weareexiles.net - Voice of Newport County fans since 2005!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players released by other clubs

+9
Bangitintrnet
excessbee
ajs
Paulm
Oldcromwellian
Ghosty
Amberexile
George Guest
wattsville_boy
13 posters
Go down
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Players released by other clubs Empty Players released by other clubs

Thu May 02, 2024 5:16 pm
Okay we've reached that part of the year between seasons and we need to replace football with arguing the toss with each other about ridiculous things instead.

So County have yet to announce their retained/released lists but other teams have. It's probably fair to say that most will be beyond the budget but lets ignore whether we could sign particular players and discuss players that we may be able to afford or whom could be a decent signing for County.

I'll start. Lee Evans has been released by Portsmouth. Matty Stevens released by FGR. Both could be decent acquisitions if the budget allows...

Mr Pontymister, ellsky and amberandy like this post

George Guest

Players released by other clubs Empty Re: Players released by other clubs

Fri May 03, 2024 3:23 pm
BenTozer among a whole bunch released by Wrexham. But age 34 now.

Amberexile
Amberexile

Fri May 03, 2024 3:39 pm
Not sure Tozer has much more than a long throw to offer these days does he?
Ghosty

Fri May 03, 2024 4:36 pm
Matty Stevens is now too slow, not my opinion, but FGR fans on their forum throughout the season
Amberexile
Amberexile

Sat May 04, 2024 10:43 am
Didn't Coughlan say that our lists would be published during the week? I hope any delay doesn't lead to issues similar to those experienced last summer.
Oldcromwellian
Oldcromwellian

Sat May 04, 2024 11:04 am
It would be no surprise to me that some of those who have been offered new contracts will be hoping to get better elsewhere. Having said that I would have thought the list of those released and any who have been offered new or improved/ extended contracts could have been published. Maybe GC and HJ are still debating who should be on either list and what their renumerations should be.
George Guest

Sat May 04, 2024 1:02 pm
Don't expect much interest in our players except Townsend and Evans. Maybe McGloughlin.

Flockton67 likes this post

wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sat May 04, 2024 1:41 pm
I suspect the reality is that some players will have booked a holiday for when the season ended. They may have initially waited to see about play-off possiblities but would have soon realised during the eight loss run that they can fly on the Sunday after Bradford. From a players viewpoint they're being paid until end of June whether they are retained or released, so why not have time away to chill...
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sat May 04, 2024 1:45 pm
Ghosty wrote:Matty Stevens is now too slow, not my opinion, but FGR  fans on their forum throughout the season

You're possibly correct. His decline over a fairly short period of time is remarkable. Unfortunately County are possibly looking players that have declined, be it from a spate of injuries, or loss of form/confidence in ability. Matty Stevens is 26, so should be at his peak...
Oldcromwellian
Oldcromwellian

Sat May 04, 2024 3:37 pm
It's only a hunch, but given Delaney's protracted negotiations, before his signing, and only doing so for one year, I suspect he'd be hoping for a better offer than one we are likely to give.

sjg99 likes this post

Paulm

Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 am
Depending on the appetite of FGR they will probably over pay if they want to bounce straight back

Oldcromwellian likes this post

wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Tue May 07, 2024 5:40 pm
Anthony Hartigan released by Mansfield. Still only 24.
Callum Connolly released by Blackpool, 26 and can play anywhere across back four and in midfield...
ajs

