Re: The default position remains the same. Newport County lie.

Ticket sales for the Wales v Finland Euro qualifier playoff match(es) started yesterday. The process for season ticket holders wanting to buy for themselves and one or more other season ticket holders is slightly different to the process for buying multiple tickets for away games and allocating them to the relevant users' accounts. Instructions on how to prepare were emailed out on Friday (I managed to do this online while in the County phone queue). Sales are online only. It was simple and worked fine.

Amberexile wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 4:00 pm Ticket sales for the Wales v Finland Euro qualifier playoff match(es) started yesterday. The process for season ticket holders wanting to buy for themselves and one or more other season ticket holders is slightly different to the process for buying multiple tickets for away games and allocating them to the relevant users' accounts. Instructions on how to prepare were emailed out on Friday (I managed to do this online while in the County phone queue). Sales are online only. It was simple and worked fine.
They did have the added bonus of plenty of preparation time in fairness.

The only thing about the whole process that irked me was shutting the doors on season ticket holders and trust members. I had no issue with queuing for hours on end, I do have an issue with being treated like shit, and then expecting to not be treated like shit in return.

Obviously others had different issues to overcome if they lived away from Newport.

If the club want a volunteer to load trust members onto T/M, my offer still stands. Who knows, the system might be needed again this time next week.

whoareya wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 12:29 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 12:03 pm Once again the gruesome twosome, defending the indefensible.

If a'appalling' abuse had taken place on Thursday and had staff been genuinely threatened then the ticket office should have been closed on Friday. No ifs, no buts.
The whole town is buzzing, the focus is on the game, even the Facebook group has calmed down and looking forward to the next big day in our FA Cup history.

But this Einstein character keeps digging the club out, even Kevin Ward gets a mention this time.

The mood has moved on, so I'll say again - learn to read the room.
Largely agree and time to be positive BUT club has inadvertently besmirched the fans and city of Newport by spinning it the way it has done, I went to a work meeting today with people from all over the country a few whom follow football said “heard there was a bit of bother with the ticket office with your lot” (they know I’m a County fan) as they had seen stuff in the press about the alleged “abuse” of ticket office staff.

SO club has put out an over the top press statement on why sales are now online only, they could have spun it any which way (“unexpected issues with in person ticket sales” perhaps?) but chose to go nuclear so they have shaped a negative narrative not stan (a person I often disagree with so am no cheerleader for him).

G Guest wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 11:44 am But the club used extreme language. They didn't just say offensive behaviour, they were appalled. Like there had been murder done. In all my years as a County supporter I had not read the like of it before. The real reason for closing on Monday was that they had been taken by surprise by the number of tickets sold on Thursday and Friday. The promise that there would be a lot of tickets left was not the case.The club is not to blame for that , but instead of admitting it they vilified their own supporters by blaming appalling behaviour 2 days after the alleged event.

Perhaps I'm being over_sensitive but it has left a sour taste in my mouth.
This is exactly how I feel. How about some balance from the club admitting that although the “alleged” behaviour was unacceptable, the club’s actions may have contributed to the situation e.g. mismanaging the queueing by letting people queue hours in freezing conditions when it was clear that unless you started queueing before 2pm you had no chance of getting to the ticket office by 7pm. How about an apology for letting people queue for 5 hours in freezing cold to have shutters pulled down on them without a word of apology. How about an apology to the elderly who were clearly in distress in the cold and the youngsters who were crying when the shutters came down. I was a few yards from the front of the queue (about an hour’s queueing based on the speed the queue was moving!) and other than a number of expletives shouted at the ticket office, I did not witness any abuse aimed at staff or hear any calls to smash up the ticket office etc. If this happened however, I do not condone this at all. My view is that given the circumstances, the crowd was remarkably restrained and wandered off into the freezing cold darkness muttering about the whole farcical situation.
No sour grapes, I have my tickets. However, like you, I don’t think I over-sensitive in having a sour in my mouth with the club’s deflecting statement.

Fu Ming wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 6:16 pm To reduce the queuing further the club could of done the first 2 days season ticket holders only, followed by the the next 2 days Trust members only.
Also knowing how slowly they sell the tickets at about 100 per hour.
It’s not hard to work out when a 7pm cut off would occur.
Ie if 400 in the queue at 3pm then shut the gates to any arrivals and post such info on social media.
They did do that, upon the advice on someone in the queue it should be said. That's what put people's minds at ease. They've drawn a line in the sand I thought to myself, seemed sensible.

But then they stopped serving people already queuing.

Anyway, sounding like a broken record now. I won't forget it in a hurry, shit way to be treated by a company which receives a lot of money from my family.

whoareya wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 12:29 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 12:03 pm Once again the gruesome twosome, defending the indefensible.

If a'appalling' abuse had taken place on Thursday and had staff been genuinely threatened then the ticket office should have been closed on Friday. No ifs, no buts.
The whole town is buzzing, the focus is on the game, even the Facebook group has calmed down and looking forward to the next big day in our FA Cup history.

But this Einstein character keeps digging the club out, even Kevin Ward gets a mention this time.

