Re: English and Welsh Cricket is racist.

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 27th, 2023, 3:43 pm In crickets defence I'm pretty sure if every sport carries out a review these days they'd be found to be racist
Indeed nowadays everyone & everything is “racist” and if they say they’re not then they definitely are?! I blame the critical race theory industry hilariously thought up by a middle class white academic! (Now a multi millionaire from selling her snake oil to corporates & charities).

Trouble is all the BS & hyperbole around this masks the minority and rare but still serious racism that exists.

Interesting too that the “race” bit was jumped all over while the class issues have been lightly skimmed over.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 27th, 2023, 12:53 pm Not sure how I feel about that. Disclaimer alert, racism and all the other isms are bad, obvs. But it feels like there's a big industry around labelling everything as racist these days. The timing of it seems odd too, designed to cause maximum fuss in the middle of the biggest series of matches in the calendar.
It’s willy waving virtue signalling of the highest order “we’re so virtuous we didn’t even wait until after the ashes to admit to and repent on how awful we are” I haven’t seen the methodology but willing to bet it’s self reporting i.e., if you ask people if they feel they have been hard done by because of xyz you’re not getting the positive responses are you?!

[edit] of course racism exists - I always feel and indeed sometimes say that racism exists in sports but sports are not in themselves 'racist'*, the UK is by any measure the least racist of many other countries and sports in the main are welcoming to and [many sports] have a disproportionate representation of ethnic minorities (no judgement on that either way just a fact) and it does feel like we've got the sniffer dogs out to 'root out' the ghouls of racism which is divisive - class divides are far more of an issue here.
Last edited by CathedralCounty on June 28th, 2023, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agreed. I've recently been down the rabbit hole on this and been reading up on CRT (Critical Race Theory) and you're right, a lot of it comes from Robin DiAngelo/BLM/Ibram X Kendi etc in the States but before that it has it's roots in the Frankfurt School https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School which is good old Marxism. That's why most, if not all of our institutions are infected with this guff.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 27th, 2023, 10:12 pm Agreed. I've recently been down the rabbit hole on this and been reading up on CRT (Critical Race Theory) and you're right, a lot of it comes from Robin DiAngelo/BLM/Ibram X Kendi etc in the States but before that it has it's roots in the Frankfurt School https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School which is good old Marxism. That's why most, if not all of our institutions are infected with this guff.
It's what they call a 'grift' in the US - these people are, with however good intentions or foundations, selling snake oil.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:31 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: June 28th, 2023, 9:41 am Let's not forget racism is rife in all walks of life

My black and Asian colleagues get it on a daily basis in work I've heard the stuff like your hands are dirty go and wash them.

We shouldn't be hearing stuff like that 😕
No way. It exists but it's not rife in the UK in 2023. That's a massive overstatement.
You're obviously walking around with blinkers on

As a white male I've learnt throughout my life working in heavy industry in all male surroundings things said that I'm ashamed I didn't do more to stop

Look at the WhatsApps you get day to day I've blocked no end of people because of joke's videos etc

It's only banter munn

No excuses

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 28th, 2023, 12:00 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: June 28th, 2023, 9:41 am Let's not forget racism is rife in all walks of life

My black and Asian colleagues get it on a daily basis in work I've heard the stuff like your hands are dirty go and wash them.

No way. It exists but it's not rife in the UK in 2023. That's a massive overstatement.

As a white male I've learnt throughout my life working in heavy industry in all male surroundings things said that I'm ashamed I didn't do more to stop

Look at the WhatsApps you get day to day I've blocked no end of people because of joke's videos etc

It's only banter munn

No excuses
Not saying it doesn't exist but I just don't agree it's rife. Look at the UK and Ireland for example, Rishi/Sadiq Khan/Humza Yousaf. Leo Varadkar in IE. Vaughan Gething will get the gig after MD retires. White British a minority in London and B'ham. No spin, facts.

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 28th, 2023, 12:00 pm

It's only banter munn

No excuses
No blinkers and in my case while I do flick through a Daily Mail occasionally I don't buy it or read it regularly, each persons experience is different as is their definition or perception of what is and what isn't 'racism' (key words here 'intent' = is this person saying or doing x with racist intent? and 'ambiguity' = is this unambiguously racist or could it just be what it is? i.e, a silly and yes sometimes misguided joke* or indeed curiosity?, etc) - but overall attitudes to race in Britain are far more advanced and progressive than in many/most other white majority countries.

*mostly/often it IS 'only banter munn' and it might be even more exclusionary to NOT take the piazza out of someone if they were ethnic minority