Re: World cup thread

Fair play to Iran they played with more intensity and street credibility than Wales and deserved their win.
It could of been more, if not for the woodwork.
Iran counter attacked on the break much quicker than Wales.
Bale and Ramsey nowhere to be seen.
Yesterday's men I sorry to say.
The least said about Hennessy's dismissal the better.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:35 pm
Marky wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:22 pm
Anto wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:10 pm Time for Bale and ramsey to depart
And take Page with them.
I think that's a ridiculous comment about someone that's done remarkable well to take a team who is in world terms a very limited side, to the World Cup finals.
He's a very limited manager who got an incredibly lucky draw, if you're not going to be sentimental with the players you can't be with the manager.

Percy plunkett wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:04 pm The fact is folks,we haven’t enough quality in the squad.Bale and Ramsay at the back end of their careers,PL players in the team but,average ones mostly then,Championship,L1 and L2 players to make up the squad.Page can only work with what he has got.

Iran have hardly got players playing for the likes of Man City, Bayern or Madrid

I think it was one tournament too far for some of our players. I’d like to see the ‘running’ stats. Iran seemed to do far more running than us. They were fitter as well. The older players have been great servants to the team but I think it is time for a changing of the guard. That’s life.

The team gave the supporters what they always dreampt of...a world cup.
For a while we have had a few genuine world class players who dragged the rest of the team with them to perform above their individual capabilities.
Sadly I think Wales will be in the international doldrums for a few years until a new cohort of talented players begin to emerge.
The current team should be thanked for giving us some great times but I think those times are now behind us for a while ( I would be very happy to be proved wrong though).

Marky wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:44 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:35 pm
Marky wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:22 pm
Anto wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:10 pm Time for Bale and ramsey to depart
And take Page with them.
I think that's a ridiculous comment about someone that's done remarkable well to take a team who is in world terms a very limited side, to the World Cup finals.
He's a very limited manager who got an incredibly lucky draw, if you're not going to be sentimental with the players you can't be with the manager.
I find it a very sad indictment of very many football supporters who appear to instinctively call for managers to go when they have a team of relative limited ability compared with the opposition.

Percy plunkett wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:04 pm The fact is folks,we haven’t enough quality in the squad.Bale and Ramsay at the back end of their careers,PL players in the team but,average ones mostly then,Championship,L1 and L2 players to make up the squad.Page can only work with what he has got.
In sync with those sentiments. Hopefully Ramsey is still young enough to make positive contributions in the next few years, despite of his very poor performance today.

Exile 1976 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Iran have hardly got players playing for the likes of Man City, Bayern or Madrid
How about Porto and the other Bayern,our two play for Bournemouth and Forest.Dest for USA plays for Milan,on loan from Barcelona,ours plays for Burnley,there’s the difference.

Percy plunkett wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:34 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:17 pm

How about Porto and the other Bayern,our two play for Bournemouth and Forest.Dest for USA plays for Milan,on loan from Barcelona,ours plays for Burnley,there’s the difference.

Nonsense.
Wow, Porto. It’s Bayer, not Bayern the other one plays for, striker with 0 goals this season. Excellent.
Not counting that Ben Davies plays for Spurs? Or Dan James at Fulham? No real difference in quality between Iran & Wales, if anything, the Welsh squad on the whole play at a higher level than the Iranian squad.
Saudi Arabia beat Argentina with a squad nowhere near the quality of them. The difference is they showed up and played, Wales didn’t, Page got it wrong in both games and our big players ‘didn’t show up’ simple as that.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on November 26th, 2022, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

allontheamber wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:41 pm The team gave the supporters what they always dreampt of...a world cup.
For a while we have had a few genuine world class players who dragged the rest of the team with them to perform above their individual capabilities.
Sadly I think Wales will be in the international doldrums for a few years until a new cohort of talented players begin to emerge.
The current team should be thanked for giving us some great times but I think those times are now behind us for a while ( I would be very happy to be proved wrong though).
Accurate summation in my view.
Irrespective of which club teams the individuals play for, today I watched an Iran team who had players whose overall accuracy of pass and first touch was superior to anyone in the Welsh team, with the possible exception of Davies. Whilst Ramsey and Bale have been able to demonstrate that they have able to match those qualities on many occasions in the past, unfortunately in Wales last 2 games they have arguably been the teams poorest performers, (although Hennesey gave them stiff competition today). Due to this we look incapable of beating anyone, leastways certainly not in this competition.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on November 25th, 2022, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.