MY VIEW ON THE TRUST AGM AND 'CONSULTATIVE MEETING@

Obviously, I have to 'declare an interest' in the vote last night. Nonetheless, I was astonished that a substantial minority - however you count them - voted against a more transparent environment within the Trust. Perhaps I didn't argue the case well enough? As to the necessary majority, that issue was removed when the Board, irrespective of the majority required under the Trust Rules, voluntarily decided to accept the resolution. But for the record, in my opinion, this was an 'ordinary resolution' only requiring 50% of the votes. This was achieved on the show of hands count.

However, on another point, what was even more astonishing was that when it came to a vote on the approval of the Annual Accounts, the seperate agenda point on the approval of the Auditors was joined to it and the meeting was asked to vote the two through together. In a matter of seconds, we did. Tbh, I did not object because I was taken by surprise and the joined vote was passed in seconds by a show of hands and the ship had sailed. I think that a discussion on the reappointment of the Auditors would have been well worth it because these are the same Auditors who audit the books of the AFC and have done so for some years. Notwithstanding that, I think that the Trust Board should have carried out a prior to the AGM review of available Auditor options and offered to the meeting why they were recommending the current Auditors as opposed to other possible Auditors. I think the response would have been that the BOD has been so tied up,and reading between the lines so exhausted by, the demands of dealing with the takeover takeover that they have not had time to do this, even if they wanted too. Again, I have to say that I accept this in large part.

As to the post AGM 'consultation exercise' discussion, I felt much more enthused by what the Trust Board , through Colin Everett, was proposing. I think that many of the issues, which in my opinion, would lead to a more relevant and progressive Trust, were set out for consideration. I was also struck by the quality of responses from the Trust members. I am sure that there does exist the potential for capable Trust Board members to come forward and this may be sensibly aided by the Boards desire to create clarity over the role. competences, responsibilities and demands on Directors.

Re: MY VIEW ON THE TRUST AGM AND 'CONSULTATIVE MEETING@

In case of use, below are my notes from last night.

Roughly a hundred in attendance (probably just under). Chaired initially by Paul Marks, with Colin Everett doing most of the speaking towards the end.

1) Introduction and overview. Trust membership started the period at 979 (2021), going up to 1,089 (2022) and falling to 992 (2023). Donations remained at around £100k per year, which has helped sustain the club.
2) Formal resolutions. Meeting approved the accounts and statements for 2021/22 and 2022/23.
3) Members resolution (proposed by Chris Davis). Chris put forward a resolution for the Trust to adopt a transparency policy. Leaves flexibility for the Trust board and members to develop it in a way that’s workable – just binding them to bring it forward by the end of July. Strong views in both directions, some people saying we need more openness and others saying it binds the hand of the Trust board in terms of commercial confidentiality. The proposition was carried by 40 votes to 30. There was some discussion about whether or not it required a two-thirds majority to pass (which it hadn't secured); in the end the Trust Board agreed to just accept the resolution and work towards it.
4) Current position of the Trust. 1,214 members at 9 January, with £73,000 in donations received so far this financial year. £12,968 in the bank, and £66k has been donated to the club.

That concluded the formal AGM business. We then moved into what was termed an ‘informal meeting’ to discuss the future of the Trust and elections. Three key points to note:

1) There is a plan for a survey of all Trust members ahead of a further formal meeting (around April) to formally agree next steps. It will cover:
  • Adoption of new model constitution recommended by Supporters Direct;
  • Resetting our objectives and priorities;
  • Election for the Club and Trust directors;
  • Fundraising plans and targets;
  • Communications and consultations with Trust members;
  • Trust members recruitment and retention;
  • Review of benefits of Trust membership.
2) Paul Marks and Shaun Johnson will remain the Trust reps on the Club Board until fresh elections can be held. All six Trust directors will stay as Trust directors until elections. There will be two elections – for the Trust Board, and then for the Club Board.

3) The Trust will retain its 27% shareholding in the club.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:49 am For what it's worth, Chris, I voted in support of your resolution. People were right to ask how the requirement for transparency would sit with the need for commercial confidentiality from time to time - but as I understood it, that's exactly why the Trust Board were being given flexibility and time to develop something that balanced those two considerations.
Thanks for your vote. You are exactly right about what it gave the Trust Board.

