[Welsh] Rugby woes

Notwithstanding the [often tongue in cheek] 'anti-egg' sentiment on here - what do people think about the state of Welsh rugby? I went on Saturday and once again Wales lost to a far lower ranked team in Georgia and yet somehow it was not a 'shock' the domestic game is in a parlous state at pro and semi pro level (the 'community' game seems solid albeit stiff competition from football now) - with Wales football doing well and rugby being both a more complex and dangerous game as well as the laughable notion of 'all shapes and sizes' no longer being true even at amateur level (whereas with football provided you can kick a ball some team somewhere will give you a game even if only a Sunday league B in division F or a 6 a side midweek team). On a wider scale Rugby League has led the way with their successful world cup.

I worry for the great god rugby union in Wales – thoughts?...

Re: [Welsh] Rugby woes

CathedralCounty wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:42 am Notwithstanding the [often tongue in cheek] 'anti-egg' sentiment on here - what do people think about the state of Welsh rugby? I went on Saturday and once again Wales lost to a far lower ranked team in Georgia and yet somehow it was not a 'shock' the domestic game is in a parlous state at pro and semi pro level (the 'community' game seems solid albeit stiff competition from football now) - with Wales football doing well and rugby being both a more complex and dangerous game as well as the laughable notion of 'all shapes and sizes' no longer being true even at amateur level (whereas with football provided you can kick a ball some team somewhere will give you a game even if only a Sunday league B in division F or a 6 a side midweek team). On a wider scale Rugby League has led the way with their successful world cup.

I worry for the great god rugby union in Wales – thoughts?...
Can understand your worries for the reasons stated, but a couple of thoughts about the national side to keep it in a little bit of perspective.
Wales have had many notoriously bad Autumn international performances previously, which have then not been reflected in the subsequent Five and Six nations competition.
Very few people seem to want to admit that with a small player pool, especially when compared to England, France SA NZ and now even Ireland at professional our success/failures will be inevitably affected by cyclical availability of players good enough to comprise a successful team. Currently we do not possess enough players good enough to be successful.

I don't fully agree that rugby is no longer a game for 'all shapes and sizes'. It certainly is far more so than soccer, from what I observe at all levels of rugby.