Re: World cup thread

JonD wrote: November 26th, 2022, 2:35 pm I quite enjoy watching Saudi Arabia. They're a bit all over the shop, a bit divey, but both games have been exciting. Plus their coach is a total love god.
Credit to the Saudis....they never gave up...shame about the mistake that led to second goal.
Thoroughly entertaining match

JonD wrote: November 26th, 2022, 2:35 pm I quite enjoy watching Saudi Arabia. They're a bit all over the shop, a bit divey, but both games have been exciting. Plus their coach is a total love god.
Certainly their high tempo positive approach is in total contrast to what I recall from their previous world cup appearances.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:42 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: November 25th, 2022, 5:43 pm I guess this is what happens when you choose a squad of recent crocks with nil game-time, a bunch of youngsters not in form and the rest made up of lower league players past their prime. It was a tired performance with no-one showing any quality or fight. A clear out needed after Tuesday...
'A clear out?' And bring in who?
Well let's be honest Bale, Ramsay and Allen were all likely to retire at the end of the World Cup anyway. But there are players that have had two run-outs that weren't in form for their clubs prior to the start of the WC. How do expect your team to win if some of the players are having to carry so many of their team-mates?

Marky wrote: November 27th, 2022, 10:32 pm Plenty of complaints about Page and Southgate but if there's one manager really stealing a living it's Roberto Martinez, what a waste of a "golden generation".
Yes, I think a lot have held back criticism of Page due to the achievement of actually qualifying. With the team Belgium have, a WC semi-final had to be the minimum requirement.

excessbee wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:12 am They are an ageing side and that, in combination with the four day turnaround in matches and no real break from the league programme has taken its toll.
Unfortunately, that is a statistic that gets churned out by the press on a regular basis. I agree that with their players they should have done more but it is not due to the squads age.

Of the current 23 outfield players in their squad, only eight are aged thirty or over. Of those eight, four of them are only either 30 or 31. They are still in their prime and it includes the superb Kevin de Bruyne who is 31. Mind you, he looks about 12.

pembsexile wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:27 am
excessbee wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:12 am They are an ageing side and that, in combination with the four day turnaround in matches and no real break from the league programme has taken its toll.
Unfortunately, that is a statistic that gets churned out by the press on a regular basis. I agree that with their players they should have done more but it is not due to the squads age.

Of the current 23 outfield players in their squad, only eight are aged thirty or over. Of those eight, four of them are only either 30 or 31. They are still in their prime and it includes the superb Kevin de Bruyne who is 31. Mind you, he looks about 12.
I guess that depends on how many ovf the 30+ players are in their regular starting eleven. If that's five or six then the team may be, by comparison, a bit long in the tooth.