The mood has moved on, so I'll say again - learn to read the room.
The Kevin Ward obsession is one of the most humorous aspects of Stan’s agenda. By all accounts, the guy had almost zero influence on the running of the club but was a genuine, non paid volunteer who worked hard for the club. Yet according to The Stangenda, he is/was some kind of Jerry Sherman/Glazier type charlatan.

It never gets old and it never fails to amuse.

Bangitintrnet wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 1:58 pm
The online system to purchase tickets can handle 10's of thousands at one time. The fact that thousands thousands hadn't signed up to it as detailed in the step by step instructions titled 'MU tickets how to purchase', and then complained that they couldn't get tickets, is a problem for them.
The argus had an article detailing that it took three quarters of an hour to sell out, with 12000 on the site.

Once your ticket is in the basket you have a maximum of 5 minutes to purchase including verification with your bank. It can be tight, even if you are doing it in a normal non pressing situation like I did for my Eastleigh tickets and others.

You do the maths, how many sales could have been made to 12000 people every 5 minutes? The fact that it wasn't sold out in 5 minutes, had precisely nothing to do with the amount of tickets left, however convinced you are.

Incidently, how many of the queue on Thursday stayed queing unrealistically, in the belief that the club would be lying about the sales closing at 7pm? Were the ridiculous accusations made when Kevin Ward showed how to queue easily, a factor used to justify staying unrealistically?
As someone who was on the site seconds after it went live in General Sale (the Man U ticket part of the site clearly opened about 09:52 when my position in the queue quickly dropped from around position 1000 to being in the site within seconds), and there about 100 "active" seats showing as recently available but not actually available at that moment (ie set up on the system for someone to purchase that day, but already in the process of being sold - in light blue, rather than "not available" grey). I saw *one* in dark blue showing as still available right at the start, none for the 15 minutes after that when I hung around to see if anything was released after the 5 minute basket payment timeouts.

While they might in theory have been able to sell 12000 simultaneously - there weren't 12000 to sell, nor should there have been. And FWIW I had a FB chat with the guy who wrote the Argus article, his "sold out" time was when County announced it, not when the tickets stopped being available, which was nearly half an hour earlier judging by the different responses from the site at different times. He did a bit of "research" by logging in himself, but it wasn't really reflected in the article.

What seems to have been missed though is that having as few tickets go to General Sale as possible is the best way to prevent touts getting them anyway. The allocations to ST and Trust Members were clearly designed to allow people regarded as trustworthy to allocate them to others as they saw fit (otherwise no-one, no matter how much they were putting into the club, would have been allowed more than one for themselves). Some will have abused that, but they're traceable to the purchaser as an ST holder/Trust Member, which isn't the case with mass-scale touting operations buying up General Sale tickets.

The site and queue was also most likely swarming with bots by 1015, when there were supposedly 13800+ "people" in the queue (source: wife took a screenshot at 10:12), despite anyone who'd made it onto the site not being able to navigate to the seating plan to buy any tickets by then (this was the case by 1013).

The process wasn't without its flaws. There probably should have been a Trust Members only window which didn't require queuing in person. As the club don't own the data on Trust Membership I would imagine they couldn't use that to set up an online solution due to GDPR even if they wanted to - so a day of just fielding Trust Member (in theory) phone calls might have been useful. Still issues there with verification of membership on the phone, as, again, GDPR could be an issue, given that its very nature means (pretty much) that you can't share data that identifies someone without explicit consent.

Season Ticket holders who decided to stand in a queue for hours though when a few clicks on a phone or PC when there were no queues at all would have done the same job... not enough facepalms.

SJG99 wrote: January 24th, 2024, 3:40 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 1:58 pm
The online system to purchase tickets can handle 10's of thousands at one time. The fact that thousands thousands hadn't signed up to it as detailed in the step by step instructions titled 'MU tickets how to purchase', and then complained that they couldn't get tickets, is a problem for them.
The argus had an article detailing that it took three quarters of an hour to sell out, with 12000 on the site.

Once your ticket is in the basket you have a maximum of 5 minutes to purchase including verification with your bank. It can be tight, even if you are doing it in a normal non pressing situation like I did for my Eastleigh tickets and others.

You do the maths, how many sales could have been made to 12000 people every 5 minutes? The fact that it wasn't sold out in 5 minutes, had precisely nothing to do with the amount of tickets left, however convinced you are.

Incidently, how many of the queue on Thursday stayed queing unrealistically, in the belief that the club would be lying about the sales closing at 7pm? Were the ridiculous accusations made when Kevin Ward showed how to queue easily, a factor used to justify staying unrealistically?
As someone who was on the site seconds after it went live in General Sale (the Man U ticket part of the site clearly opened about 09:52 when my position in the queue quickly dropped from around position 1000 to being in the site within seconds), and there about 100 "active" seats showing as recently available but not actually available at that moment (ie set up on the system for someone to purchase that day, but already in the process of being sold - in light blue, rather than "not available" grey). I saw *one* in dark blue showing as still available right at the start, none for the 15 minutes after that when I hung around to see if anything was released after the 5 minute basket payment timeouts.

