Re: Morecambe

Paradoxically, surviving in the PL once we get there might not be the main problem because it is awash with money and clubs don't really need spectators to survive. But getting there with a stadium with only 5,000 or so seats would be nigh on impossible without a mega rich backer.

Amberexile wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:44 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:08 am Why did I already know your reply would be a putdown😀. Yes get an investor!
The level of investment needed for us to reach the Premier League would kill the club as I know it. So that's a no from me.
I wonder if the lifelong fans of Bournemouth or Brentford feel that way. Notwithstanding their relegation to League 1 would Wigan fans trade their memories of Premier League football and beating Manchester City to win the FA Cup Final for our perennial dog fights? Do Swansea City fans resent their status, and would gladly give up their memories of days out at Anfield and Old Trafford and winning the League Cup in exchange for renting their home at St Helen's ground Swansea?

Football is about dreams. Take the dreams away and it's just 22 men kicking a ball around a meadow for 90 minutes.

Having dreams is one thing, expecting others to provide them while you sit and criticise for the sake of criticism quite another.

Interesting how one of Coventry with just a licence and/or Luton with a 10,000 stadium will achieve promotion success when Stan said categorically that County are Fecked without them..........

G Guest wrote: May 18th, 2023, 11:57 am Paradoxically, surviving in the PL once we get there might not be the main problem because it is awash with money and clubs don't really need spectators to survive. But getting there with a stadium with only 5,000 or so seats would be nigh on impossible without a mega rich backer.
Well there are a number of issues you potentially raise there.

First of all is that as Jock Stein said, without fans professional football is nothing. And as you rightly observe we have to get there in any event. And as you will be aware Arsenal, Manchester City, Brentford etc have entirely new stadia. Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Wolves in fact just about everyone has spent fortunes renovating their grounds. These days a fit for purpose stadium is a necessity.

You say that the Premier League is awash with money and that surviving is not predicated on the number of supporters. I think that is correct in the short term, but as I have argued if your only ambition is survival one day you will fail. Indeed looking at the size of Newport, I don't believe that we can ever aspire to the heights of a Liverpool or Manchester United. What we can aspire to, should aspire to, is playing at the highest level possible.

Which are the biggest cities in England.? London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool. How many Premier League winners have come from conurbations other than these. Forget what your wives and girlfriends tell you, size matters.

But Championship level. Ipswich, Preston, Swansea, et al are all about the same size as Newport. My view is we should aim to become a Championship team. Accept in bad times we may be League 1. Aspire in good times to make the top table.

Burnley is smaller than Newport. If they can do it, so can we.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:23 pm
G Guest wrote: May 18th, 2023, 11:57 am Paradoxically, surviving in the PL once we get there might not be the main problem because it is awash with money and clubs don't really need spectators to survive. But getting there with a stadium with only 5,000 or so seats would be nigh on impossible without a mega rich backer.
Well there are a number of issues you potentially raise there.

First of all is that as Jock Stein said, without fans professional football is nothing. And as you rightly observe we have to get there in any event. And as you will be aware Arsenal, Manchester City, Brentford etc have entirely new stadia. Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Wolves in fact just about everyone has spent fortunes renovating their grounds. These days a fit for purpose stadium is a necessity.

You say that the Premier League is awash with money and that surviving is not predicated on the number of supporters. I think that is correct in the short term, but as I have argued if your only ambition is survival one day you will fail. Indeed looking at the size of Newport, I don't believe that we can ever aspire to the heights of a Liverpool or Manchester United. What we can aspire to, should aspire to, is playing at the highest level possible.

Which are the biggest cities in England.? London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool. How many Premier League winners have come from conurbations other than these. Forget what your wives and girlfriends tell you, size matters.

But Championship level. Ipswich, Preston, Swansea, et al are all about the same size as Newport. My view is we should aim to become a Championship team. Accept in bad times we may be League 1. Aspire in good times to make the top table.

Burnley is smaller than Newport. If they can do it, so can we.

No it's just the women you know who mention size🤪

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:20 pm
neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:12 pm

Most of the women I knew weren't overly kind. :oops:

What was the line ?

Oh yeah , I remember.....

I may have a small nail but I have a hell of a hammer to bang it in with.....

I had normally farted , rolled over and fell asleep before they had chance to even find out my name never mind the pillow talk

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:20 pm
neilcork68 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 4:12 pm

Most of the women I knew weren't overly kind. :oops:

What was the line ?

Oh yeah , I remember.....

I may have a small nail but I have a hell of a hammer to bang it in with.....

I had normally farted , rolled over and fell asleep before they had chance to even find out my name never mind the pillow talk

Obviously not really relevant for this thread but fascinating to watch 30k people watching Sheff Weds turn around a 4 goal deficit at the death.

Given Sheff Utd also get a crowd of 30k, the city of Sheffield gets almost 1 in 10 people in the city into their football grounds each weekend.

Obviously no point making the comparison but we’d be 1 in 39. Bristol sides at 1 in 17. Cardiff 1 in 19. Swansea 1 in 14.

landinho wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:26 pm Obviously not really relevant for this thread but fascinating to watch 30k people watching Sheff Weds turn around a 4 goal deficit at the death.

Given Sheff Utd also get a crowd of 30k, the city of Sheffield gets almost 1 in 10 people in the city into their football grounds each weekend.

Obviously no point making the comparison but we’d be 1 in 39. Bristol sides at 1 in 17. Cardiff 1 in 19. Swansea 1 in 14.
On the contrary.

And why is the first question we need to ask. And the second question needs to be how we put that right.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:35 pm
landinho wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:26 pm Obviously not really relevant for this thread but fascinating to watch 30k people watching Sheff Weds turn around a 4 goal deficit at the death.

On the contrary.

And why is the first question we need to ask. And the second question needs to be how we put that right.
I don’t think it’s a worthwhile comparison. Fun, yes. But of course 1 in 9 people in Manchester go to watch Prem Football because they’re the best sides in England. And the inverse applies to us.

Sheffield is a football city, always has been. It is also a great place to live, especially tonight :grin:

Amberexile wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:44 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: May 18th, 2023, 10:08 am Why did I already know your reply would be a putdown😀. Yes get an investor!
The level of investment needed for us to reach the Premier League would kill the club as I know it. So that's a no from me.
Presumably not if we met a friendly Sheikh whose tent was black and amber and who had a camel he named Spytty!
Back to reality, some years ago ( longer ago probably than I imagine ) I chatted with a member of Supporters Direct who maintained that if a L2 club spent on average £1.5 million yearly on the playing budget then life in the division above would cost £3.5 million. That explains why unless you step up the budget considerably then you end up back in the basement with such great celerity.