Re: Evans for Wales?

The problem is that if he's called up he'll miss some County games and in all probability would not even make the match day squad. I'm all for him being called up to experience the environment, but with an outside possibility of making the play-offs do we really want that.

Now if Wales wanted to call up three County player so that County could call off games due to International call ups I would be fully in favour...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 28th, 2024, 12:32 pm The problem is that if he's called up he'll miss some County games and in all probability would not even make the match day squad. I'm all for him being called up to experience the environment, but with an outside possibility of making the play-offs do we really want that.

Now if Wales wanted to call up three County player so that County could call off games due to International call ups I would be fully in favour...
Not sure any postponements would do us any favours with only 8 weeks of the season left from Sat and 12 games left to play.

wattsville_boy wrote: February 28th, 2024, 12:32 pm The problem is that if he's called up he'll miss some County games and in all probability would not even make the match day squad. I'm all for him being called up to experience the environment, but with an outside possibility of making the play-offs do we really want that.

Yes, the eternal club vs country issue.

I think whether he would get used or not is a difficult one to judge. It will depend greatly on the result of the first match. If Wales lose that first game then the second game is a friendly when the tendency will be to use the fringe players giving him a decent chance of getting on the pitch at some point. It would also become the starting point of building towards the Nations League and World Cup qualifiers having failed to reach the Euros when Page should want to start looking at as many options as he can both in that match and the June friendly matches.

I think it would have made sense to have called Will Evans up for the friendly internationals. Players, especially strikers, often look world beaters until they step up a class. The only way you know if a player can step up is when they do.
My analysis. I don't think it Will Evans will be in the Welsh squad, it would an error to bring in him in unless tested first in friendlies. I also think it was a big mistake not to have tried him out in previous friendly games.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2024, 2:21 pm I think it would have made sense to have called Will Evans up for the friendly internationals. Players, especially strikers, often look world beaters until they step up a class. The only way you know if a player can step up is when they do.
My analysis. I don't think it Will Evans will be in the Welsh squad, it would an error to bring in him in unless tested first in friendlies. I also think it was a big mistake not to have tried him out in previous friendly games.

The last friendlies were in October. When the squad was picked, Will Evans, in his career, had made just 12 League 2 apps scoring 9 goals. I don’t see how it was a mistake not to pick him.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 2:44 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2024, 2:21 pm I think it would have made sense to have called Will Evans up for the friendly internationals. Players, especially strikers, often look world beaters until they step up a class. The only way you know if a player can step up is when they do.

The last friendlies were in October. When the squad was picked, Will Evans, in his career, had made just 12 League 2 apps scoring 9 goals. I don’t see how it was a mistake not to pick him.
You may be right. Although 9 goals in 12 games is quite a return.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2024, 3:48 pm

I agree, but I don’t think anyone (at the time) would have seriously thought that Evans should have been called up then. That said, even though it’s only league 2, Wales have capped some utter shite in the past, so why not 🤷‍♂️😂

The last time we had friendlies plural in a single window was June 2021. When we have a friendly match these days, it tends to be coupled with a competitive match due to having qualifying groups with differing numbers of teams. The emphasis will always be on picking a squad for the competitive match in each such window.

In October for example, Wales had to beat Croatia to stand a chance of finishing second in the group. This match was given priority over the friendly match against Gibraltar which was used as preparation for the Croatia match giving match time to players returning from injury or not getting picked by their clubs. In that game, Swansea's Liam Cullen was given his senior debut in a forward role with Moore and Broadhead.

Cullen is an obvious candidate for the March squad but at 5ft 10ins compared to Evans 6ft 1ins, maybe Evans is closer in size and style to Keiffer Moore?

Wales will next play 2 friendly matches together this June although the opponents and venue for one is yet to be announced.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 3:54 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 28th, 2024, 3:48 pm

I agree, but I don’t think anyone (at the time) would have seriously thought that Evans should have been called up then. That said, even though it’s only league 2, Wales have capped some utter shite in the past, so why not 🤷‍♂️😂
And other than Keiffer Moore they don't really have any strikers. Loads of attacking midfielders playing as strikers. Or wingers pressed into a striking role...