Grandstand: Newport County A.F.C vs Crawley Town F.C.

- We lost 4-1 in the reverse fixture so it would be nice to get some pride back.
- Played each other 19 times, winning six, drawing five, and losing eight.
- We're 12th place (55 pts) and lost our last 2 games. Mathematically we can still make the play-offs.
- Crawley in 9th place on 59 pts with realistic play-off chances.
- Long term injuries = Delaney/Seberry/McLoughlin/Clarke/Bogle.
- Players needing a rest = Evans/Morris/Benno all look knackered and been overplayed this season.

Realistically I think the season is done. Everyone can be proud of everything we've achieved. Consolidating L2 safety off the back of losing our best players (again) last summer and having to gamble on injury prone players/loanees again. We could have easily become the L2 basket case. The fact it's FGR this season just goes to show how important the MANAGER is at any level of football but especially L2 (Just look at Northampton/Stevenage/Carlisle last season). We had the smallest wage budget but one of the best Managers. On the flip-side they had one of the biggest wage budgets but chose to experiment with unproven Managers and it's going to cost them their place in the EFL...

Re: Grandstand: Newport County A.F.C vs Crawley Town F.C.

Amberexile wrote: April 1st, 2024, 5:03 pm I generally don't like the phrase "lost the changing room" but they certainly aren't playing for him at the moment. Jenkins has some big decisions to make soon and while they are big, they are being made easy for him.

While it is annoying to hear Radio Wales taking the piss out of us, it is justified today.
My feeling is GC's position is safe and he's already sorted out the retained list, so there really isn't anything for the players to play for anymore. Hence the lack of effort all round...

wattsville_boy wrote: April 1st, 2024, 6:01 pm
Amberexile wrote: April 1st, 2024, 5:03 pm I generally don't like the phrase "lost the changing room" but they certainly aren't playing for him at the moment. Jenkins has some big decisions to make soon and while they are big, they are being made easy for him.

While it is annoying to hear Radio Wales taking the piss out of us, it is justified today.
My feeling is GC's position is safe and he's already sorted out the retained list, so there really isn't anything for the players to play for anymore. Hence the lack of effort all round...
Your analysis is plausible. However my view is that it is more likely that Coughlan will go as will most of his players. Hence the collapse in form.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 1st, 2024, 5:04 pm
flat4 wrote: April 1st, 2024, 4:58 pm You have to ask, what the hell is going on behind the scenes, the whole club seem to have thrown in the towel, worst home defeat in six years.
My guess and it is little more than a guess, is that Huw Jenkins wants his own man in and that Graham Coughlan is aware of that.
I think invariably HJ does want his own man but my view is that we could lose the remaining games this season and he won’t get sacked. The problem is the players not the Manager. Either being injury prone or not good enough our squad needs a complete rebuild.