Re: Yma o hyd

The social media reaction has been overwhelmingly, almost universally, positive. Particularly interesting to see so many fans who aren't Welsh speakers pledging to learn the words before Saturday to make it a real occasion. Wonderful to see.

"Llifed dagrau'r gwangalon;
A llyfed y taeog y llawr.
Er dued yw'r fagddu o'n cwmpas,
Ry'n ni'n barod am doriad y wawr!
"

"Let the faint-hearted keep on wailing;
Let the serfs all grovel and fawn.
In spite of the darkness around us,
We're ready to greet a new dawn."

CathedralCounty wrote: November 16th, 2022, 9:23 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: November 16th, 2022, 6:12 pm A shame that the anti Welsh language lot on this thread will presumably be boycotting Saturday's game in light of today's announcement, but exciting news for the rest of us. Well done to those at the club who made this happen.
Dafydd Iwan will be joining us at Rodney Parade and will be singing ‘Yma o Hyd’ prior to kick-off on Saturday at our fixture with Gillingham.

Newport County are delighted to be a part of this fantastic opportunity as this is the only fixture that Dafydd will be performing at prior to the World Cup when it commences on Sunday 20th November. Dafydd’s ‘Yma o Hyd’ has been remastered from its original tapes and has been mixed with the famous voices produced by the ‘red wall’. This has become the official anthem for Cymru’s appearance at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Yma o Hyd has become a national slogan and now the song which gave meaning to it is the official anthem of the Cymru National Team for the World Cup,” explained Dafydd Iwan about the remastered version of the anthem. “It’s an impossible dream come true and the incredible sound of The Red Wall on this track is exciting and inspiring to hear, no other nation will have anything like this to inspire their team on the grandest stage of them all. So c’mon Cymru, let us tell the world that we are here.
Nobody on here is “anti” the Welsh language! But it is rather embarrassing that the club is jumping on the bandwagon but hey ho might garner some much needed attention. As for me I’ll be at the principality stadium supporting would you believe it…Wales because like the 70% of other non Welsh speakers in this land of ours I consider myself very much to be…Welsh

So you'd rather go to a friendly egg chasing game than support your club to me that sums up 90 % of egg fans

Suppose you'll be wearing a pink cowboy hat as well 🙄

Kairdiff Exile wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:04 am The social media reaction has been overwhelmingly, almost universally, positive. Particularly interesting to see so many fans who aren't Welsh speakers pledging to learn the words before Saturday to make it a real occasion. Wonderful to see.

"

"Serfs all grovel and fawn" :shock:
Bloody hell! This is 2022 f.f.s.
If I do make it to Rodney Parade I'll do a banner ...."I'm not a serf"

Jim, I didn't see Cathedral County's post (I've got him muted) but I saw your response and the quote. If he wants to go to the egg then that's his prerogative - we can all be County fans without having to attend every single game. I'll be missing the Derby match as I've committed to watch a non-league game with a friend that day. We've all got interests and social groups beyond NCAFC, and it doesn't make people lesser fans. As for his scepticism regarding Welsh, it may well be masking a trepidation or lack of confidence about learning a new language, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

mad norm wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:29 am
Kairdiff Exile wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:04 am The social media reaction has been overwhelmingly, almost universally, positive. Particularly interesting to see so many fans who aren't Welsh speakers pledging to learn the words before Saturday to make it a real occasion. Wonderful to see.

"

Norm, point of clarity needed here. Yma o Hyd is not an anti English song. It is a song in defence of the Welsh language. You have to understand part of the history of the language to understand the problem.

Not so very long ago lots of teachers in Wales wanted to teach in English only. There was a policy (not government led) called Welsh not (knot) where if as a kid you spoke Welsh in class, you had a piece of wood hung around your neck for a day to punish you. This is in your own country. It was a feeble attempt to get everyone speaking English. Thank f*** it failed.

Fast forward over a hundred years. Welsh language promoters went to Prison to try and get Welsh recognised as an official language in their own country. Thank goodness they succeeded. It wasn’t so very long ago. Yma o hyd was written by Dafydd Iwan at around this time in defence of the language.

All I am saying Norm is get the translation in English and try and understand the context in which it was written.

UPTHEPORT wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:21 am
Kairdiff Exile wrote: November 16th, 2022, 6:12 pm A shame that the anti Welsh language lot on this thread will presumably be boycotting Saturday's game in light of today's announcement, but exciting news for the rest of us. Well done to those at the club who made this happen.
Dafydd Iwan will be joining us at Rodney Parade and will be singing ‘Yma o Hyd’ prior to kick-off on Saturday at our fixture with Gillingham.

Newport County are delighted to be a part of this fantastic opportunity as this is the only fixture that Dafydd will be performing at prior to the World Cup when it commences on Sunday 20th November. Dafydd’s ‘Yma o Hyd’ has been remastered from its original tapes and has been mixed with the famous voices produced by the ‘red wall’. This has become the official anthem for Cymru’s appearance at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Yma o Hyd has become a national slogan and now the song which gave meaning to it is the official anthem of the Cymru National Team for the World Cup,” explained Dafydd Iwan about the remastered version of the anthem. “It’s an impossible dream come true and the incredible sound of The Red Wall on this track is exciting and inspiring to hear, no other nation will have anything like this to inspire their team on the grandest stage of them all. So c’mon Cymru, let us tell the world that we are here.
Nobody on here is “anti” the Welsh language! But it is rather embarrassing that the club is jumping on the bandwagon but hey ho might garner some much needed attention. As for me I’ll be at the principality stadium supporting would you believe it…Wales because like the 70% of other non Welsh speakers in this land of ours I consider myself very much to be…Welsh

So you'd rather go to a friendly egg chasing game than support your club to me that sums up 90 % of egg fans

Do you mean this one? I think I carry it off very well.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 17th, 2022, 11:52 am

Do you mean this one? I think I carry it off very well.
Fair play it does suit you sir 😂

love it! I'm a fan of both codes have been and will be going around the world supporting Wales rugby Japan & France world cup, etc - I might just about manage to wear red but certainly no pink cowboy hat! Have also supported Newport County (and AFC as was) through thick and mainly thin as well.

pembsexile wrote: November 17th, 2022, 11:52 am
mad norm wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:29 am

"

Norm, point of clarity needed here. Yma o Hyd is not an anti English song. It is a song in defence of the Welsh language. You have to understand part of the history of the language to understand the problem.

Not so very long ago lots of teachers in Wales wanted to teach in English only. There was a policy (not government led) called Welsh not (knot) where if as a kid you spoke Welsh in class, you had a piece of wood hung around your neck for a day to punish you. This is in your own country. It was a feeble attempt to get everyone speaking English. Thank f*** it failed.

Fast forward over a hundred years. Welsh language promoters went to Prison to try and get Welsh recognised as an official language in their own country. Thank goodness they succeeded. It wasn’t so very long ago. Yma o hyd was written by Dafydd Iwan at around this time in defence of the language.

All I am saying Norm is get the translation in English and try and understand the context in which it was written.

Dear O.C.
I have massive respect for the Welsh culture and history ...the promotion of the Welsh language is to be admired and respected.
Please take some of my comments a little more light heartedly.
P.S.do you know any Welsh speaking footballers who can score fecking goals? :grin:
Regards ..the Mad one :cheers:

Kairdiff Exile wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:30 am Jim, I didn't see Cathedral County's post (I've got him muted) but I saw your response and the quote. If he wants to go to the egg then that's his prerogative - we can all be County fans without having to attend every single game. I'll be missing the Derby match as I've committed to watch a non-league game with a friend that day. We've all got interests and social groups beyond NCAFC, and it doesn't make people lesser fans. As for his scepticism regarding Welsh, it may well be masking a trepidation or lack of confidence about learning a new language, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Good point on the other commitments I, like many others, see Newport County as part of but not the only thing in - my life.

On Welsh I just feel the Welsh language lobby holds far too much sway relative to the number of Welsh speakers and the global unimportance of it that DOESN’T mean I’m anti the language of Welsh. I do speak and did make the effort to learn a 2nd language just not Welsh which for me simply would not be used in my daily life whereas the 2nd language I do [badly attempt to] speak I use every day, nothing sinister or anti Welsh just my world and how I personally live in my part of Wales.