Chris Davis wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:56 am
Kairdiff Exile wrote: January 26th, 2024, 9:49 am For what it's worth, Chris, I voted in support of your resolution. People were right to ask how the requirement for transparency would sit with the need for commercial confidentiality from time to time - but as I understood it, that's exactly why the Trust Board were being given flexibility and time to develop something that balanced those two considerations.
Quite, as I remarked to one who voted against the motion “ We mushrooms are not demanding to bask in the heat of a tropical sun but merely to glimpse the winter orb through the trees that obscure it “. It’s not a lot to ask and would in no way require a breach of faith or confidential matters. For a start we need timely and regular reports of the Board meetings.

lowandhard wrote: January 26th, 2024, 11:12 am
Quite, as I remarked to one who voted against the motion “ We mushrooms are not demanding to bask in the heat of a tropical sun but merely to glimpse the winter orb through the trees that obscure it “. It’s not a lot to ask and would in no way require a breach of faith or confidential matters. For a start we need timely and regular reports of the Board meetings.
Here we go, the Trust are no longer running the club, so it should be regular updates of trust board meetings.

The club spends a lot of money at Rodney Parade, let's put one trust representative on that board, to find out how to actually run things extremely badly.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 26th, 2024, 12:32 pm
Here we go, the Trust are no longer running the club, so it should be regular updates of trust board meetings.

The club spends a lot of money at Rodney Parade, let's put one trust representative on that board, to find out how to actually run things extremely badly.
That’s exactly what I’m asking for ie timely minutes of Trust meetings

lowandhard wrote: January 26th, 2024, 12:57 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: January 26th, 2024, 12:32 pm

That’s exactly what I’m asking for ie timely minutes of Trust meetings
And what precisely does it actually achieve? We don't run the club, so the trust boards duties and imput into the club will be very little. So you want to know that very little has happened since the last trust board meeting?

Even the notion that the trust must have elections, has copying the UK Government’s electoral system been successful?

The message that proceeded this trust meeting was how the Trust is run in the future. Is having elections the best method?

Why are posters above upset that no elections were held last night, if the trust membership wants to re write its constitution and scrap elections?

Is the best use of future trust subscriptions to fund a professional representitive with excellent experience, on the club board instead? Would that actually end up helping the club far more?

lowandhard wrote: January 26th, 2024, 1:46 pm I can’t believe that you think that Trust members should not want to hear the business that occurs at Trust meetings! That’s far worse than what occurs in Russia and China! The Trust is responsible to its members and should make information available to them. I know it may be difficult for you to follow but it isn’t believe it or not, supposed to be a secret society!
I think trust members are far more likely to be interested in why club relationships, like that between RP and the club are being kept secret, and what would we learn if there actually was no secret society...........

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:03 pm
lowandhard wrote: January 26th, 2024, 1:46 pm I can’t believe that you think that Trust members should not want to hear the business that occurs at Trust meetings! That’s far worse than what occurs in Russia and China! The Trust is responsible to its members and should make information available to them. I know it may be difficult for you to follow but it isn’t believe it or not, supposed to be a secret society!
I think trust members are far more likely to be interested in why club relationships, like that between RP and the club are being kept secret, and what would we learn if there actually was no secret society...........

I’m a Trust member and can confirm that you are an absolute brown nosed ******

Exile 1976 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:33 pm

When people have a vote they are far more interested in hanging the existing incumbent, than they are in changing the future. It's all about power, I have the power and I am going to show those bustards.....

We get what we deserve unfortunately, and people above ignoring what a vote upon openness of trust matters actually achieves, due to the excitement of the power of thumbs up or down............

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 26th, 2024, 3:00 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: January 26th, 2024, 2:33 pm

When people have a vote they are far more interested in hanging the existing incumbent, than they are in changing the future. It's all about power, I have the power and I am going to show those bustards.....

We get what we deserve unfortunately, and people above ignoring what a vote upon openness of trust matters actually achieves, due to the excitement of the power of thumbs up or down............
You're a fruit-loop mate.