Re: Exiles Grandstand Swindon home

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:16 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:51 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 4th, 2023, 2:57 pm Anyone hear the attendance
Now confirmed as 4,757, with a suspiciously exact 1,000 from Sw*ndon...!

Wonder why it was so long with the attendance
That's why some people love me and others hate me. I say what I think. And I think that the decision to not sell tickets on the day probably cost a few walk ups. I also think that a lot of casual supporters chose to watch Ireland crush Wales for free, rather than fork out for travel and admittance to Rodney Parade.

In the old days County liaised with the then Football League to avoid clashing with the rugby internationals. There may be good reasons why Newport County were unable to do this or it might have been a ****-up by the club. I'm sure we won't be told.

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:33 pm It's strange that Swansea didn't worry or have to change KO Saturday
I suppose. But with 14,000+ season tickets sold and a crowd of 17,000 when you take away the Birmingham support it is perhaps likely that some potential supporters chose the rugby. The 12-45 kick-off in any event precluded people from watching both games.

Again it may be the EFL don't allow changes in dates to avoid clashes. It may be that Gwent Police put pressure on the club, they call it advice. If this is the case, and it may well be, then the club should tell us.

When we talk about transparency this is exactly the type of thing which fans have a right to know. Whenever the board of a football club take a controversial decision, there will be some who agree and some who disagree. That's why they're controversial decisions. Much better if our club had the attitude of 'this is what we did, and this is why we did it'. Supporters can then agree or disagree.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:27 pm

That's why some people love me and others hate me. I say what I think. And I think that the decision to not sell tickets on the day probably cost a few walk ups. I also think that a lot of casual supporters chose to watch Ireland crush Wales for free, rather than fork out for travel and admittance to Rodney Parade.

In the old days County liaised with the then Football League to avoid clashing with the rugby internationals. There may be good reasons why Newport County were unable to do this or it might have been a ****-up by the club. I'm sure we won't be told.

Due to past seasons 'crowd trouble' I am sure it was 'Gwents finest' ( The Police) that made it a 12.45 kick off. and no tickets on the day sales...not the clubs

The club did post on their news feed on January 19th that the game had been brought forward to that time due to ' safety fears'

Read my latest post

neilcork68 wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:13 pm

Due to past seasons 'crowd trouble' I am sure it was 'Gwents finest' ( The Police) that made it a 12.45 kick off. and no tickets on the day sales...not the clubs

The club did post on their news feed on January 19th that the game had been brought forward to that time due to ' safety fears'
I suspect that's right. Further I think the police would have gone on to say that unless those conditions were met that they would charge Newport County a fortune for the extra police needed. Which would have left the club with little option. If that is the case my view is the club should say so.

Just my view, the police are our servants, or at least should be. Taxes paid pay the police to protect the 99.9% of us who behave properly to go about our lawful occasion without fear of the 0.01% of the population who want to stop us.

Watching football is not a crime.

wattsville_boy wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:40 pm It shouldn't be a problem. The 6Nations fixtures are known well in advance of the football fixture list, so County can request to play away on days that the Wales home fixtures fall. It's then the opponent's problem over the clash in fixtures. It's called forward planning, which the County hierarchy appear not to believe in
You may be right. However it is possible the EFL won't allow it. Clearly as Jim pointed out Swansea likewise were at home on Saturday. I simply don't know.

But it all comes down to transparency. If you know the facts you are in the position to be critical or supportive. Without the facts we are simply guessing.

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:56 pm Put it this way most county fans I know are not interested in peanut hugging can't we ask them to change KO times for a change
The reality being of course that County fans are a tiny number compared to the number of rugby six nations attendees and TV watchers, and are therefore understandably completely irrelevant to the broadcasters that set the KO times for such matches.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 6th, 2023, 2:10 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 6th, 2023, 1:56 pm Put it this way most county fans I know are not interested in peanut hugging can't we ask them to change KO times for a change
The reality being of course that County fans are a tiny number compared to the number of rugby six nations attendees and TV watchers, and are therefore understandably completely irrelevant to the broadcasters that set the KO times for such matches.

Nothing to do with the Rugby....It was the POLICE that changed the kick off time due to previous years 'TROUBLE'

Get over your ante rugby mindset.
There are plenty of supporters at The County who like both codes.
There were more people in the Newport pubs wearing red rugby tops than amber County tops.
The rugby was also on the TV screen in Bar Amber, no one in there was complaining or asking to switch over to football.
Sky football was also on a TV in bar Amber.

As for changing rugby kick off times, get real, The Welsh Rugby Internationals go out to a much bigger audience that the few of us who go down to RP so they are not going to change times for a small club like County.