Re: Joey Barton interview - interesting character

Crikey I hope none of you lot end up on jury service! Not the most willing to scrutinise the evidence or be very forgiving…

As I said I’m pretty neutral on the man, but don’t think he deserves the level of opprobrium he gets, I suppose as enlightened as some people think they are many people can’t quite stomach a working class scouser having and the horror-daring to share strong opinions, odd how we allow the likes of Lineker and Neville to have their say using their platforms but not Barton 🤔 is it the accent? The past and yes foolish transgressions? (The likes of which we seem willing to forgive for some [say Gazza, John Hartson, any number of other sportspeople, etc.] but not him), the ‘wrong’/unfashionable small c conservative opinions? Or an inability or fear of listening to the opinions of others however clumsily they are presented?

I don’t agree with much of what the man says but a surprising amount of it has a level of merit and much of it is what most people think.

In fairness it’s human nature to ‘other’ and scapegoat, I don’t think doing that is fair in any case, but if we wanted to do it there are those FAR more deserving of such opprobrium than Barton who is at worse a bit of a fool in the way he expresses himself (not very slick to say the least) and does it in the ‘wrong’ accent.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:01 pm Crikey I hope none of you lot end up on jury service! Not the most willing to scrutinise the evidence or be very forgiving…

As I said I’m pretty neutral on the man, but don’t think he deserves the level of opprobrium he gets, I suppose as enlightened as some people think they are many people can’t quite stomach a working class scouser having and the horror-daring to share strong opinions, odd how we allow the likes of Lineker and Neville to have their say using their platforms but not Barton 🤔 is it the accent? The past and yes foolish transgressions? (The likes of which we seem willing to forgive for some [say Gazza, John Hartson, any number of other sportspeople, etc.] but not him), the ‘wrong’/unfashionable small c conservative opinions? Or an inability or fear of listening to the opinions of others however clumsily they are presented?

I don’t agree with much of what the man says but a surprising amount of it has a level of merit and much of it is what most people think.

In fairness it’s human nature to ‘other’ and scapegoat, I don’t think doing that is fair in any case, but if we wanted to do it there are those FAR more deserving of such opprobrium than Barton who is at worse a bit of a fool in the way he expresses himself (not very slick to say the least) and does it in the ‘wrong’ accent.
It might be the fact that he beats women up.

SixtyYearFan wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:30 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 5th, 2024, 9:01 pm Crikey I hope none of you lot end up on jury service! Not the most willing to scrutinise the evidence or be very forgiving…

It might be the fact that he beats women up.
Is that alleged transgression on his charge sheet? 🤔 Again not a fan of the man but people seemed willing to forgive others such as Gazza, George Best and the USA women’s goalkeeper Hope Solo and many others for alleged domestic violence so why not Barton?

Disliking someone for their opinions doesn’t make that person the four letter words many have used to describe [him] nor open season to rake up past mistakes or allegations which any one of us may have made/could have [such allegations] levelled against us.

I think you'll find he has big C views - for C*nt...

I'm no huge fan of him but I'm sticking to my view that he is an interesting if flawed character who (beyond the occasionally bizarre delivery of those views) has some interesting points and speaks some truth on various matters - he's no saint but he's no <insert silly playground insult here>* either.

No better/worse than many ex elite sportspeople or those with far lesser credentials who seek to offer opinions on and offline.

*I know many of you have just being doing it for giggles and probably nod along to much of what he says.

I have no strong feelings about him either way. He was cleared of assaulting his wife by the way. I don't really agree with his comments about female commentators. Eni Aluko was indeed wrong about her assessment of an AFCON player putting his laces through a shot when he in fact side footed it but so what. I'd rather have her or Emma Hayes comment on a game than Sam Matterface for example.

I do however have a huge problem with calls for him to be silenced or cancelled.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 6th, 2024, 10:20 am I have no strong feelings about him either way. He was cleared of assaulting his wife by the way. I don't really agree with his comments about female commentators. Eni Aluko was indeed wrong about her assessment of an AFCON player putting his laces through a shot when he in fact side footed it but so what. I'd rather have her or Emma Hayes comment on a game than Sam Matterface for example.

I do however have a huge problem with calls for him to be silenced or cancelled.
Very measured comment, I had forgotten he had been alleged (and cleared) of having assaulted his wife.

He's quite right about female pundits - *some*/many have been fast tracked beyond their abilities the women’s game is totally different (not ‘better’ nor ‘worse’) to the men’s game which does limit their credibility on matters elite men’s football and the vast majority of people agree with that but dare not say it - personally I find 'pundits' rather nauseating whatever their gender.