Trees

The M4 through Newport has been deemed an area that needs to have ' speed cameras' installed to help clean the air due to high levels of car pollution.....and slow the traffic down .
So why do they deem it a good idea to cut down so many trees, as they are doing now ?

''Trees reduce the 'Greenhouse' effect by removing carbon dioxide from the air and releasing oxygen. Each year a mature tree produces enough oxygen for 10 people. Trees are also an effective sound barrier and can limit noise pollution. Recent research shows that trees also help reduce the stress of modern life.''

And we have the cheek to have a go at the Brazilians for cutting down the 'rainforests'
Have you seen the umber of trees we cut down each year ? ...And don't get me started by the crap we are fed by the Government and Companies saying that for every tree that is cut down they plant two saplings to replace them ...The majority of the saplings planted die in the first few weeks of them being planted .
And we wonder why the air is not clean ?

Re: Trees

Trees are one of natures wonders obviously. However, they do not have a negative effect on the amount of carbon in the atmosphere. Yes, of course, during its life the tree absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and releases oxygen back into the atmosphere. At the end of its life the tree dies, even if it decays in its natural life cycle, all the carbon held in its trunk etc is released back into the atmosphere. Net result - as you were.

The only way to stop the earth warming up and avoid the greenhouse effect is to stop burning fossil fuels. It’s a massive ask, but governments, companies and individuals should go for a greener option. Cut down on waste and use renewable energy sources such as:

Tidal, wind, solar, geothermal or nuclear fuels. Others are available. In the long term this is the major problem that we have to be able to survive as a species.

neilcork68 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:57 pm I would accept that but its not just Ash trees they are cutting...
As far as I can find it doesnt harm other types of trees but I have seen vast areas of many types of trees being cut down
Sometimes if you take out one species out of woodland it leaves little clusters of individual trees that have grown to full height with a protective forest around them. They may not be able to stand high winds etc, and be a danger. Sometimes they will be able to, and sometimes they will grow extra roots to provide extra support, however as for deciding which will be OK and which won't, more difficult. To come back and deal with the affects of windblowns months or years later is far more expensive than just cutting the whole lot once and for all. So unfortunately like a lot of things, it comes down to economics, rather than ecofreindly decision making.

Go to places like Abergavenny and look at the areas of Forestry that was cut down since the Pandemic.. Acres of trees on the Mountainside were and are still being felled.
I had to work during Covid as I am a Key Worker...The amount of 'Timber Companies Lorries' I saw fully laden with trees on a daily basis after the tree felling was shocking....I wouldnt think tree felling was a 'Key Job' during a national pandemic ' but they never stopped.

neilcork68 wrote: March 1st, 2023, 1:22 pm Go to places like Abergavenny and look at the areas of Forestry that was cut down since the Pandemic.. Acres of trees on the Mountainside were and are still being felled.
I had to work during Covid as I am a Key Worker...The amount of 'Timber Companies Lorries' I saw fully laden with trees on a daily basis after the tree felling was shocking....I wouldnt think tree felling was a 'Key Job' during a national pandemic ' but they never stopped.
It has happened a lot on what was forestry estate land, around Aberdare, Merthyr and Risca. Some of it is thinning where they take out the bigger trees and to let smaller grow up towards more light. Some on mountainside is just because the trees are mature, and the plantation ready for harvesting and replacing with saplings. Sometimes it is to replace larch and pine with more natural broadleaf plantations, and sometimes this just happens on the outside (visible) parts with the non indigenous species less noticeable.

I agree that tree felling is not a key job, but it is a job more akin to farming, where things just carried on as the infection risk was much lower.

It was also noticeable that trees planted to stabilise land adjacent major roads have been clear felled to falling distance. This approach appears to have been speeded up when road use was down due to the pandemic.

Talking of trees.....People lay flowers as a mark of respect for those who have passed away ...in the public eye of not
Isn't it about time people left a message and bought a tree to plant somewhere instead?
Just think of the mountains of flowers for the Queen or Sarah Everard e g.that had to be composted and how many trees could have been p!anted as a lasting tribute.

If you had run out of toilet paper during the COVID shutdowns you'd have soon realised how key forestry workers are. I think most/all loo roll manufacturers in the UK source paper made from UK wood pulp.

Not only that, but cardboard and other paper manufactured and used in the food industry, etc. for packaging requires pulp input.

Quite a lot of this is JIT manufacture, thus requiring "key" workers all along the production chain, from forest to supermarket.