Wed May 08, 2024 7:22 am
I think the delay is more likely to be because those he wants to stay are not happy to do so, therefore he will have to review those he does not want. Most clubs will discuss or seek the intentions of those they see as there requirements for next season first. Last season there were four who GC wanted but they didn't want to stay/play for him, Lewis was even prepare to attend trials rather than stay. GC is not a good man manager, slags players off publically to often, hardly likely to create a bond is it. His management reflects his playing days, aggressive, hard, but little skill. We can do better.
Bristol Rovers manager told those he didn't want 8 or 9 games before the end of the season, he was then complaing they weren't trying, is this what GC did?
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 am
ajs wrote:I think the delay is more likely to be because those he wants to stay are not happy to do so, therefore he will have to review those he does not want. Most clubs will discuss or seek the intentions of those they see as there requirements for next season first. Last season there were four who GC wanted but they didn't want to stay/play for him, Lewis was even prepare to attend trials rather than stay. GC is not a good man manager, slags players off publically to often, hardly likely to create a bond is it. His management reflects his playing days, aggressive, hard, but little skill. We can do better.
Bristol Rovers manager told those he didn't want 8 or 9 games before the end of the season, he was then complaing they weren't trying, is this what GC did?

If what you claim is true, or has elements of truth to it, then HJ is likely to be aware of this and might have taken action by now. I'm not necessarily stating you're wrong, just that if the Manager (and after an eight game losing streak) is now having problems retaining the players he wishes then surely HJ would resolve the issue by sacking GC and bringing someone more attuned to the 'Swansea Way'...
Amberexile
Amberexile

Wed May 08, 2024 11:07 am
Last season we issued the retained list on 10th May but our season finished later with our last match being on 8th may. Players were categorised as one of -

The following players remain in contract for next season:
Contract offers have been made to the following players:
The following players have been released:
The following players will be returning to their parent clubs:

I see no reason why we could not have done the same this season within a couple of days of finishing the season as other clubs have done.

I'm sure we can all make our guesses as to who will be in each category.

I can see two main potential obstacles to this, I'm sure there could be many others. One is that we may consider offering a new contract to a player but only once another player has turned down their offer and secondly maybe we are in dispute with player(s) about the terms of extension rights in existing contracts?
excessbee

Wed May 08, 2024 11:18 am
With hindsight, I wonder if the transfer fund splurged on Jephcott might have persuaded Delaney to sign an extension.
Bangitintrnet

Wed May 08, 2024 11:20 am
To me the benefit of releasing early is for players to find new teams. If you want to improve on what you have, it might be best to wait until most players are in the market place, before judging if keeping or replacing is the best option for players out of contract.
wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Tue May 21, 2024 4:08 pm
wattsville_boy wrote:Okay we've reached that part of the year between seasons and we need to replace football with arguing the toss with each other about ridiculous things instead.

So County have yet to announce their retained/released lists but other teams have.  It's probably fair to say that most will be beyond the budget but lets ignore whether we could sign particular players and discuss players that we may be able to afford or whom could be a decent signing for County.

I'll start.  Lee Evans has been released by Portsmouth.  Matty Stevens released by FGR.  Both could be decent acquisitions if the budget allows...

I see Matty Stevens has gone to AFC Wimbledon.

Harry Smith has turned down a new contract with Sutton. Looked really good when he was with Leyton Orient. Worth considering if County decided to go a big man up top and a nippy one. For clarification I'm suggesting at 6'5" he'd be the big man up top.

How I miss those days of the big man and the quick one...
bonson&hunt

Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 am
Toshack & Keegan
p6n1q3f8

Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:03 am
Are these teams looking for someone more affordable? It's strange to me because many sites like this serve as sponsors for many teams.

Last edited by p6n1q3f8 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Hamid

Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:03 pm
Young keeper, Lewis Webb, has been released from Swansea.

I think he's a Newport boy anyway, so he might end up here as a backup.

1912 Exiles likes this post

wattsville_boy
wattsville_boy

Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:35 pm
Mr Hamid wrote:Young keeper, Lewis Webb, has been released from Swansea.

I think he's a Newport boy anyway, so he might end up here as a backup.

I see Cardiff have released Oliver Denham. I thought he was destined for big things. Might be worth looking at as a trialist if he isn't snapped up before that.
sjg99
sjg99

Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:00 pm
bonson&hunt wrote:Toshack & Keegan

Seems more like a prediction now... Shocked

bonson&hunt likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum