Re: Our bizarre world

Baladabadi wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:49 am I don't get it, what's so bizarre?
I think its meant as their Countries are at war yet games of football are still happening
Syria, , Palestine and Iran are involved in conflicts either directly or indirectly at present yet the games are taking place.
Ukraine can be added to the list as they are playing again whilst there is a war on in their country...albeit playing at a neutral venue in Poland

neilcork68 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 11:26 am
Baladabadi wrote: January 24th, 2024, 9:49 am I don't get it, what's so bizarre?
I think its meant as their Countries are at war yet games of football are still happening
Syria, , Palestine and Iran are involved in conflicts either directly or indirectly at present yet the games are taking place.
Ukraine can be added to the list as they are playing again whilst there is a war on in their country...albeit playing at a neutral venue in Poland
I think you'll find that the RAF are presently involved in bombing Yemen. In fact in my lifetime the British military have been involved in action in Aden, Cyprus, Bosnia, Ireland, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, the Falklands/Las Malvinas, not to mention making bases available for the Americans to bomb Libya.

Being involved in conflict hasn't stopped England and indeed the subservient provinces of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland playing international foorball.

That should wind a few of you up. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 24th, 2024, 11:42 am
I think you'll find that the RAF are presently involved in bombing Yemen. In fact in my lifetime the British military have been involved in action in Aden, Cyprus, Bosnia, Ireland, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq, the Falklands/Las Malvinas, not to mention making bases available for the Americans to bomb Libya.

Being involved in conflict hasn't stopped England and indeed the subservient provinces of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland playing international foorball.

Afternoon Brendan. You forgot Palestine, Suez, Korea, mainland Europe and the Boer War in South Africa😉. Whilst some of this was going on Ireland remained neutral in World War 2. After Hitler died and before WW2 ended, President DeValera signed a book of condolences at the German Embassy in Dublin. Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones etc, etc…..

pembsexile wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:30 pm

Afternoon Brendan. You forgot Palestine, Suez, Korea, mainland Europe and the Boer War in South Africa😉. Whilst some of this was going on Ireland remained neutral in World War 2. After Hitler died and before WW2 ended, President DeValera signed a book of condolences at the German Embassy in Dublin. Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones etc, etc…..
Agreed, no country or group has a monopoly on suffering nor righteousness of their cause, in the dark times in NI for every thuggish Para (and some were indeed thuggish) there were 10 'noble' IRA men and women who intimidated, extorted, beat, tortured, kneecapped and killed (not to mention bombed) people often on their 'own side'.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 25th, 2024, 10:40 am
pembsexile wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:30 pm

Agreed, no country or group has a monopoly on suffering nor righteousness of their cause, in the dark times in NI for every thuggish Para (and some were indeed thuggish) there were 10 'noble' IRA men and women who intimidated, extorted, beat, tortured, kneecapped and killed (not to mention bombed) people often on their 'own side'.
Terrorism, which even effected Newport with its large population of Irish immigrants, with the bombing of Gor Ray.