Re: Exiles Grandstand FL Trophy

Nearly home… always good to see County play as I don’t get to that many live games.
Thankfully I served my apprenticeship in the late seventies/eighties so I can take games like this with a pinch of salt.
We just haven’t got any outstanding talent that can get a grip of a game. Probably going to have to rely on set pieces, deflections and goalmouth pin ball for our goals as we don’t create shooting chances.
Hopefully the occasion on Sunday will raise the players to a better performance.

Phil in Northampton

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:58 pm
Blackandamber wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:49 pm Terrible cross by Willmott
In 40 minutes of being on the pitch Wilmott only touched the ball 3 times in open play. It really is like playing with 10 men.
You could of course have replied to my other comment about the great cross from Willmott which led to our goal, but it's easier to be negative about players. I thought he had more than 3 touches from open play, but I haven't counted. There were other players who were on the field for 90 minutes who had very little impact on the result of the game.

Blackandamber wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:18 pm
In 40 minutes of being on the pitch Wilmott only touched the ball 3 times in open play. It really is like playing with 10 men.
You could of course have replied to my other comment about the great cross from Willmott which led to our goal, but it's easier to be negative about players. I thought he had more than 3 touches from open play, but I haven't counted. There were other players who were on the field for 90 minutes who had very little impact on the result of the game.
Unfortunately I don’t recall the good cross, I just see a player who is reluctant to get involved in the more physical aspects of the game, a player who when receiving the ball treats it like a hot potato, and I suspect is now a player that GC will release at the first opportunity.
Sadly a few of the great servants to the Club are coming to the end of their Newport careers, Wilmott is one along with Dolan and perhaps Bennett.

Geoff sadly we have "fans" hell bend on kicking our players at every opportunity

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 6:45 am
Unfortunately I don’t recall the good cross, I just see a player who is reluctant to get involved in the more physical aspects of the game, a player who when receiving the ball treats it like a hot potato, and I suspect is now a player that GC will release at the first opportunity.
Sadly a few of the great servants to the Club are coming to the end of their Newport careers, Wilmott is one along with Dolan and perhaps Bennett.
Have a look at the 2 minutes highlights on iFollow. Willmott crossed the ball from the right touch line. The ball landed exactly between the 6 yard line and the penalty spot. It was right onto Zimba's head. Some how he missed in and the ball went in off a MKD defender who was under pressure from Nevers.

I thought some of our play especially first half was good. The trouble is the final ball is often poor - as for the finishing, the least said the better. Is Bogle really a forward? To me, he looks like a non-striking midfielder. Perhaps he could be converted, he often holds the ball well. We could then pick a real striker, if we only had one!

UPTHEPORT wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 7:01 am
Geoff sadly we have "fans" hell bend on kicking our players at every opportunity
Jim,

This is a message board where people are free to express their opinions about all aspects of Newport County. If people merely wish read the uncritical they are at liberty to buy the programme or read the South Wales Argus.

I think unqualified criticism of players is unwarranted. Roy Race is a tw@t does no good at all. Roy Race lacks pace and positional sense is a legitimate criticism. And what makes it legitimate is that if a reason is given that reason can be challenged.

Likrwise, my criticism of your post is not that you feel that some criticism is unfair, but rather you fail to distinguish between those who are make argument and those who do not.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:13 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 7:01 am
Jim,

This is a message board where people are free to express their opinions about all aspects of Newport County. If people merely wish read the uncritical they are at liberty to buy the programme or read the South Wales Argus.

I think unqualified criticism of players is unwarranted. Roy Race is a tw@t does no good at all. Roy Race lacks pace and positional sense is a legitimate criticism. And what makes it legitimate is that if a reason is given that reason can be challenged.

Likrwise, my criticism of your post is not that you feel that some criticism is unfair, but rather you fail to distinguish between those who are make argument and those who do not.
And I can express my opinion that some posters on here have it in for certain players

Thanks