While they might in theory have been able to sell 12000 simultaneously - there weren't 12000 to sell, nor should there have been. And FWIW I had a FB chat with the guy who wrote the Argus article, his "sold out" time was when County announced it, not when the tickets stopped being available, which was nearly half an hour earlier judging by the different responses from the site at different times. He did a bit of "research" by logging in himself, but it wasn't really reflected in the article.

What seems to have been missed though is that having as few tickets go to General Sale as possible is the best way to prevent touts getting them anyway. The allocations to ST and Trust Members were clearly designed to allow people regarded as trustworthy to allocate them to others as they saw fit (otherwise no-one, no matter how much they were putting into the club, would have been allowed more than one for themselves). Some will have abused that, but they're traceable to the purchaser as an ST holder/Trust Member, which isn't the case with mass-scale touting operations buying up General Sale tickets.

The site and queue was also most likely swarming with bots by 1015, when there were supposedly 13800+ "people" in the queue (source: wife took a screenshot at 10:12), despite anyone who'd made it onto the site not being able to navigate to the seating plan to buy any tickets by then (this was the case by 1013).

The process wasn't without its flaws. There probably should have been a Trust Members only window which didn't require queuing in person. As the club don't own the data on Trust Membership I would imagine they couldn't use that to set up an online solution due to GDPR even if they wanted to - so a day of just fielding Trust Member (in theory) phone calls might have been useful. Still issues there with verification of membership on the phone, as, again, GDPR could be an issue, given that its very nature means (pretty much) that you can't share data that identifies someone without explicit consent.

Season Ticket holders who decided to stand in a queue for hours though when a few clicks on a phone or PC when there were no queues at all would have done the same job... not enough facepalms.
Interesting, thank you for the detailed posting.

Are we honestly now suggesting there's a data protection issue between the club and the club trust? Hahaha!!!

I'm sure the relevant authority could be obtained guys. I imagine the same person could authorise it on both sides in fact.

An email from the trust to the club would do it.

Whatever is needed just do it. Stop making excuses and let's join the modern world. If you need any help, ask for it.

Even post-takeover, I sincerely hope that HJ and his team looks to document what skills are available within our fan base, and take advantage of them at heavily subsidised/free rates as and when needed, an essential part of running a lower league club.

rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 am Are we honestly now suggesting there's a data protection issue between the club and the club trust? Hahaha!!!

I'm sure the relevant authority could be obtained guys. I imagine the same person could authorise it on both sides in fact.

Whatever is needed just do it. Stop making excuses and let's join the modern world. If you need any help, ask for it.

Even post-takeover, I sincerely hope that HJ and his team looks to document what skills are available within our fan base, and take advantage of them at heavily subsidised/free rates as and when needed, an essential part of running a lower league club.
Hopefully Huw Jenkins will make ticketing and everything else far more efficient at Newport County. And as I have said even though Huw Jenkins will be doing it to make money, that interest of his is best achieved by making Newport County successful.

One strange irony arising from this. The best draw financially for a club such as Newport County is Manchester United away. Whilst we are all dreaming of County beating Manchester United on Sunday, Huw Jenkins is dreaming that the game ends in a draw.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 24th, 2024, 8:25 am
rncfc wrote: January 24th, 2024, 7:44 am Are we honestly now suggesting there's a data protection issue between the club and the club trust? Hahaha!!!

Hopefully Huw Jenkins will make ticketing and everything else far more efficient at Newport County. And as I have said even though Huw Jenkins will be doing it to make money, that interest of his is best achieved by making Newport County successful.

One strange irony arising from this. The best draw financially for a club such as Newport County is Manchester United away. Whilst we are all dreaming of County beating Manchester United on Sunday, Huw Jenkins is dreaming that the game ends in a draw.
I did think that, but when it comes to the 5th round, whoever you get would be lucrative. Even Bristol City away would be a goodun.

I can only speak from experience. I had some lads from Llanelli in the bar in Benidorm where I work. They had all heard of the ‘appalling abuse’ as cited by the club. I pointed out 95% of it was frustration at queuing for hours on end in the cold with obviously the odd dickhead going too far. With the ticket office being manned by volunteers & the numbers queuing it didn’t go as smoothly as it should have (understatement of the year!). The club has definitely washed its hands of any responsibility with the ‘appalling abuse’ line imo. Incidentally, as a trust member, I was unable to get my ticket by phone. Luckily a friend of mine in Newport has a spare, so I’m coming back to RP (& Newport) for the first time since April 2016.

Season tickets are by there very nature for a fixed period paid up front.
Trust membership varies, as members can simply chose to stop paying and end membership at any point, as well as others starting at any point.

So any data held on season tickets is comparatively easier to update on a separate system, and only periodically maintain.

All of which doesn't stop it being done, as long as trust members can have a grown up debate about the issues/costs it presents, set against is it wise to provide incentives for people NOT to attend more frequently.

I noticed that the percentage saving for a senior to adult ticket was much reduced. It is a game that was always going to sell out, and could be sold out if it was adults only. That wouldn't be sensible, but gaining the maximum out of our luck is.