Re: Shareholders and Owners meeting

Sounds a sensible move to me. I seem to recall some were whingeing last year that they couldn't attend the club agm, when wasn't it the case that company rules clearly stated the Club agm was open to Shareholders in the club (not the Trust) only? By having this preliminary meeting open to Club shareholders, Trust Community shareholders and Trust members, those that can't attend the club agm can say their piece beforehand.

pembsexile wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 8:05 pm I initially thought this meeting was immediately before the AGM. It seems though that they haven’t set the date for the AGM yet.
Evening Mike,

Only my analysis, I could be wrong.

Listening to Coughlan's interview, he believes Jon Platt is bringing in investment. I think this meeting of shareholders of the club and the Trust is to lay before those supporters who hold shares in either or both what those plans are. The follow up AGM will be to ratify that takeover.

That strikes me as a reasonable indeed sensible way of doing this. I think Jon Platt will have come over a few weeks ago and returned when it became clear that the incumbent board were not as of then in a position to call an AGM. I suspect he will be in attendance on the 13th.

I confess that if I am right, to having mixed emotions. On the one hand Jon Platt is clearly a County fan and probably represents our only chance of being competitive. Which is a relief, or will be if I'm right. On the other hand I have believed for nearly 40 years that fans control of clubs is the way forward for the likes of Newport County. That dream is over but recriminations serve no purpose.

Up the County.

Evening Brendan.
A couple of things. I listened to part of the Irish radio interview but couldn’t find a date that it was made. This could mean that the interview was done when Jon Platt was still very much on the scene. I do admit that I maybe wrong on this.

Secondly, I just wonder why the Club/Trust has not set a date for the AGM. As someone else said on the other board, when the announcement was made about 13 June, I for one thought it was about the AGM. I don’t see why a date for the AGM can’t be set.

Until I hear otherwise, unfortunately I think the Jon Platt issue is a red herring. I just don’t understand his silence if he has lots to offer.

pembsexile wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 8:05 pm I initially thought this meeting was immediately before the AGM. It seems though that they haven’t set the date for the AGM yet.
That makes sense really, as those who purchased Community shares would have to leave the meeting when the AGM was about to start. It's a much more clear demarcation between Trust members (and historical shareholders) and those whose sole financial commitment may be just £50 (important as that was at that critical time).
Community Share contributors can have their say at this meeting ,but not a vote on motions at the AGM. At least that's my interpretation of the separation of the two meetings.

pembsexile wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:18 pm Evening Brendan.
A couple of things. I listened to part of the Irish radio interview but couldn’t find a date that it was made. This could mean that the interview was done when Jon Platt was still very much on the scene. I do admit that I maybe wrong on this.

Secondly, I just wonder why the Club/Trust has not set a date for the AGM. As someone else said on the other board, when the announcement was made about 13 June, I for one thought it was about the AGM. I don’t see why a date for the AGM can’t be set.

Until I hear otherwise, unfortunately I think the Jon Platt issue is a red herring. I just don’t understand his silence if he has lots to offer.
The GC interview was first broadcast 3 days ago, mind you it doesn’t discount the possibility that it was recorded a little while back.

As for this meeting on the 13th I suspect we will be given some seismic news, for better or worse. Given that it involves all the ‘owners’ my suspicion is that a proposal is going to be put forward for approval, perhaps a takeover or additional capital raising, who knows at this stage. The accounts, when published, will only reveal part of any issues.

Any agreed proposition that may lead from all this will then need to be put before a General Meeting, and under the Trust's Rules there are 28 days to submit a resolution, so that would set the AGM date to around the week beginning 10th July.

Graham Coughlan mentions Sheffield Wednesday celebrating, so the interview is recent. He also mentions a supporter based in America "coming on board" but states that the club could also do with a rich backer. My take on that is that Jon Pratt's investment is not hugely significant.

What may be significant is how trust director's join the board. It could be that the trust's constitution is something that is changed, and possibly why Mr Igoe is involved.

Bangitintrnet wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:12 am Graham Coughlan mentions Sheffield Wednesday celebrating, so the interview is recent. He also mentions a supporter based in America "coming on board" but states that the club could also do with a rich backer. My take on that is that Jon Pratt's investment is not hugely significant.

What may be significant is how trust director's join the board. It could be that the trust's constitution is something that is changed, and possibly why Mr Igoe is involved.
Think your last paragraph may have some merit, as there are up to 4 vacancies available on the current Trust board's membership in line with the Model rules constitution , yet no announcements of elections to fill those vacancies? Just guessing of course.

You're not guessing. You are doing something I wish more people on this board would do, that being analysing the facts that you know and drawing a possible scenario. You take a statement, in this case that the Trust's constitution might be about to be changed. The reason for this being no announcements made about elections to fill board vacancies. Clearly there are board vacancies.
That may be right. However I believe that all that is not somehow enough to merit two meetings.
In his interview, Coughlan mentions Jon Pratt bringing in investment, he says also "What are we in now, May? Clearly showing that the interview took place long after Jon Pratt had returned to America.
Now of course neither of us have enough facts to be sure. Further either of our scenario being correct does not exclude the other being right. And indeed we could both be wrong.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:44 am

The GC interview was first broadcast 3 days ago, mind you it doesn’t discount the possibility that it was recorded a little while back.

As for this meeting on the 13th I suspect we will be given some seismic news, for better or worse. Given that it involves all the ‘owners’ my suspicion is that a proposal is going to be put forward for approval, perhaps a takeover or additional capital raising, who knows at this stage. The accounts, when published, will only reveal part of any issues.

Any agreed proposition that may lead from all this will then need to be put before a General Meeting, and under the Trust's Rules there are 28 days to submit a resolution, so that would set the AGM date to around the week beginning 10th July.
I agree. Your analysis fits all the facts we know.

My only caveat is that being Newport County, the facts we don't know might lead to this initial meeting being about something else all together.

That said an interesting if overlooked sentence of Coughlan's interview struck me as significant.

"We can't always be expecting supporters to keep putting their hands in their pockets."