34 years of shame and finally.

Finally after 34 years of shame the police have come clean about Hillsborough.

They should have apologised for the failings that day. But worse, far worse, was the way the British Government, the police, the legal establishment covered up.

They humiliated the dead, they insulted the families. May Duckenfield and the scum who covered up for him rot.

Re: 34 years of shame and finally.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:18 pm Finally after 34 years of shame the police have come clean about Hillsborough.

They should have apologised for the failings that day. But worse, far worse, was the way the British Government, the police, the legal establishment covered up.

They humiliated the dead, they insulted the families. May Duckenfield and the scum who covered up for him rot.
Very true and coupled with the latest scandal with the disgusting sexual crimes and attitudes shown by many of the personnel masquerading as officers upholding the law, the whole service needs total root and branch reform.

I’m a Liverpool fan so I don’t think I need to state my feelings on what happened.

However, there is another side. I often wonder how Superintedent Dickenfield family feel about what happened. It was his first full game commanding a sell out crowd after the previous incumbent had to be removed for ‘training reasons’ after a prank had gone wrong. He needs to accept some responsibility.

I am not defending Dickenfield but I feel that the word ‘scum’ would be better targeted at the people who tried to cover it up and deflect blame. High ranking Police Officers including the Chief Constable, the legal big wigs, the Sun (yeuch) and lastly, Thatcher who defended the actions of the Police. They are the real scum.

When will these people ever learn that you cannot accept high office without putting your head above the parapet and accepting responsibility. They were wrong, just plain wrong and tried to defend the indefensible.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:27 pm Hi Mike,

I would feel nothing but sympathy had Duckenfield been truthful. He f@cked up and 97 people died. And there but for the grace of God.

What I can't forgive is that the police hierarchy and Duckenfield colluded to blame the grieving families.

May they all rot.
Hi Brendan,

As I said, I’m not defending Dickenfield, he was wrong and he knew it, I just have concerns about how his own family felt.

I am not usually keen on supporting Margaret Thatcher who used the North Sea oil bonanza to keep 4 million unemployed but she knew nothing about football and may never have been to a football match. When the police lied to her about the behaviour of the Liverpool fans she unfortunately believed them without question.

G Guest wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:44 pm I am not usually keen on supporting Margaret Thatcher who used the North Sea oil bonanza to keep 4 million unemployed but she knew nothing about football and may never have been to a football match. When the police lied to her about the behaviour of the Liverpool fans she unfortunately believed them without question.
I'm not a great lover of Jack Straw. But I agree with his criticsm of Thatcher regarding Hillsborough. The criticism being that Thatcher fostered a culture of impunity within the police. She may have been lied to, but her complicity should not be forgotten.

lowandhard wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:49 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:18 pm Finally after 34 years of shame the police have come clean about Hillsborough.

Very true and coupled with the latest scandal with the disgusting sexual crimes and attitudes shown by many of the personnel masquerading as officers upholding the law, the whole service needs total root and branch reform.
Hillsborough aside which was an undeniable egregious litany of police failings and corruption, the current 'Police' are in the majority decent, if sometimes imperfect, people and will be there at our darkest times should we need them.

CathedralCounty wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:58 pm

Hillsborough aside which was an undeniable egregious litany of police failings and corruption, the current 'Police' are in the majority decent, if sometimes imperfect, people and will be there at our darkest times should we need them.
I agree to the extent that the majority of police officers are decent people doing a difficult job.

But there is a canteen culture which allows too many officers to behave in an unacceptable way. Further the 'few bad apples' defence simply doesn't wash.There are a small but not insignificant number of thugs in uniform. And a larger number who look the other way when they observe this thuggery.

I would make the police accountable in a number of ways. Firstly modern technology allows for body cameras. They should be worn at all times by all officers. Further I would make it a criminal offence for any officer not to intervene when he or she observes criminal behaviour from another officer.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:17 pm

I agree to the extent that the majority of police officers are decent people doing a difficult job.

But there is a canteen culture which allows too many officers to behave in an unacceptable way. Further the 'few bad apples' defence simply doesn't wash.There are a small but not insignificant number of thugs in uniform. And a larger number who look the other way when they observe this thuggery.

I would make the police accountable in a number of ways. Firstly modern technology allows for body cameras. They should be worn at all times by all officers. Further I would make it a criminal offence for any officer not to intervene when he or she observes criminal behaviour from another officer.
Yes a reasonable and simple device for supervising their behaviour and protecting them from untrue accusations. It’s obvious though, judging by the current case in the US of A, that even cameras doesn’t stop officers’ violent behaviour to civilians and in the case in question didn’t stop them murdering the poor individual - hopefully, however, it should help to convict the murderous thugs.

lowandhard wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:35 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:17 pm

Yes a reasonable and simple device for supervising their behaviour and protecting them from untrue accusations. It’s obvious though, judging by the current case in the US of A, that even cameras doesn’t stop officers’ violent behaviour to civilians and in the case in question didn’t stop them murdering the poor individual - hopefully, however, it should help to convict the murderous thugs.
Hearing that young lad calling for his mother as those c@nts kicked him to death was as heartbreaking a moment as I can remember.