Re: Half day

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:10 am Am I going nuts didn't we used to have a half day for shops during the week 🤔
Wednesday half closing. Except in towns where it was Thursday half closing.

In Victorian times and in some cases later people worked Saturday morning. Shop workers all day on Saturday. To make up for this shop workers were given a half day off in the week.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:55 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:10 am Am I going nuts didn't we used to have a half day for shops during the week 🤔

In Victorian times and in some cases later people worked Saturday morning. Shop workers all day on Saturday. To make up for this shop workers were given a half day off in the week.
Believe it was the Liberal government who made it law in 1912 to give shop workers a half off in midweek making it a 5 1/2 day working week. Not repealed until 1994?
A small number of towns/villages still observe this half day closing.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 24th, 2023, 11:04 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 24th, 2023, 10:55 am

Believe it was the Liberal government who made it law in 1912 to give shop workers a half off in midweek making it a 5 1/2 day working week. Not repealed until 1994?
A small number of towns/villages still observe this half day closing.
That I didn't know. Thank you.