Re: Dilemma (Wrexham)

pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:10 pm
whoareya wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:29 pm
pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:01 pm
Don’t think that’s true mate. The Supporters Trust own 63% (approx) of the club. The rest (I believe) is owned by previous shareholders or others. If you do some research you can get accurate info’ on this.
That possibly includes Messrs Greenhauff and Southall, who, IIRC, were to gift their shares to the Trust once the fundraising was successfully completed?

I posted about this several years ago but no clear answer was forthcoming.

The conundrum here is that, only a dozen or so posters on here raise issues at will, expecting answers back on here.

Even fewer actually make an effort to find out and even fewer persist until they get answers.

However unpalatable, the truth is that not enough supporters care, are interested enough, or even see any problem with how things are currently run.

Equally unpalatable is the fact that, to make things change, you have to be part of the change.

Having Board members re-elected unopposed several times confirms there is no appetite for change.
I think there are a few of us that are concerned and care about the governance of the club. As you know, about a year ago I was trying to find out how the Supporters Trust and the football club work ‘in reality’. It took a long time to get an answer. I was concerned that Directors of both committees appear to work on both. I wasn’t sure if that was correct. I spoke with Two Directors and I can say that I was given reassurance (which I wanted) that the way the club is run is in accordance with guidelines.

That said, I wouldn’t want to do their job, a thankless task. Good luck to them.
Shwmae Mike,
I was one of those that shared your concerns about the legitimacy of how the club was being governed; I don't believed we appreciated that the football club group and community club group were in effect sub divisions of the overarching Trust board and all directors sat on one of those sub divisions and the full trust board, which I am assured is allowable within the model rules of supporters trusts.
Having said that I do feel that the transparency of the club leaves a lot to be desired, especially in relation to the widespread speculation of an wealthy individual expressing an interest in investing in the football club. Surely some public statement should be forthcoming, even it is to dispell rumours.
Of course being a director is a thankless task . My guess is the vast majority of supporters are just thankful and content that we are still competing in the EFL, and making small annual profits.

whoareya wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:45 am
Trigger wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:16 pm

He's not American, he's from Newport and a county supporter.
So why hasn't he gone public then? You know, proper public via the press, not on an obscure Facebook group?

Let's have a formal expression of interest so that Trust members can see who he is, what he's propsing, how he would fund it, who's money would he be using etc etc.

This supposed interest has been rumoured for months, if he really is interested then get the message out properly. In my opinion he's lost credibility by not doing so, he's currently no more than a tyre kicker.....
He's currently in talks with the board so I've been told, quite a few county fans know him and believe he's genuine. Don't see why he should go public whilst he's in talks, it took him long enough to get to this stage by the seems of it!

Trigger wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:52 pm
whoareya wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:45 am
Trigger wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:16 pm

He's not American, he's from Newport and a county supporter.
So why hasn't he gone public then? You know, proper public via the press, not on an obscure Facebook group?

Let's have a formal expression of interest so that Trust members can see who he is, what he's propsing, how he would fund it, who's money would he be using etc etc.

This supposed interest has been rumoured for months, if he really is interested then get the message out properly. In my opinion he's lost credibility by not doing so, he's currently no more than a tyre kicker.....
He's currently in talks with the board so I've been told, quite a few county fans know him and believe he's genuine. Don't see why he should go public whilst he's in talks, it took him long enough to get to this stage by the seems of it!
Know him through his formative years after emigrating to the US, or know him from school and kids football 40 years ago ?!

Anyway, good to hear there is dialogue, ultimately we'll all get to vote on it if an offer is made.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: January 31st, 2023, 5:30 pm
Don’t think that’s true mate. The Supporters Trust own 63% (approx) of the club. The rest (I believe) is owned by previous shareholders or others. If you do some research you can get accurate info’ on this.
That possibly includes Messrs Greenhauff and Southall, who, IIRC, were to gift their shares to the Trust once the fundraising was successfully completed?

The conundrum here is that, only a dozen or so posters on here raise issues at will, expecting answers back on here.

Even fewer actually make an effort to find out and even fewer persist until they get answers.

However unpalatable, the truth is that not enough supporters care, are interested enough, or even see any problem with how things are currently run.

Equally unpalatable is the fact that, to make things change, you have to be part of the change.

Having Board members re-elected unopposed several times confirms there is no appetite for change.
I think there are a few of us that are concerned and care about the governance of the club. As you know, about a year ago I was trying to find out how the Supporters Trust and the football club work ‘in reality’. It took a long time to get an answer. I was concerned that Directors of both committees appear to work on both. I wasn’t sure if that was correct. I spoke with Two Directors and I can say that I was given reassurance (which I wanted) that the way the club is run is in accordance with guidelines.

That said, I wouldn’t want to do their job, a thankless task. Good luck to them.
Shwmae Mike,
I was one of those that shared your concerns about the legitimacy of how the club was being governed; I don't believed we appreciated that the football club group and community club group were in effect sub divisions of the overarching Trust board and all directors sat on one of those sub divisions and the full trust board, which I am assured is allowable within the model rules of supporters trusts.
Having said that I do feel that the transparency of the club leaves a lot to be desired, especially in relation to the widespread speculation of an wealthy individual expressing an interest in investing in the football club. Surely some public statement should be forthcoming, even it is to dispell rumours.
Of course being a director is a thankless task . My guess is the vast majority of supporters are just thankful and content that we are still competing in the EFL, and making small annual profits.
Shwmae Mark,

Agree with everything you have written there of course.

With regards to transparency, one of the things I did suggest with the chats was an Excel type spreadsheet put on the Trust web page explaining how the structure of the club works. I think this would alleviate a lot of problems as I think people don’t understand the structure. I certainly didn’t. It wasn’t on the webpage last time I looked. Maybe it has been put somewhere else and I haven’t seen it. I think it would be a good idea.

pembsexile wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:19 pm

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

With regards to transparency, one of the things I did suggest with the chats was an Excel type spreadsheet put on the Trust web page explaining how the structure of the club works. I think this would alleviate a lot of problems as I think people don’t understand the structure. I certainly didn’t. It wasn’t on the webpage last time I looked. Maybe it has been put somewhere else and I haven’t seen it. I think it would be a good idea.
There is a pdf, somewhat out of date with regards to the names therein, which goes to explain the goveranance model, relationship between the boards etc. It is available on the club website and can be downloaded here -

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/siteas ... paper-.pdf

Amberexile wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:20 pm

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

There is a pdf, somewhat out of date with regards to the names therein, which goes to explain the goveranance model, relationship between the boards etc. It is available on the club website and can be downloaded here -

Thanks for putting that up. As you say, with regards to the names it is out of date. If organisations are going to draw diagrams of internal structure, they should put in the job role, not the name. The names of the incumbents can be added, but it should primarily be the job role highlighted. The doc is dated September 2017. It was suggested in our talks that it is this document that should be updated.

That said, it does give a decent narrative of how the club is run and why.

I'd love to have a model like the Swans but to put it into perspective their US investors are worth tens, if not a combined hundred plus million $ and a lot of serious business people with previous investor/franchise owning experience. Not sure I'd have the same level of confidence with someone who's owned a tinpot local business even if they are a nice person!

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

I thank you for that link also, and at least it confirms my understanding and explains far more eruditely what I was trying to say earlier.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:01 pm

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

I thank you for that link also, and at least it confirms my understanding and explains far more eruditely what I was trying to say earlier.
It would certainly help people to understand if this was made more easily available. I remembered seeing it previously and saving a copy so thought that it should be on the documents section of the Trust website but it isn't and while I found it pretty easily, that is mainly because I knew what I was looking for and got it as the first result on a simple Google search. It is basically a more County specific version of what the model rules outline. While I can't say I agree with every aspect of it and I guess there is a fine line between making something publicly available and force feeding people. I also think it lacks one level of explanation of why to go with the how even if that is pretty obvious.

Amberexile wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:47 pm

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

It would certainly help people to understand if this was made more easily available. I remembered seeing it previously and saving a copy so thought that it should be on the documents section of the Trust website but it isn't and while I found it pretty easily, that is mainly because I knew what I was looking for and got it as the first result on a simple Google search. It is basically a more County specific version of what the model rules outline. While I can't say I agree with every aspect of it and I guess there is a fine line between making something publicly available and force feeding people. I also think it lacks one level of explanation of why to go with the how even if that is pretty obvious.
Would the model rules be those of clubs run by a trust?

whoareya wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:30 am
owlsabout wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:01 am He did ho public in order for our board to acknowledge his request to become involved with the club ! Apparently he s been trying for a while without no response from the board .now contact has been made he would have signed a non disclosure agreement!. If you rewind 4 years ago at an open meeting directors SJ KW and Co opted MC stated that the club were running at a loss of 350;000 a year and we can't depend cup runs alone to survive. We'll have been fortunate and lucky till this season with some great big cup days play offs finals, this fan owned won't work without major investment or a take over !we own nothing the infrastructure has been poor crowds have dropped due to poor results paid off managers / imo the time is right for a change .
He didn't go public - otherwise we'd know all about him and his interest, I thought it was all via the County Facebook group initially - that's not going public, that's chatting on social media.

Non disclosure agreements aren't used in the context of expressing an interest, it defeats the object. Its only when you enter into negotiations that disclose/open book/due diligence becomes relevant.

Who are his advisors, or is he just personally looking as an ex-pat supporter?
What background/expertise does he have in professional football, or is he another Les?

If this was going to fly, it would have already taken off. If the Board hadn't been receptive then you look to engage with the owners - having trust ownership is ideal for getting past a reluctant Board because you can engage directly with the real owners, but you have to get your message out. I don't use Facebook so that's probably why I don't know who he is or what his intentions are.

I'm guessing that I'm not alone on that.
Very sensible comments and of course before opening the books the Board would need assurances on funding / plans etc. to ensure not just a tyre kicker looking to spread information on social media - anybody trying to conduct an approach on social media needs to be handled with care it is not how business discussions are conducted.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:07 pm Why do we need to boatds?
I assume its to limit personal/asset risk if things go pear-shaped, akin to the limited liability act 1855.

If its purely operational then it could be to limit the influence of a Community Trust that could easily and legitimately elect an extreme Trust Board and create havoc and destruction if it wasn't separated by constitution?

It is often debated that the 'club' board is secretive and self serving, but imagine the implication for the County if a coup was launched from the Trust end?

whoareya wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:46 pm

I assume its to limit personal/asset risk if things go pear-shaped, akin to the limited liability act 1855.

If its purely operational then it could be to limit the influence of a Community Trust that could easily and legitimately elect an extreme Trust Board and create havoc and destruction if it wasn't separated by constitution?

It is often debated that the 'club' board is secretive and self serving, but imagine the implication for the County if a coup was launched from the Trust end?
Okay let's develop this. As once again I agree with your analysis.

Why would an extreme Trust board be likely to be elected?

And in any event why are Messrs Ward, Foxall and Johnson alone to decide that the Trust are not to be trusted?

In effect a small number control the club. What's to stop them being extreme?

There is only one reason for having two boards. It's to ensure those who have power at Newport County keep hold of it.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 1st, 2023, 5:07 pm
Amberexile wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:47 pm

Shwmae Mike,
Shwmae Mark,

Would the model rules be those of clubs run by a trust?
It’s the other way around. It’s the Supporters Trust model rules. Doesn’t mean that they are the model rules for all types of clubs.