A thought.

I was driving this afternoon past the Mohill Gaelic Games Stadium. It is opened up for people to walk around. The distance of a lap is given and being lit up it allows a safe walking space for for women and indeed everybody away from traffic on dark winter evenings.

I wonder if not Rodney Parade whether Spytty could likewise be utilized. As ever I would be interested in your thoughts.

Re: A thought.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:35 pm I was driving this afternoon past the Mohill Gaelic Games Stadium. It is opened up for people to walk around. The distance of a lap is given and being lit up it allows a safe walking space for for women and indeed everybody away from traffic on dark winter evenings.

I wonder if not Rodney Parade whether Spytty could likewise be utilized. As ever I would be interested in your thoughts.
Agree that Spytty could be utilized albeit constant use with unsuitable footwear could mess up the track (used by 2x athletics clubs to train) - slight point of order and to be fair you corrected yourself, but it’s in fact MEN in particular young men who are FAR more at risk of being a victim of [any category] of crime against a person in the UK/RoI/EU/US/ANZ, etc than women (yes the perpetrators are often/usually men but that doesn’t negate from the facts) - women are, despite the narratives, extremely safe in Wales and we here about the abhorrent and grizzly crimes precisely because they are so rare - of course road traffic accidents are an issue but reflective clothing/strips can help with that.

= Short version - agree your idea is a good one.

CathedralCounty wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:02 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:35 pm I was driving this afternoon past the Mohill Gaelic Games Stadium. It is opened up for people to walk around. The distance of a lap is given and being lit up it allows a safe walking space for for women and indeed everybody away from traffic on dark winter evenings.

Agree that Spytty could be utilized albeit constant use with unsuitable footwear could mess up the track (used by 2x athletics clubs to train) - slight point of order and to be fair you corrected yourself, but it’s in fact MEN in particular young men who are FAR more at risk of being a victim of [any category] of crime against a person in the UK/RoI/EU/US/ANZ, etc than women (yes the perpetrators are often/usually men but that doesn’t negate from the facts) - women are, despite the narratives, extremely safe in Wales and we here about the abhorrent and grizzly crimes precisely because they are so rare - of course road traffic accidents are an issue but reflective clothing/strips can help with that.

= Short version - agree your idea is a good one.
This has been happening for a while at Newport and Cwmbran. It’s not just about violence against women, it is about protecting them from the lewd & sexual comments, wolf whistles, kerb crawlers etc that many women are subjected to when out running alone. Lliswerry Runners do great work in this area. My daughter-in-law had stopped running due to these issues but joined Lliswerry & now runs half and full marathons regularly.

Whilst not trying to diminish the vile attacks on women, the data show that 2.5 times more men are murdered every year in the uk than women. The majority of fatal attacks on women are by people they know and not by strangers. Also three times as many men commit suicide every year.

Blackandamber wrote: November 26th, 2022, 5:27 pm Whilst not trying to diminish the vile attacks on women, the data show that 2.5 times more men are murdered every year in the uk than women. The majority of fatal attacks on women are by people they know and not by strangers. Also three times as many men commit suicide every year.
I think it's important that we don't set off one set of rights against another. To be clear the vast majority of men are kind and decent people. Whilst it is true that two women every week will be killed by partners or former partners, every week 80 men willtake their own lives. But that's not the point.

All lives are valuable. Anything which can reduce harm whether it be to women, children or men is surely worth doing. And creating a space where women will feel and be safe to exercise on dark evenings is surely something a community should be trying to do.

Blackandamber wrote: November 26th, 2022, 5:27 pm Whilst not trying to diminish the vile attacks on women, the data show that 2.5 times more men are murdered every year in the uk than women. The majority of fatal attacks on women are by people they know and not by strangers. Also three times as many men commit suicide every year.
Indeed while women undoubtedly suffer low level shite from mainly men who should know better the real threat is in their immediate circle and as mentioned despite perceptions men are FAR more at risk than women and incidentally when I used to run I got silly/lewd comments from women

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 26th, 2022, 8:19 pm
I think it's important that we don't set off one set of rights against another. To be clear the vast majority of men are kind and decent people. Whilst it is true that two women every week will be killed by partners or former partners, every week 80 men willtake their own lives. But that's not the point.

All lives are valuable. Anything which can reduce harm whether it be to women, children or men is surely worth doing. And creating a space where women will feel and be safe to exercise on dark evenings is surely something a community should be trying to do.
We seem to have shifted the dial to making people (mainly women/minorities) feel safe - totally agree we have a responsibility as a society to ensure they are safe (all statistics show they are) perhaps we should be telling women and girls that in reality the UK is an extremely safe place for them rather than feeding their fears and infantilising them?