weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Bennett departs

+6
Taunton iron cider
lowandhard
wattsville_boy
TheHappyCrapper
Mr Hamid
Amberexile
10 posters
Go down
Amberexile
Amberexile

Scott Bennett departs Empty Scott Bennett departs

Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:57 pm
Mr Hamid

Scott Bennett departs Empty Re: Scott Bennett departs

Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:46 pm
Fair dues, I'm cheesed right off over this.
TheHappyCrapper

Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:17 pm
Really disappointing news to be honest. Sounds like he really wanted to finish his career with us but obviously contract discussions over the last month have not got close enough for him and he will no doubt have better financial options for him to decide to leave. Although slowed up in recent seasons I still think he could have offered the squad something with his positional versatility in the team and through his experience to benefit our younger players. Good luck Benno!
Amberexile
Amberexile

Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:43 pm
While it could be looked at as just one player, the bigger worry for me is whether it is the first sign that we might be unable to compete in the transfer market again this year.

Also in the statement the club have put out, the least they could have done is thank him for the service he has given to the club.

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2024/june/scot-bennett-departs-newport-county/

The best Cornishman to ever play for the club.

TheHappyCrapper likes this post

wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:08 am
Sad news. Still had something to offer the club. Made up for slowing up by positional play. Lets see whom comes through the door as replacement...

lowandhard and TheHappyCrapper like this post

lowandhard
lowandhard

Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:04 am
[quote="wattsville_boy"]Sad news.  Still had something to offer the club.  Made up for slowing up by positional play.  Lets see whom comes through the door as replacement...[/
The best reader of a game of football I’ve seen at the club, I’m gutted by this. As I may have intimated earlier, this is a very worrying development, that we can’t offer an acceptable deal to a club stalwart (and at the end of the season, captain), that he can envisage accepting. As I see it, it must have been insulting and/or derisory given that the much-respected player saw himself seeing out his career at our club. He still had a rôle to play with us in my opinion.
Taunton iron cider
Taunton iron cider

Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:17 am
Sad as I am to see Benno go, the reality is that finances are limited,. So putting sentiment to one side, is it better to allocate any money to sign a player on the way up, or one in his playing twilight years?
HJ will be rightfully demanding of GC that he gets value for money from his playing budget. Where I do have slight concern is the lack of signings, with many of our competitors already having many in the bag are we to be tail end Charlie’s once again?

wattsville_boy and TheHappyCrapper like this post

Risca_Exile
Risca_Exile

Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:53 pm
lowandhard
lowandhard

Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:11 pm
Flynny setting up shop locally was always going to be a problem with the retention of players who he has got on well with previously. Either Flynn is splashing the cash or longer contracts than we can afford as Benno was seemingly settled here. Worrying considering there’s another club now fishing in the same pond as us as FGR will still have a decent budget as well.
George Guest

Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:17 pm
Joe Day also being linked with Cheltenham.
Morky

Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:20 am
lowandhard wrote:Flynny setting up shop locally was always going to be a problem with the retention of players who he has got on well with previously. Either Flynn is splashing the cash or longer contracts than we can afford as Benno was seemingly settled here. Worrying considering there’s another club now fishing in the same pond as us as FGR will still have a decent budget as well.

Just look at skillful attacking players who like to play football, no chance they'll get noticed by Flynn.
Amberexile
Amberexile

Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:46 am
Taunton iron cider wrote:Sad as I am to see Benno go, the reality is that finances are limited,. So putting sentiment to one side, is it better to allocate any money to sign a player on the way up, or one in his playing twilight years?
HJ will be rightfully demanding of GC that he gets value for money from his playing budget. Where I do have slight concern is the lack of signings, with many of our competitors already having many in the bag are we to be tail end Charlie’s once again?

Other than Evans, I can't think of another player who was better value than Bennett last season.

While there is a long way to go to the start of the season, it does feel like we are going backwards. Getting 2 of the 3 we are still negotiating with to sign during the next week or so would start to redress that, To compare with last season, by this time next week, Clarke, Townsend, Bennett, and Wood had all signed for us. Although the season does start a week later this year which could be making things look worse than they really are.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:59 pm
Amberexile wrote:
Taunton iron cider wrote:Sad as I am to see Benno go, the reality is that finances are limited,. So putting sentiment to one side, is it better to allocate any money to sign a player on the way up, or one in his playing twilight years?

Other than Evans, I can't think of another player who was better value than Bennett last season.

While there is a long way to go to the start of the season, it does feel like we are going backwards. Getting 2 of the 3 we are still negotiating with  to sign during the next week or so would start to redress that, To compare with last season, by this time next week, Clarke, Townsend, Bennett, and Wood had all signed for us. Although the season does start a week later this year  which could be making things look worse than they really are.

We don't know if they've started pre-season training yet. Usually there's a photo of players being beasted in the fitness part at the start of pre-season training.

But it is now six weeks since the last game. I hope that's long enough 'down time' for a squad that hadn't got a win for six weeks prior to that. That's essentially 12 weeks of 'being on the beach'. If County are not back to work tomorrow I think it's a disgrace. Big Time.

(sorry couldn't resist that last bit)... Very Happy
Amberexile
Amberexile

Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:37 pm
wattsville_boy wrote:
Amberexile wrote:

While there is a long way to go to the start of the season, it does feel like we are going backwards. Getting 2 of the 3 we are still negotiating with  to sign during the next week or so would start to redress that, To compare with last season, by this time next week, Clarke, Townsend, Bennett, and Wood had all signed for us. Although the season does start a week later this year  which could be making things look worse than they really are.

We don't know if they've started pre-season training yet.  Usually there's a photo of players being beasted in the fitness part at the start of pre-season training.

But it is now six weeks since the last game.  I hope that's long enough 'down time' for a squad that hadn't got a win for six weeks prior to that.  That's essentially 12 weeks of 'being on the beach'.  If County are not back to work tomorrow I think it's a disgrace.  Big Time.

(sorry couldn't resist that last bit)... Very Happy

Last year pre-season training started 22nd June.
sjg99
sjg99

Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:57 pm
1st July is pretty much the breakpoint, new players aren't formally contracted until then, which makes actual training a little tricky unless there are a lot of 2 year deals rolling over (and there rarely are at this level).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum