WAG again

Reports going around that the Welsh Assembly intend to close Coney Beach Porthcawl after purchasing the land for Regeneration.

Are they intending to suck all the fun out of life for families by shutting down an amusement park that has been around for decades and given pleasure to hundreds of thousands of people since early 1900's ?

They intend to use the land for housing and retail....

Given the location so close to the sea I bet not many of the houses will be for 'Social Housing' as they will sell for premium prices in the private market.
Porthcawls high street isn't nearly as good as it used to be and their are shops closing down yet they are building more retail spaces ???

It's ok coming up with these ideas about trying to ease the housing shortage but they never improve the infrastructure. Roads , schools and Doctors surgeries , etc that are already overcrowded will only get worse...
The caravan park will probably also suffer as their will be no amusement park and the beach access will be a building site for years. Would you want to holiday there ?

Bit suspicious that Aldis were given permission to build a big shop right next to the land that has been compulsory purchased ???

Re: WAG again

neilcork68 wrote: June 20th, 2023, 10:20 pm Reports going around that the Welsh Assembly intend to close Coney Beach Porthcawl after purchasing the land for Regeneration.

Are they intending to suck all the fun out of life for families by shutting down an amusement park that has been around for decades and given pleasure to hundreds of thousands of people since early 1900's ?

Given the location so close to the sea I bet not many of the houses will be for 'Social Housing' as they will sell for premium prices in the private market.
Porthcawls high street isn't nearly as good as it used to be and their are shops closing down yet they are building more retail spaces ???

It's ok coming up with these ideas about trying to ease the housing shortage but they never improve the infrastructure. Roads , schools and Doctors surgeries , etc that are already overcrowded will only get worse...
The caravan park will probably also suffer as their will be no amusement park and the beach access will be a building site for years. Would you want to holiday there ?

Bit suspicious that Aldis were given permission to build a big shop right next to the land that has been compulsory purchased ???
I'm no fan of the WAG however that side of Porthcawl is a bit of a dump - the town itself is OK and nearby areas have quite a few 'posh' houses and a decent golf course so could be a really nice town it just needs that boost - as for housing it’s a wider issue BUT building a lot of houses 1) near the sea when we have issues with erosion and flooding 2) in a town with no railway station and only 1 main road in/out is a bit silly and as you say no good building new houses if they are simply too expensive and/or will be bought as second homes or rented out (see middling new builds in Newport, which has far better transport links albeit no sea views, going for £250,000++) - IF a lot of social housing was built I fear it could become a ghetto (I'm NOT demeaning social housing tenants just that many coastal towns have gone downhill as more and more people with 'chaotic lifestyles' have been housed in them) - a lot to unpick and I would to want to be making those decisions although houses need to be built in the right way and in the right places.

CathedralCounty wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:16 pm
neilcork68 wrote: June 20th, 2023, 10:20 pm Reports going around that the Welsh Assembly intend to close Coney Beach Porthcawl after purchasing the land for Regeneration.

I'm no fan of the WAG however that side of Porthcawl is a bit of a dump - the town itself is OK and nearby areas have quite a few 'posh' houses and a decent golf course so could be a really nice town it just needs that boost - as for housing it’s a wider issue BUT building a lot of houses 1) near the sea when we have issues with erosion and flooding 2) in a town with no railway station and only 1 main road in/out is a bit silly and as you say no good building new houses if they are simply too expensive and/or will be bought as second homes or rented out (see middling new builds in Newport, which has far better transport links albeit no sea views, going for £250,000++) - IF a lot of social housing was built I fear it could become a ghetto (I'm NOT demeaning social housing tenants just that many coastal towns have gone downhill as more and more people with 'chaotic lifestyles' have been housed in them) - a lot to unpick and I would to want to be making those decisions although houses need to be built in the right way and in the right places.
Coney beach caravan park has reduced in size and is now mainly closer to Newton Beach. All the caravans are a few years old and not the run down area that it was.
The miners rest home building has now been redeveloped into high end retirement flats at Rest Bay. The road along the front leading to it has numerous lottery winners living in revamped properties.

So Porthcawl has changed and will continue to change with the Bridgend Council redevelopment plans. Same as Cardiff Bay, Newport riverfront, and Barry and Swansea dockland redevelopment, waterfront properties are increasingly popular. Funfairs/theme parks are better inland these days IMO.

