Re: Three men arrested for alleged homophobic chanting in Chelsea match at Anfield

CathedralCounty wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:57 pm The Football Association (FA) can now charge clubs if their fans use a homophobic chant that has been aimed at Chelsea players and supporters.

In January 2022, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) classed the chant as a homophobic slur and said fans singing it during matches were committing a hate crime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64360412

Now – whether or not the alleged chant is or is not 'homophobic' and what indeed constitutes 'homophobia' or indeed whether any gay people in the stadium or beyond would be mortally offended or 'harmed' by such a chant is another debate BUT surely arresting and criminalising someone for a silly chant (where if it was done in a pub or on a street corner after a night out it would probably be passed off as misguided high jinks).

For me this whole ‘hate crime’ thing is another way to target football fans in a way that no other group in no other setting or scenario would be judged. I wholeheartedly condemn genuine ‘hate’ but don’t see why football fans should be harshly treated for stupidity in a way others would not – I do however believe there should be, certainly for first time offences, a process of education – get these people [IF they are guilty] talking with LGBT fans groups as to why [if?] such alleged chants hurt and are damaging - ditto for other categories of alleged ‘hate’.

While, should these allegations be proved, I'd have limited sympathy for the offenders, I just feel once again the nuclear button has been hit simply because these alleged offences took place in a football setting, and is if nothing else a huge waste of police & CPS time and money.
Well Bangitinthenet does it?

Re: Three men arrested for alleged homophobic chanting in Chelsea match at Anfield

Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 30th, 2023, 10:06 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: January 25th, 2023, 2:57 pm The Football Association (FA) can now charge clubs if their fans use a homophobic chant that has been aimed at Chelsea players and supporters.

In January 2022, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) classed the chant as a homophobic slur and said fans singing it during matches were committing a hate crime.

Now – whether or not the alleged chant is or is not 'homophobic' and what indeed constitutes 'homophobia' or indeed whether any gay people in the stadium or beyond would be mortally offended or 'harmed' by such a chant is another debate BUT surely arresting and criminalising someone for a silly chant (where if it was done in a pub or on a street corner after a night out it would probably be passed off as misguided high jinks).

For me this whole ‘hate crime’ thing is another way to target football fans in a way that no other group in no other setting or scenario would be judged. I wholeheartedly condemn genuine ‘hate’ but don’t see why football fans should be harshly treated for stupidity in a way others would not – I do however believe there should be, certainly for first time offences, a process of education – get these people [IF they are guilty] talking with LGBT fans groups as to why [if?] such alleged chants hurt and are damaging - ditto for other categories of alleged ‘hate’.

While, should these allegations be proved, I'd have limited sympathy for the offenders, I just feel once again the nuclear button has been hit simply because these alleged offences took place in a football setting, and is if nothing else a huge waste of police & CPS time and money.
True to say the CPS are never shy of coming down ludicrously, almost laughably, hard on football fans are they? There was a case of a Grimsby Town fan charged over an inflatable shark incident - one of many egregious prosecutions, so court action is very much on the agenda I'm afraid - there but for the grace of God go us:

His words after the verdict:

"Very surprised and shocked by the verdict, but got to respect what the court has said.
"I think if this didn't happen at football I wouldn't be here today, I'm sure of that."

The bit in bold sums up my feelings on these 'offences'.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/gr ... tory.shtml

CathedralCounty wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:08 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: January 30th, 2023, 10:06 pm

True to say the CPS are never shy of coming down ludicrously, almost laughably, hard on football fans are they? There was a case of a Grimsby Town fan charged over an inflatable shark incident - one of many egregious prosecutions, so court action is very much on the agenda I'm afraid - there but for the grace of God go us:

His words after the verdict:

"Very surprised and shocked by the verdict, but got to respect what the court has said.
"I think if this didn't happen at football I wouldn't be here today, I'm sure of that."

The bit in bold sums up my feelings on these 'offences'.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/gr ... tory.shtml
I know what you're saying, and in Wales Rugby and football fans are definitely treated differently.

However by its very nature, the law and court action is retrospective, and what Liverpool and particularly the FA are doing is proactive.

Sometimes someone has to be made an example of, if in the lead up to particular games warnings have been plenty full, otherwise it just barking into the wind. 3 arrested, 1 bailed pending further evidence and 2 told off IMO is reasonable.
Suggestions that the courts will be full if everyone is arrested for chanting is obviously taking things to the extreme, and misses the point of leading on what is unacceptable.

The FA premier league money that all league clubs get is with strings attached, responsibility for youth coaching and safeguarding being just two of many roles. In taking a proactive approach it becomes educational in the sense that what is unacceptable is highlighted, and hopefully self policing.

Liverpudlians are known for their witty banter, so don't need fans that cross the boundary. Who better to decide on where that boundary is than the clubs who have to deal with the problems?

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 1st, 2023, 4:12 pm

Sometimes someone has to be made an example of, if in the lead up to particular games warnings have been plenty full, otherwise it just barking into the wind. 3 arrested, 1 bailed pending further evidence and 2 told off IMO is reasonable.
Suggestions that the courts will be full if everyone is arrested for chanting is obviously taking things to the extreme, and misses the point of leading on what is unacceptable.

:roll: