Re: Newport County v. Manchester United Grandstand. Sunday 28th January..2024

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:39 pm Seriously, we gave it a bloody good go. County fans are a bloody sight happier tonight than United fans are.

Last couple of weeks we have had an indication of what our town and our club can achieve. Hopefully this is the start not the end.
Don’t entirely agree mate, we showed them far too much respect early on so we left ourselves a mountain to climb. I’d have had that boy on the left writhing in the first couple of rows of the Compeed crying for his mother just to let him know he was in the Port,
I do agree, however, that it shows we should aspire to bigger and better things!

neilcork68 wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:41 pm
countymadbel wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:27 pm Why was there 9500 for wrexham why only 9k for united?

500 complimentary tickets given to sponsors, players families and the Irish branch of County fans Coughlan brought over last night😁

By the way , did anyone pay £150 for the tickets The Pod got ? Or were they unused.
Hope they caught a cold on that one 😉

Exile 1976 wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:39 pm
Amberexile wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:28 pm
rncfc wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:09 pm Yeah, we paid them too much respect first 15 minutes, but that's completely understandable. Thought we were brilliant, Graham Coughlan and his staff completely deserve a stab at making us competitive with a decent budget.

Thanks boys for a memorable day. You did our city proud.
Sorry but I for one don't find it understandable. I expected us to be in their face and testing the referee's tolerance level from the kick off. We earned our right to be in that pitch as equals.

We got there by beating non league teams, two of which after replays. To think we were going to take it to a very strong United line up from the off is fanciful. Also, should we have ‘tested the referee’s tolerance level from the kick off’ we could have had a player (s) on yellow cards early and unable to make further mistakes in the tackle.
Good performance from a mid table league two side that were still in with a chance of getting something out of the game until the 94th minute.
Really enjoyed today
I meant his tolerance between what is and isn't a free kick. We committed only 7 fouls in 90 minutes.

lowandhard wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:21 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 28th, 2024, 8:39 pm Seriously, we gave it a bloody good go. County fans are a bloody sight happier tonight than United fans are.

Last couple of weeks we have had an indication of what our town and our club can achieve. Hopefully this is the start not the end.
Don’t entirely agree mate, we showed them far too much respect early on so we left ourselves a mountain to climb. I’d have had that boy on the left writhing in the first couple of rows of the Compeed crying for his mother just to let him know he was in the Port,
I do agree, however, that it shows we should aspire to bigger and better things!
Evening Mike,

My view is at varience with yours there. I thought Coughlan's game plan was to press high with the two wing backs. Unfortunately Manchester United simply played through us with pace and their finishing in the first 15 minutes was clinical. I get the point about a few robust tackles but I think early yellows or God forbid an early red would have sunk us.

We got a wonder goal which kept us in it and changing to a back four and the early second half goal shook United. For fifteen minutes or so we had them on the rack. Still it's all about opinions.

Sorry to hear about your experience in the stand. I'm afraid that this +1 with ticket sales really was a bad idea. I hope it never gets repeated.

Still lets hope for at least 6,000 v Swindon.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 28th, 2024, 10:38 pm
lowandhard wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:21 pm

Evening Mike,

My view is at varience with yours there. I thought Coughlan's game plan was to press high with the two wing backs. Unfortunately Manchester United simply played through us with pace and their finishing in the first 15 minutes was clinical. I get the point about a few robust tackles but I think early yellows or God forbid an early red would have sunk us.

We got a wonder goal which kept us in it and changing to a back four and the early second half goal shook United. For fifteen minutes or so we had them on the rack. Still it's all about opinions.

Sorry to hear about your experience in the stand. I'm afraid that this +1 with ticket sales really was a bad idea. I hope it never gets repeated.

Still lets hope for at least 6,000 v Swindon.
The ticketing arrangements for season ticket holders for yesterday's match were exactly the same as for previous big cup games like Leicester, Tottenham and Man City. No problems for those matches and no major problems yesterday apart from one or two local Man Utd fans who couldn't contain themselves. As a family who buy four season tickets every year and have done since 2012 then I very much hope the 'loyalty bonus' we get for the rare big cup tie is retained.

countymadbel wrote: January 28th, 2024, 9:27 pm Why was there 9500 for wrexham why only 9k for united?
FA Cup rules say there has to be an away allocation of 15% of the stadium capacity. Even with the temporary stand, the away capacity yesterday was just over 1,400 so the total capacity is reduced to just over 9,000.
Obviously that rule doesn't apply to the league, hence the additional home seats.

Having said that, there didn't seem to be any empty spaces yesterday so the declared attendance might be the one that keeps to the rules but might not be the real one!

Jonesy3 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 9:45 am
FA Cup rules say there has to be an away allocation of 15% of the stadium capacity. Even with the temporary stand, the away capacity yesterday was just over 1,400 so the total capacity is reduced to just over 9,000.
Obviously that rule doesn't apply to the league, hence the additional home seats.

Having said that, there didn't seem to be any empty spaces yesterday so the declared attendance might be the one that keeps to the rules but might not be the real one!
I'II TRY ONE MORE TIME TO EXPLAIN THE LOWER ATTENDANCE. I'VE ALREADY TRIED TWICE BUT PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN. THE CLUB SAID IN ADVANCE IN A NEWS ITEM THAT THE ATTENDANCE WOULD BE LOWER THAN FOR WREXHAM. THE REASON GIVEN WAS TO ACCOMMODATE THE TV CAMERAS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.