Re: Abergavenny to Newport

A few years ago I took the train to Abergavenny then waked home to Malpas. It was a great hike

First section was to climb the Blorenge, then walked along the ridge to Pontypool.

Walked through Ponty to Race before going back up the hill along the ridge that runs from Twmbarlwm. Walked along to the trig at Twmbarlwm and then back down the back roads to Malpas.

I took me 9 hours but it was a great hike. I would recommend it. I may do it again some time

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:20 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: February 13th, 2023, 10:05 am Cheers all so basically you can't walk from Abergavenny to Newport on the canal that's what I wanted to do
I have only done it in sections, but can't see why it isn't achievable. The bit at Cwmbran isn't always canalside but still walkable.

https://www.campingbreconbeacons.com/mo ... con-canal/
Concur with that. Have cycled all sections of the canal between Llanfoist Wharf and Fourteen locks of the walk you are considering. But as bangitinthenet has stated that are gaps in the canal in Cwmbran between b&q and Henllys Way.

Many thanks yes I walk quite regularly to panteg area and back to malpas
So from llanfoist to Abergavenny is there a path or would you have to walk the road bit .

What I find a bit annoying they say the canal basically finishes as soon as you get to pontypool in a lot of these guides isn't the Newport stretch counted as part of the Monmouthshire canal 🤔

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 13th, 2023, 4:32 pm Many thanks yes I walk quite regularly to panteg area and back to malpas
So from llanfoist to Abergavenny is there a path or would you have to walk the road bit .

What I find a bit annoying they say the canal basically finishes as soon as you get to pontypool in a lot of these guides isn't the Newport stretch counted as part of the Monmouthshire canal 🤔
Shwmae Iago (Welsh for James) . How's your learning going?
There's actually a canal path on all sections between Brecon and Newport. The Newport & Monmouthshire canal initially ran from Pill (Potter Street lock I believe) to Pontnewynydd, and was completed in 1799 but now ends at Pontymoil basin, which is where the once separate Brecon canal eventually joined in 1812. The toll House at the basin which collected fees to allow barges to transfer from one canal to the other is still standing.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on February 13th, 2023, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 13th, 2023, 4:32 pm Many thanks yes I walk quite regularly to panteg area and back to malpas

The canal does not go to Abergavenny so you would have to join the canal at Llanfoist. You can walk to Llanfoist from Aber via Castle Meadows, alongside the River Usk, 200 yards from the train/bus station.
I would advise joining the canal by Abergavenny Garden Centre. The canal from Crickhowell to Pontymoile is Britain's longest lock free, I believe.
Then all downhill to Newport :P
Let me know if you need more detail.
Cheers
Tony

Free beer wrote: February 13th, 2023, 7:23 pm

The canal does not go to Abergavenny so you would have to join the canal at Llanfoist. You can walk to Llanfoist from Aber via Castle Meadows, alongside the River Usk, 200 yards from the train/bus station.
I would advise joining the canal by Abergavenny Garden Centre. The canal from Crickhowell to Pontymoile is Britain's longest lock free, I believe.
Then all downhill to Newport :P
Let me know if you need more detail.
Cheers
Tony
Good advice about joining the canal at Abergavenny end. Sure you are right about the canal having the longest lock free stretch in Britain (23 miles I seem to recall) from llangynidr, north of Crickhowell to five locks in Pontnewydd which is approx 350 ft above sea level; hence the meandering nature of its path following the contours of the land. There were 29 locks then south to Potter Street, Newport over 6 3/4 miles.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 13th, 2023, 5:45 pm

Shwmae Iago (Welsh for James) . How's your learning going?
There's actually a canal path on all sections between Brecon and Newport. The Newport & Monmouthshire canal initially ran from Pill (Potter Street lock I believe) to Pontnewynydd, and was completed in 1799 but now ends at Pontymoil basin, which is where the once separate Brecon canal eventually joined in 1812. The toll House at the basin which collected fees to allow barges to transfer from one canal to the other is still standing.
Struggling to be honest 😅