football Manager with the club and we are not alone in the world of football in that respect. But perhaps the delay in unveiling a head coach is waiting for a current contract to terminate at the end of June?
lowandhard
lowandhard

Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:27 pm
Oldcromwellian wrote:

My opinion is the same.

I’d be very surprised if HJ hasn’t already lined somebody up for the position, after all there were these players lined up so why wouldn’t he have scoped coaches as well? I suspect he’s announcing these signings to warm up the interest in pre-season before the big reveal. I could be wrong of course but it wouldn’t tie I with his considered actions up to now. Incidentally, has Coughlan said anything following his departure? If so I may have missed it.
Amberexile
Amberexile

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:09 pm
lowandhard wrote:
Oldcromwellian wrote:

My opinion is the same.

I’d be very surprised if HJ hasn’t already lined somebody up for the position, after all there were these players lined up so why wouldn’t he have scoped coaches as well? I suspect he’s announcing these signings to warm up the interest in pre-season before the big reveal. I could be wrong of course but it wouldn’t tie I with his considered actions up to now. Incidentally, has Coughlan said anything following his departure? If so I may have missed it.

It is often the case when managers are let go by mutual consent that part of the agreement is the signing a non-disclosure agreement effectively gagging them for a period of time. I guess if that is the case here, we won't find out because of the NDA itself.
lowandhard
lowandhard

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:49 pm
You’re probably right. In any case, I don’t think it matters if it takes a week or so to appoint a coach because we already have a first team and goalkeeping coach at the club and it’s HJ who’s making all the signings and calling all the shots. The new first team coach must dance to his tune.

Oldcromwellian likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum