Re: Shareholders and Owners meeting

excessbee wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:39 pm
pembsexile wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 8:05 pm I initially thought this meeting was immediately before the AGM. It seems though that they haven’t set the date for the AGM yet.
That makes sense really, as those who purchased Community shares would have to leave the meeting when the AGM was about to start. It's a much more clear demarcation between Trust members (and historical shareholders) and those whose sole financial commitment may be just £50 (important as that was at that critical time).
Community Share contributors can have their say at this meeting ,but not a vote on motions at the AGM. At least that's my interpretation of the separation of the two meetings.
On the contrary. Those who bought community shares own the Trust. The only people who can be legally forced to leave the AGM are the Trust members who don't own community shares. I hope they won't be.

But an AGM is an annual general meeting of shareholders, not of members. You can be a member of a private gym, it doesn't make you a shareholder/owner.

Incidentally, Newport AFC as they are still constituted are still the controlling body. The Trust are the major but not only shareholder.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:10 pm It has just been confirmed by the originator that GC’s interview was recorded as recently as last Friday.
Those who listened to the interview will remember he mentioned being in May and the city of Sheffield buzzing.

I really hope that our club take this opportunity to be up front with the supporters. I can't stop people believing what they want to believe but clearly the club have been in a state of chaos and financially are, to use the phrase currently in vogue, a complete basket case.

Now it may be that Jon Platt will be bringing in investment. It may be that supporters will once again have to save this club. It may be that other solutions are available.

What is not acceptable is for anyone with charge of our club to believe that we can just carry on as we have been doing. The true financial position of the club needs to be laid out. Not just accounts, but a proper breakdown of what our income has been and how it has been spent.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:17 pm
pembsexile wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 8:05 pm I initially thought this meeting was immediately before the AGM. It seems though that they haven’t set the date for the AGM yet.
That makes sense really, as those who purchased Community shares would have to leave the meeting when the AGM was about to start. It's a much more clear demarcation between Trust members (and historical shareholders) and those whose sole financial commitment may be just £50 (important as that was at that critical time).
Community Share contributors can have their say at this meeting ,but not a vote on motions at the AGM. At least that's my interpretation of the separation of the two meetings.
On the contrary. Those who bought community shares own the Trust. The only people who can be legally forced to leave the AGM are the Trust members who don't own community shares. I hope they won't be.

But an AGM is an annual general meeting of shareholders, not of members. You can be a member of a private gym, it doesn't make you a shareholder/owner.

Incidentally, Newport AFC as they are still constituted are still the controlling body. The Trust are the major but not only shareholder.
So by this reckoning, someone who contributed £50 for a Community Share (but never became a Trust member) has a right to attend the AGM that is not afforded to someone who subscribed the basic £10 pa trust membership and then upped it to £5/10/20 per month when the membership rates changed, but, conversely, did not contribute to the Community Share appeal?

excessbee wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:03 pm
So by this reckoning, someone who contributed £50 for a Community Share (but never became a Trust member) has a right to attend the AGM that is not afforded to someone who subscribed the basic £10 pa trust membership and then upped it to £5/10/20 per month when the membership rates changed, but, conversely, did not contribute to the Community Share appeal?
With regards to the AGM of the Trust, as opposed to the Club, that has not been the case in the past. Only full members as of a given date have been allowed to attend the Trust AGM because as members they automatically become shareholders of the Trust.

And, for clarification, the definition of 'full member' is?
• Club shareholder (Newport AFC)
and/or
• Current Trust member.
Or is Community Shareholder also included? I fall into all three categories so Trust AGM attendance is not an issue. For some it might be.
The forthcoming AGM (second meeting) will be a club AGM. My assumption is that those holding only a community share certificate aren't able to attend. I've never been entirely clear on this.....as you can tell.
Last edited by excessbee on May 23rd, 2023, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:30 pm And, for clarification, the definition of 'full member' is?
• Club shareholder (Newport AFC)
and/or
• Current Trust member.
Or is Community Shareholder also included? I fall into all three categories so AGM attendance is not an issue. For some it might be.
fully paid-up Trust members

EDIT: excluding Clwb Spytty and Teen Exiles

Amberexile wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:34 pm fully paid-up Trust members

Not that it matters much, as I can't imagine many youngsters would want to give up their evening to hear the annual statement of accounts being dissected, but I'd love to know the rationale for excluding them. They - or their parents - pay their subs for the season and they're County fans like the rest of us so it feels a bit mean-spirited to say they're not allowed in the room.

Amberexile wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm
With regards to the AGM of the Trust, as opposed to the Club, that has not been the case in the past. Only full members as of a given date have been allowed to attend the Trust AGM because as members they automatically become shareholders of the Trust.
That may be the case. However if the club have excluded shareholders from the AGM they have had no right to do so.

Yes, you have it.

For my own part I would not exclude trust members. The club should be bending over backwards to encourage inclusiveness, not finding reasons to exclude.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:58 pm

Not that it matters much, as I can't imagine many youngsters would want to give up their evening to hear the annual statement of accounts being dissected, but I'd love to know the rationale for excluding them. They - or their parents - pay their subs for the season and they're County fans like the rest of us so it feels a bit mean-spirited to say they're not allowed in the room.
I was replying to Excessbee in relation to the AGM. The Model Rules exclude under 16s from voting at a general meeting. If you let them into the AGM then you have to somehow ensure that then they don't vote. I see no reason why they could not attend the "Shareholders and Owners meeting" on 13th June as there will be no voting but it does seem sensible to restrict attendance to the AGMs to those who can vote on resolutions. In fact I see no reason other than space why the 13th June isn't just an open meeting that anyone can attend but since it is being broadcast online it will be.

Ah, got ya. Again though, if they pay their subs I don't see why they don't get a vote. I suppose in theory a supporter could sign up all their kids, grandkids and nieces/nephews and strongly encourage them to all vote the same way - but the risks of that happening are surely outweighed by the principle of letting younger supporters have a voice if they want to use it. Anyway, don't want to divert the thread on a relatively trivial point!

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 5:06 pm

Yes, you have it.

For my own part I would not exclude trust members. The club should be bending over backwards to encourage inclusiveness, not finding reasons to exclude.
NCAFC is a community owned sports club, and therefore comes under the co-operative and community benefit societies Act 2014.

The members are those paying a monthly subscription which entitles the holder to one share and voting rights etc.

The AGM will therefore be limited to those with voting rights. I assume that the pre meeting is to discuss changes to the model rules, rather than the articles of association for those holding the original company shares.

The model rules are published on the NCAFC website.

Amberexile wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:16 pm

I was replying to Excessbee in relation to the AGM. The Model Rules exclude under 16s from voting at a general meeting. If you let them into the AGM then you have to somehow ensure that then they don't vote. I see no reason why they could not attend the "Shareholders and Owners meeting" on 13th June as there will be no voting but it does seem sensible to restrict attendance to the AGMs to those who can vote on resolutions. In fact I see no reason other than space why the 13th June isn't just an open meeting that anyone can attend but since it is being broadcast online it will be.
The June 13 meeting is open to all Trust members, including Clwb Spytty and Teen Exiles. My grandson is a Clwb Spytty member and has had the same email about the meeting as I have.

Jonesy3 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 12:33 pm
Amberexile wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:16 pm

The June 13 meeting is open to all Trust members, including Clwb Spytty and Teen Exiles. My grandson is a Clwb Spytty member and has had the same email about the meeting as I have.
Glad to hear that, as it should be.

Very pleased that we all seem to agree that meetings regarding the future of our club should involve as many people as possible. And pleased the club have likewise recognised this.

I have emailed the club this morning to inform them I will be there. Further I have made a couple of requests. Quoting directly from my email.....

'I would be grateful if you would email me an agenda before the meeting. Also it would be helpful if a full financial statement were available prior to the meeting, not simply a statement of accounts but a full report on how club funds have been spent.'

I will of course keep you all informed as to any reply I receive.