Re: Predicament

Nearly all lower league clubs depends on loans simply because of their budgets .in our case they have been vital because our academy as been a shambles for years with hardly anything coming through,our best teams is when we ve had good loan signings cooper azaz twine white to name a few .can't see much getting done today either way we are not going down we ve made a few bob in all a good season

I agree. We have seen some high quality players playing for the club under the loan system. Better players than we could sign in our own right. Not only would we lose competitiveness if we did not borrow players from higher ranked clubs but also would lose one way of finding players quickly when needed as they were a year ago.

G Guest wrote: February 1st, 2024, 6:29 pm I agree. We have seen some high quality players playing for the club under the loan system. Better players than we could sign in our own right. Not only would we lose competitiveness if we did not borrow players from higher ranked clubs but also would lose one way of finding players quickly when needed as they were a year ago.
Not forgetting they are usually have the price of a permanent signing.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 1st, 2024, 4:25 pm
County ranger wrote: February 1st, 2024, 4:14 pm
What you have to contend with is Premier clubs and Championship hoover up young talent, have huge intakes every year leaving academies like ours with crumbs, so the loan system has developed and prospered and is now prevalent in all L2 and many L1 clubs - the ability to get good loanees (all of who tend to be young and abit untried) is a key to success for many L2 and L1 clubs as we have seen for ourselves.
Is it? From my perspective it seems the system is designed to.keep.lower League teams in their place.
Well yes it does the hoover up reduces the pool for lower league clubs to develop real talent as most with any spark are taken into the glamour clubs - kudos great facilities etc. So, you are right the lower league clubs struggle to sustain progress as they lose two to four key players every year. The loanees.

County ranger wrote: February 1st, 2024, 9:18 pm
What you have to contend with is Premier clubs and Championship hoover up young talent, have huge intakes every year leaving academies like ours with crumbs, so the loan system has developed and prospered and is now prevalent in all L2 and many L1 clubs - the ability to get good loanees (all of who tend to be young and abit untried) is a key to success for many L2 and L1 clubs as we have seen for ourselves.
Is it? From my perspective it seems the system is designed to.keep.lower League teams in their place.
Well yes it does the hoover up reduces the pool for lower league clubs to develop real talent as most with any spark are taken into the glamour clubs - kudos great facilities etc. So, you are right the lower league clubs struggle to sustain progress as they lose two to four key players every year. The loanees.
Exeter were very successful at bringing on academy players to sell, but didn't get promoted. It was only after the sales dried up, did they go up a division.

It seems fighting on all fronts at the same time, with limited resources isn't actually easy.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 10:42 am
County ranger wrote: February 1st, 2024, 9:18 pm
Exeter were very successful at bringing on academy players to sell, but didn't get promoted. It was only after the sales dried up, did they go up a division.

It seems fighting on all fronts at the same time, with limited resources isn't actually easy.
They have also used loan players every season, including a couple from us and have 6 on their books currently.

L2 sides will always be towards the bottom of the pile regarding loans. The players on offer are kids that their parent club wishes to expose to 'adult' football. It is non-league or L2 that toughens them up (or possibly sees them off). Generally the seasons loan becomes six months if they are any good. I think there should be more honesty and that all loans should be initially until the end of Jan with the option of extension, rather than the parent club recalling them end of December to send them to a L1 side.

My hope is that at some stage County move to a position of having three loanees only (defender, midfield and striker) and look to other places in the squad going to Academy graduates. But that might take time.

The end game should be to emulate Exeter. They had an aim of one Academy graduates in the match day squad which was only broken earlier this season. It had been achieved for something like nine seasons or so, and only failed due to injury or suspension I believe.

I sure someone will tell me the exact details...

It is impossible to tell you how long I will live. My life expectancy is about 20 years. But people who share my day and year of birth will die today, others sharing that auspicious day back in 1957 will still be around 40 years from now.

Same applies to points needed to make the play-offs. I don't know who will occupy the final lay-off space but with a high degree of confidence I can tell you know that they will be in the low to mid seventies. And to illustrate why understanding probability is more important than being mathematically certain let me give you two examples.

On the opening day of the season it is mathematically possible to be crowned champions at the end of the season with 46 points. Every game in the season ends in a draw. Everyone has a goal difference of zero. It goes to goals scored. 46 points and score enough goals and the silverware is yours. Too few and 46 points you're relegated in an unbeaten season.

Example Two. One team lose all their matches. Every other team wins twenty two games and lose twenty two of their remaining forty four games. sixty six points, added to the six from the team every one has done the double over means that the team with the worst goal difference will be relegated with seventy two points. The same number of points as the champions.

Clearly the examples above are ridiculous. they illustrate though probability. Seriously given enough time, trillions upon trillions of seasons, it would happen.

We need two points a game from now until the end of the season to make the play-offs, regardless of what anyone else does. I think the chances of that remote. Even if we do that, it only gets us a play-off position. 250/1 seems not unduly generous. Feel free to contradict me. Whether I am right or wrong I'll return to this post on April 27th.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:09 pm It is impossible to tell you how long I will live. My life expectancy is about 20 years. But people who share my day and year of birth will die today, others sharing that auspicious day back in 1957 will still be around 40 years from now.

Same applies to points needed to make the play-offs. I don't know who will occupy the final lay-off space but with a high degree of confidence I can tell you know that they will be in the low to mid seventies. And to illustrate why understanding probability is more important than being mathematically certain let me give you two examples.

On the opening day of the season it is mathematically possible to be crowned champions at the end of the season with 46 points. Every game in the season ends in a draw. Everyone has a goal difference of zero. It goes to goals scored. 46 points and score enough goals and the silverware is yours. Too few and 46 points you're relegated in an unbeaten season.

Example Two. One team lose all their matches. Every other team wins twenty two games and lose twenty two of their remaining forty four games. sixty six points, added to the six from the team every one has done the double over means that the team with the worst goal difference will be relegated with seventy two points. The same number of points as the champions.

Clearly the examples above are ridiculous. they illustrate though probability. Seriously given enough time, trillions upon trillions of seasons, it would happen.

We need two points a game from now until the end of the season to make the play-offs, regardless of what anyone else does. I think the chances of that remote. Even if we do that, it only gets us a play-off position. 250/1 seems not unduly generous. Feel free to contradict me. Whether I am right or wrong I'll return to this post on April 27th.
Obviously it is more likely that one of the teams closer to the play-offs (or in the position) will prevail. But Leicester won the Premier League when they shouldn't, so miracles do sometimes happen.

I just think County should attack the February fixtures with a positive mindset and see where they stand at the end of that month...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:36 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:09 pm It is impossible to tell you how long I will live. My life expectancy is about 20 years. But people who share my day and year of birth will die today, others sharing that auspicious day back in 1957 will still be around 40 years from now.

Obviously it is more likely that one of the teams closer to the play-offs (or in the position) will prevail. But Leicester won the Premier League when they shouldn't, so miracles do sometimes happen.

I just think County should attack the February fixtures with a positive mindset and see where they stand at the end of that month...
I agree with you. And Newport winning promotion this season wouldn't be a miracle.

The reason I posted is that the predicament as I see it, is should we attempt the unlikely this season or invest in a plausibly better opportunity next season.

I have read the comments made on this board regarding loans and respect their views, however this my take. At the end of the season the 5 loanees will depart to their parent clubs, also there are a number of players who may not be kept eg Drysdale, Zanzala, Bowen, Waite, Bogle Maxted. This would mean GC having to find 10 or 11 new players, if we persist in 5 loanees then the same thing will happen the following season. JR got us into the play offs then lost Aziz, Cooper and other loanees to injury and losses became the norm, had these loanees remained fit and promotion followed we would have ended up like FGR. We need to build a team where most will remain with us and only minor surgery at the end of each season is required. I have looked the other L2 clubs and their loanee intake, it's ridiculous some only lasted months.

I think HJ may not be wanting a promotion this season but wouldn't object with County coming as close as possible to making the play offs (preferably last game scenario). That then gives him an opportunity to set play offs as a goal next season (and some additional revenue from a 'close call' this season)...

There’s a likelihood that Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield and Notts get promoted out of our division. No huge clubs coming down - Reading will depend on whether they are still a basket case. There are always surprises but next season looks fairly open and if we can improve in 2 or 3 positions I think we have a good basis for next season.

ajs wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:56 pm I have read the comments made on this board regarding loans and respect their views, however this my take. At the end of the season the 5 loanees will depart to their parent clubs, also there are a number of players who may not be kept eg Drysdale, Zanzala, Bowen, Waite, Bogle Maxted. This would mean GC having to find 10 or 11 new players, if we persist in 5 loanees then the same thing will happen the following season. JR got us into the play offs then lost Aziz, Cooper and other loanees to injury and losses became the norm, had these loanees remained fit and promotion followed we would have ended up like FGR. We need to build a team where most will remain with us and only minor surgery at the end of each season is required. I have looked the other L2 clubs and their loanee intake, it's ridiculous some only lasted months.
Perhaps a comparison of loanee intakes for teams that have recently been promoted to League 1 and stayed up would be relevant. Bristol Rovers, Cambridge, Port Vale, Stevenage etc.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:43 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:36 pm

I agree with you. And Newport winning promotion this season wouldn't be a miracle.

The reason I posted is that the predicament as I see it, is should we attempt the unlikely this season or invest in a plausibly better opportunity next season.
Well Brendan I think he’s been wise with this window and his attitude to commercial matters so far. Having said that, you really can’t decide when to get promoted! Just , as in the old football cliché, play it game by game and see what happens.