Does anyone?

When I was a child I could hardly sleep before the FA Cup Final. Even as a young man it was an event not to be missed.

As we get older I suppose we all lose a bit enthusiasm but is anyone genuinely excited about tomorrow's FA Cup Final? Or has live football seven days a week from July to June made everyone as bored with TV games as I am?

Re: Does anyone?

I really couldn’t give a monkeys about it. Probably won’t watch it as we have a family bar- b- q. Would not have said that 30 years ago. Times change and there is so much footy on the box. No novelty anymore. Apart from that, two teams I have no interest in either. Wish it was possible that they could both lose.😉

Stan A. Einstein wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:52 pm When I was a child I could hardly sleep before the FA Cup Final. Even as a young man it was an event not to be missed.

As we get older I suppose we all lose a bit enthusiasm but is anyone genuinely excited about tomorrow's FA Cup Final? Or has live football seven days a week from July to June made everyone as bored with TV games as I am?
I totally agree the cup final used to the biggest day of the football season which I used to enjoy as a kid,on the day the tv was was built around and with only 3 to channels every programme from morning till the game finished was built around it.

Now the actual final seems like a pre season friendly.

From a personal point of view, and as an old fogey, I’d agree with the comments so far.

But…

My grandson is 11 & supports Man Utd. He’s talked about nothing but the cup final all week & he has a load of school mates at his house today to watch the game.

It’s easy to look at the past with rose-tinted spectacles.

Yes agree a bit of a non event for me these days.
I won't be watching it either, although I will look at the score lines out of interest.
Like you said it used to be a bit of a novelty when we was kids, the road to Wembley, the bus journey in from the hotels etc.
Perhaps it is a combination of getting older and football live on TV 7 days a week has deflated it.

Started listening to the radio commentaries in the mid 50s as the commentator Raymond Glendenning had a Newport connection (joke).
With no substitutes, they were a lottery, often decided by broken limbs.
I was fortunate to attend the best one ever, Coventry 3 Spurs 2 (AET) in 1987. I secured a ticket as thanks for my services standing in for the Manchester United Supporters Darts team when they were short. I don't know what happens to club allocations these days.
Now, I almost confine my telly games viewing to womens' football, as it's the only opportunity I have to see Chelsea win.

When my son had his first birthday - due to some appalling planning - it clashed with the FA Cup Final, and I guess I've not bothered with it since.

Actually when I lived in the US where there was a dearth of live footy I'd watch it, but it was on at breakfast time and never felt the same.

excessbee wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 7:01 pm I'll probably get shot at dawn for this...... Why did the BBC news refer to it as the men's FA Cup Final? It's just the FA Cup Final. Likewise, Barcelona did not win the Champions League Final today.
I wouldn't have you shot, but if you're going to get upset by that you perhaps should consider getting out more. :grin: