Predicament

There is no right answer to this, but as always I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Relegation has been avoided. I get that the play-offs are not out of the question, but I think it very unlikely.

With the showcase that was Manchester United and knowing that some contracts are coming to an end, notably Will Evans, should the club cash in now and seek to build a competitive team for next season? Or should we seek to accumulate as many points as possible?

I can see advantages of both options.

Re: Predicament

G Guest wrote: January 30th, 2024, 11:55 pm County are second in the 5 match current form table. Keep that up and they will qualify for the play offs comfortably. We no longer need the money from transfers so make a maximum effort.
I see your point but I think you are being somewhat optimistic. The team currently in the final play-off position are Notts County. They have 44 points from 28 games. If the team finishing 7th maintains that form 72 points may secure the final play-off place and 73 points should secure the final play off position.

Newport County therefore would need, to reasonably sure of achieving a play-off position, to secure 36 points from 18 games. Exactly two points per game between now and the end of the regular season.

That is possible but frankly as I said unlikely.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 30th, 2024, 9:53 pm There is no right answer to this, but as always I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Relegation has been avoided. I get that the play-offs are not out of the question, but I think it very unlikely.

With the showcase that was Manchester United and knowing that some contracts are coming to an end, notably Will Evans, should the club cash in now and seek to build a competitive team for next season? Or should we seek to accumulate as many points as possible?

Morning

I don't think we'd get a lot for Evans if it's correct his contract is up in June

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 31st, 2024, 12:59 am
G Guest wrote: January 30th, 2024, 11:55 pm County are second in the 5 match current form table. Keep that up and they will qualify for the play offs comfortably. We no longer need the money from transfers so make a maximum effort.
I see your point but I think you are being somewhat optimistic. The team currently in the final play-off position are Notts County. They have 44 points from 28 games. If the team finishing 7th maintains that form 72 points may secure the final play-off place and 73 points should secure the final play off position.

Newport County therefore would need, to reasonably sure of achieving a play-off position, to secure 36 points from 18 games. Exactly two points per game between now and the end of the regular season.

That is possible but frankly as I said unlikely.
Good point. Especially when you consider that Notts County were soooo much better than us at their place it was unreal. Injury problems or not. They’ve also got the top scorer in the division and top assisting midfielder.

Realistically we’re about 3 players away from being playoff standard IMO. A CB, box to box mid, #10 and hopefully in Jephcott we’ve got our strength in depth up front.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 30th, 2024, 9:53 pm There is no right answer to this, but as always I'd be interested in your thoughts.

should the club cash in now and seek to build a competitive team for next season? But Evans is a key part of a 'competitive team' - why the obsession with selling him? - if we hadn't had the 'cup run' then of course money would have been an issue but the [max] £750K we'd get would be outweighed by a loss of vital goals, I admit I'd said if we were getting £750K plus then we could consider selling but I personally don't think we should - unless he really wants to go in which case I don't believe we hold him back.

UPTHEPORT wrote: January 31st, 2024, 5:21 am

Morning

I don't think we'd get a lot for Evans if it's correct his contract is up in June
That would be true if only one club were interested in him and that club didn't feel Will Evans wouldn't significantly improve that club's chances of either winning promotion or avoiding relegation.

I agree to the extent that we would get far more if he had 18 months left on his contract.

From the new owner's media interviews over the last few days it's clear that part of his plan to make the club financially sustainable is for County to develop players and sell them on.
I'm pretty sure we will see that happen on a more regular basis than has happened in recent years.
Some may baulk at the idea of developing players for the benefit of others, but that's the reality of life in League 2 unless you have Hollywood owners or a huge fan base like Bradford. It's how Exeter have prospered for many years.
On the subject of Evans (and I'd love to be proved wrong), I'd be amazed if he is still with us after tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure Jephcott has been brought in as his replacement.

With regards to selling Evans or not. How many of our players have moved further up the pyramid when their contracts finished and we received jack!
Evans has a backup when his football is finished (degree, future part ownership of farm etc.) so a 2 or 3 year contract with at least double wages would appeal to him.

As for this season, I'm a pessimist (retired accountant) and always say get to 50 points and then look if we can kick on. We could still go on a Tim Harris type 10 match losing run

ghosty wrote: January 31st, 2024, 2:00 pm With regards to selling Evans or not. How many of our players have moved further up the pyramid when their contracts finished and we received jack!
Evans has a backup when his football is finished (degree, future part ownership of farm etc.) so a 2 or 3 year contract with at least double wages would appeal to him.

As for this season, I'm a pessimist (retired accountant) and always say get to 50 points and then look if we can kick on. We could still go on a Tim Harris type 10 match losing run
I'm of the same pessimistic mindset. We aren't yet safe, although don't think we will need to get as many as 50 pts this season. Hoping HJ will be ambitious enough to say no to anything other than 7 figure offers for players, and look to keep what we got, finish as high as we can ( anything above 15th will be a noteable achievement, and psychological improvement ) and look to strengthen for next season.

County have been the second best club over the last five matches averaging 2.2 points per game and the 5th best over the last 10, averaging 1.8 points a game. If the 10 match form is maintained over the remaining 18 games a season total of 69 /70 points would be achieved. That is only 2 or 3 points short of a playoff spot. Given the team's recent improved form it is possible that that small gap could be bridged by playing slightly better over the final 18 than in the most recent 10. HJ told the September meeting that one factor that attracted him to County was the possibility of a play off season this year.

The current top 5 clubs are listed below with their position in the 5 match current form table shown. All of them except Crewe are in decline. We are catching them up.

1 Stockport 11th
2 Wrexham 8th
3 Mansfield 16th
4 Barrow 18th
5 Crewe 1st
6 MK Dons 9th
7 Notts County 10th

16 Newport County 2nd

Personally I think Jephcott has been brought in to replace Bogle as I’m guessing we won’t want to shell out for whatever he wants for a new contract next season. Whilst I’d love a tilt at the playoffs this season could I realistically getting there and winning them? No. Do I want another Wembley defeat? No. I think we should be putting our eggs in the next season basket - trying to tie down McLoughlin to a new contract and build towards a more competitive side next year.