UPTHEPORT wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:48 pm Neil has a real problem he's obsessed with MD
No just him and his cronies idiotic policies.
Let's buy an airport.........
Let's buy a farm...
We can't help needy people out because we have no money....oh sh....we have just found out we had £150 million we didn't know we had and had to send back
Housing crisis even though they bought many houses for the M4 relief Motorway that have been empty for 5 years at least. The same happened on the A465.
Paying double the costs for the A465...has there been an enquiry as to why ?
£100million + spent on consultations, enquiries for a road that he was never going let it be built (M4).....How much has the congestion on the M4 cost Welsh business because it's almost every other day there is congestion..

I live in an area where the public transport is almost non existent....a bus every two hours , stop at 7 pm etc....nearest railway line is 5 miles away and doesn't stop anywhere near where I work...I have to use a car or van

I am a professional driver who indirectly works for the NHS..without using a vehicle we couldn't do our job and many would suffer. The WAG / British Government seem to want to punish people who have no other options with congestion charges , roads that are not up to standard or etc..drivers are the easy option because we are cash cows and seem to get the blame.... Aeroplanes are far worse polluters than cars but nothing is done about them.

Public transport works in city centres but outside it's a joke..We have no option other than use our cars

Blackandamber wrote: June 21st, 2023, 8:01 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: June 21st, 2023, 12:48 pm Neil has a real problem he's obsessed with MD
So am I. One of the best CBs we've had :lol:

Damm I wish I would have thought of that one ..lol

As for the one that Jim is saying...... I can see through all the BS that Dripford spouts and wouldn't vote for him if he was the only runner in the race. The guy doesnt give a second thought to anything that comes outside of the 'little Wales attitude'
As with almost every Politician he is only in it for what he can get for himself.

As for the real MD.....Im with you on that.....add to the OFF THE FIELD activities he does and he is one player I hope stays
Him and Lewis.....PF, I think we can replace him but the other two NO.

neilcork68 wrote: June 21st, 2023, 8:44 pm
Blackandamber wrote: June 21st, 2023, 8:01 pm
So am I. One of the best CBs we've had :lol:

Damm I wish I would have thought of that one ..lol

As for the one that Jim is saying...... I can see through all the BS that Dripford spouts and wouldn't vote for him if he was the only runner in the race. The guy doesnt give a second thought to anything that comes outside of the 'little Wales attitude'
As with almost every Politician he is only in it for what he can get for himself.

As for the real MD.....Im with you on that.....add to the OFF THE FIELD activities he does and he is one player I hope stays
Him and Lewis.....PF, I think we can replace him but the other two NO.
Do tell us what he has got out of politics personally, in comparison to say Boris!!!!!

Can't feed children through the summer months because they have no money but can spend millions on new signage for the 20mph being introduced.

That's not me saying that, it's the spokesperson for the Welsh NSPCC on the radio Friday

Don't give me all this , It's Westminster's fault because the WAG get more money now than they have ever had...

What's more important than feeding hungry children ?

No they will all be dead by Starvation.

It's not speed that kills , it's inappropriate speed ....

20 past schools , parks really built up areas is too fast but slowing some major thoroughfares to 20 is silly ,IMO
currently almost everyday the M4 has a 40 limit through Newport...That's adding to pollution because cars give out higher pollution at lower speeds...

How much money has been spent on enquiries about the M4 relief road or the WAG plans to eliviate congestion?

I know things don't happen overnight but it's been decades in the planning, hundreds of millions spent and has anything changed for the better so your forced into your car...Drakeford loves this fact because he is so anti car and sees them as a cash cow.

How did we manage before cars

We've recently gone from two cars to one because I'm walking to work I work 12 hours so the thought of driving 3 miles to work leaving it all day in a car park what a waste

I've got car ,light goods licence driven for nearly 40 years it bothers me how many times I've driven in that time when it wasn't necessary

Plan ahead 90% of the time you don't need to drive

We have plans to go to no car at all it can be done

I live in the countryside, 2 hours bus service, none before 9am or after 7pm . Nearest train station 4 miles away .Can't ride a bike because of arthritis in my ankles

How do I get to work without a car ?

Public transport will never work in a country like Wales, it's too rural...Cardiff , Newport , Swansea , Wrexham yes but outside never we haven't got or will never afford the infrastructure.