Re: How long will we give Cocko now?

Bonson&Hunt wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:08 pm As long as he wants imo! This transfer window has been slow but satisfying. He looks to have recruited wisely & been patient, bringing in quality as far as we can see. I know it'll depend on results but credit where credits due. He told us what he would do & he's pulled it off. Well done Graham, no shit from him!
Remains to be seen if he has the courage of his convictions to give those recruited game time Saturday of course, and if they make an improvement to the team.

Again just a personal view.

He has been brought in with a simple mandate. Avoid relegation. We should keep him in post until the end of the season. Once we are safe I would open negotiations for a new contract. The earlier we are safe, the more generous I'd be.

If we are relegated I doubt he'd want to stay. In the unlikely event we win our final 20 games and gain promotion, he could name his price.

I would disagree that Coughlan was doing well when I asked the question. He certainly was doing better than Rowberry but as it was clear early in the season that Rowberry didn't know what he was doing, then doing better than someone with no clue isn't a ringing endorsement.

But the players he's brought in seem decent on paper. Will they impress on grass though? 😀

Rowberrys qualifications and his time spent at Cardiff suggests he is good coach. When flynny left what was needed was an experience management team to come in and take us to the nx level. to bring in an inexperienced guy was a ludicrous decision made by the chairman and who else he involved in the appointment procedure. We are now playing cat and mouse with our league status.

Wasn't Flynn an inexperienced coach when he was appointed ?

If these inexperienced coach's don't get appointed how do they gain experience ???

How many 'older experienced coaches' do the 'circuit' of moving from club to club achieving very little , end up getting sacked then move onto the next club ?? Just because they have 'experience' doesn't mean that they would have been able to 'take us to the next level'....Otherwise why are they unemployed or coaching Academy teams ???? ( such as Coughlan was )

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....Hudson was a complete failure with us in the past...Now he is involved with the USA national team and has been hardly been out of work since we fired him managing National sides around the world.

I will come out and say it in the hope that I am proved wrong by Coughlan...… Although I haven't seen any of the new signings play for us I am not that impressed by the January transfer window dealings by us . I hope I am way off the mark and they come in , kick on and prove they are good signings and that they make us better but we have had loads of players come to us from Premier or Championship clubs that shine in YOUTH football but struggle to make an impact in League Two.
Bowen and Nevers being an examples this season...... Yes Darlow , White and Azeez were successes in the recent past but how many have we had that weren't ?

I do believe the BOD have made an error in recruitment...… Darren Kelly.....have we kicked on since his appointment....? I haven't seen any evidence of improvement...have you ???
He has been involved in the recruitment of JR and GC...are we any better ?

I also question why we took outside advice off Paul Trollope when appointing GC ?

Flynn had an experienced Manager on the bench to help him. The board should have insisted on an experienced head as Assistant as a proviso for offering Rowberry the Managers job. Instead he was allowed to appoint his mate, who was equal Managerial experience.

I agree that the jury's out on Kelly as SD. I guess it's trying to balance out effects with trying to (at least) balance the books. But in defence I would re-iterate that if there is no vision, no overall direction, no plan how are you supposed to know how to identify the young players needed to take the club forwards.

I suppose both Coughlan and Kelly will be judged on the next few months. Btw County are still around 25/1 to be relegated...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:21 pm Flynn had an experienced Manager on the bench to help him. The board should have insisted on an experienced head as Assistant as a proviso for offering Rowberry the Managers job. Instead he was allowed to appoint his mate, who was equal Managerial experience.

I agree that the jury's out on Kelly as SD. I guess it's trying to balance out effects with trying to (at least) balance the books. But in defence I would re-iterate that if there is no vision, no overall direction, no plan how are you supposed to know how to identify the young players needed to take the club forwards.

I suppose both Coughlan and Kelly will be judged on the next few months. Btw County are still around 25/1 to be relegated...
Really good point I hadn't thought of that, Flynn had Len next to him and not forgetting Hats is extremely important too and is underrated in my opinion. Who did Rowberry have on his side? Carl Serrant, a fitness coach...

neilcork68 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:00 pm Wasn't Flynn an inexperienced coach when he was appointed ?

If these inexperienced coach's don't get appointed how do they gain experience ???

How many 'older experienced coaches' do the 'circuit' of moving from club to club achieving very little , end up getting sacked then move onto the next club ?? Just because they have 'experience' doesn't mean that they would have been able to 'take us to the next level'....Otherwise why are they unemployed or coaching Academy teams ???? ( such as Coughlan was )

Hindsight is a wonderful thing....Hudson was a complete failure with us in the past...Now he is involved with the USA national team and has been hardly been out of work since we fired him managing National sides around the world.

I will come out and say it in the hope that I am proved wrong by Coughlan...… Although I haven't seen any of the new signings play for us I am not that impressed by the January transfer window dealings by us . I hope I am way off the mark and they come in , kick on and prove they are good signings and that they make us better but we have had loads of players come to us from Premier or Championship clubs that shine in YOUTH football but struggle to make an impact in League Two.
Bowen and Nevers being an examples this season...... Yes Darlow , White and Azeez were successes in the recent past but how many have we had that weren't ?

I do believe the BOD have made an error in recruitment...… Darren Kelly.....have we kicked on since his appointment....? I haven't seen any evidence of improvement...have you ???
He has been involved in the recruitment of JR and GC...are we any better ?

I also question why we took outside advice off Paul Trollope when appointing GC ?
Lbh flynny was given the job as a last resort after they that idiot Westley nearly put our club in jeopardy. And by hook or crook he achieved the miracle in the great escape. WH and LL were massive in helping MF gain the experience whilst doing the job .the point I was making tho was after MF left what we needed was experience not a untried manager to take us to the next level.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:55 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:21 pm Flynn had an experienced Manager on the bench to help him. The board should have insisted on an experienced head as Assistant as a proviso for offering Rowberry the Managers job. Instead he was allowed to appoint his mate, who was equal Managerial experience.

Really good point I hadn't thought of that, Flynn had Len next to him and not forgetting Hats is extremely important too and is underrated in my opinion. Who did Rowberry have on his side? Carl Serrant, a fitness coach...
Thats down to Kelly and the BOD....
Unless the BOD change they will carry on as they are....Kelly however is an employee and MUST be judged by higher authority.....
As yet I see nothing to justify why he was appointed into such a high position in the club given his background / experience and what has he actually done since getting the job...If the BOD thought he was more than capable of being the Director Of Football or whatever his title is why did he have to get Trollope involved when choosing a new manager ?