Re: L2 play-offs.

halfmoon wrote: May 20th, 2023, 6:35 pm Salford failing is bad news for our fat-walleted northern compatriots: another moneybags club desperate for promotion that they’ll have to compete with
With 4 promotion spots up for grabs, while millions will be overspent by Wrexham, Notts County, Salford, FGR and Bradford, they can't all get promoted. I've probably missed at least one team as well.

Can't see FGR being in the running. More likely to be relegated back to non-league than to be promoted.

The right manager is vital. Look at the difference Coughlan made here with the same players that Rowberry had. Sparky was too timid to grab the opportunity at Bradford and if they keep him on will likely do the same thing next season. FGR have entirely the wrong man, if he's still there. Salford can't keep still long enough to know if they have the right one. Watch out for Wrexham, Notts County, Gillingham, MK Dons and us.

I was reading an article over the weekend about Wrexham

Their turnover was estimated at £6,000,000 last season...
If they do similar this season they will only be able to spend 55% of that.....Last season their wage bill was between £3,000000 - £3,5000,000...They have kept most of their title winning squad so are probably committed to almost £2,500,000 + already.....Players they are linked with and are after will swallow up a lot of their remaining budget so they will only sign 5/6 players at most IMO....
If you analyse their squad , they haven't got many world beaters in it ...many have had careers in League 2 before joing Hollywood FC and haven't set the world light. ( 2 of their squad are two ex players ( Tozer and Waters) who did ok but never shone out as players you need to Win the League...
They will do well and be near the Promotion places all season but I don't think it will be as easy for them as some seem to think it will be...

neilcork68 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 2:23 pm I was reading an article over the weekend about Wrexham

Their turnover was estimated at £6,000,000 last season...
If they do similar this season they will only be able to spend 55% of that.....Last season their wage bill was between £3,000000 - £3,5000,000...They have kept most of their title winning squad so are probably committed to almost £2,500,000 + already.....Players they are linked with and are after will swallow up a lot of their remaining budget so they will only sign 5/6 players at most IMO....
If you analyse their squad , they haven't got many world beaters in it ...many have had careers in League 2 before joing Hollywood FC and haven't set the world light. ( 2 of their squad are two ex players ( Tozer and Waters) who did ok but never shone out as players you need to Win the League...
They will do well and be near the Promotion places all season but I don't think it will be as easy for them as some seem to think it will be...
If their owners want to spend more, it is very easy for them to stay within the SCMP rules and do so. It all depends on whether they are prepared to move from piling debt onto the club to financing the experiment either themselves or indirectly through other backers.

G Guest wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 2:15 pm Can't see FGR being in the running. More likely to be relegated back to non-league than to be promoted.

The right manager is vital. Look at the difference Coughlan made here with the same players that Rowberry had. Sparky was too timid to grab the opportunity at Bradford and if they keep him on will likely do the same thing next season. FGR have entirely the wrong man, if he's still there. Salford can't keep still long enough to know if they have the right one. Watch out for Wrexham, Notts County, Gillingham, MK Dons and us.
Don't agree. I think they'll throw money around in the form of big wages. Add to the fact you've got all the clubs you've listed there plus a few others with big pockets relative to our league I think we're in for a very tough season next.