Complaining about BOD & Sporting Director

All I've seen today is complaints about the above and rightly so considering current results and performances but it makes me wonder one thing why doesn't anyone do anything about it?
As pointed out on a regular basis Newport County AFC is a fan owned club and as such follows MODEL RULES FOR A COMMUNITY OWNED SPORTS CLUB which is where your power is.

Model rule:
33. The Board of Directors upon an application by not less than 20 members or 5% of the membership, whichever is the greater, delivered to the Club’s registered office, shall convene a general meeting. The purpose of the special general meeting shall be stated in the application and notice of the meeting. No business other than that stated in the notice of the meeting shall be conducted at the meeting.

Nobody is above reproach, you don't have to wait for terms to end, you can tell the board your not happy with something and want it changed you just need to follow the rules they set out.
If you feel strongly about removing more people from the club get a list of members names that feel the same way and call a special general meeting for the purpose of a vote of no confidence in whoever or for positions at the club you want to be removed eg Sporting director, or both.

Just remember the board roles aren't paid and if you do remove them who will replace them I believe no one stood against them last time you could have.

Re: Complaining about BOD & Sporting Director

UPTHEPORT wrote: October 16th, 2022, 7:55 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 16th, 2022, 7:53 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: October 16th, 2022, 5:36 am Yep returned unopposed that tells me people are happy with the board
Not necessarily, could be inertia because of all the perceived, or actual, barriers to becoming an elected candidate.
What's the barriers
Having to actually put time and effort in to do something rather than taking a few seconds to be a largely anonymous keyboard warrior, is one obvious barrier.

UPTHEPORT wrote: October 16th, 2022, 5:36 am Yep returned unopposed that tells me people are happy with the board
Not necessarily, could be inertia because of all the perceived, or actual, barriers to becoming an elected candidate.
Agreed-and the time and effort and [perceived or otherwise] obligation to put ones hands in pockets as well as not wanting to be a figure of hate…lots of barriers-the utopian ideal of a fan run club is if anything a dystopia.

Very few “normal” people in full time work could commit to it I struggled when I did a short committee stint for a small local organisation it’s hard and very stressful.

What's the barriers
Perhaps you can explain how anyone can get directly elected to the Football Board because it seems to me that there is no direct route. As I understand it the elections are to the Trust, and after that it’s anybodies guess. Or have I got that wrong?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: October 16th, 2022, 8:40 am
What's the barriers
Having to actually put time and effort in to do something rather than taking a few seconds to be a largely anonymous keyboard warrior, is one obvious barrier.
The two are not mutually exclusive though-we’re not talking about a teenager who moans about parents poor efforts at cooking vegan food - they could have a crack themselves BUT few people are equipped with the time, skills, energy & frankly cojones to do the job as a County board member. We are rightly allowed to complain about the efforts of political leaders but may not wish or be in a position to seek election ourselves.

Problem you have is there are 2 boards and who ever wants to go on the board would be on the board that don't have a say. You can have ideas and an opinion but won't be heard without the chairman's approval, We are a fan owned club without a voice! Our club is all wrong even some directors don't know what's going on till it appears on social media. We have made millions and our infrastructure is piss poor ,imo the model needs to change we have people making decisions with other people's money and would they be making these decisions if it was there own money. I actually fear for our football status all the millions we have made over the years and still nothing to show for it surly we should at least have our own training facilities ? Rewind 4 years ago our directors SJ KW MC saying this club can not survive on cup money and trust members we need investment. We voted on a hybrid model and that's been pushed aside because that would mean others would have a massive say because they would be investing and rightly so. Maybe when the well runs dry we might revisit it again

Being in voluntary positions should not preclude scrutiny.

Arguably, they hold positions of great responsibility with wide ranging consequence that should draw extra scrutiny...

I've long observed a fan-owned club run like a private endeavour for quite some time now...

Hell, the club is even pointedly hostile towards the 1912 Exiles Podcast for no given reason.... some fan-owned club eh?

Blathering "YOU STEP UP 'EN" is not constructive and potentially blinkedly dangerous.

owlsabout wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:22 am Problem you have is there are 2 boards and who ever wants to go on the board would be on the board that don't have a say. You can have ideas and an opinion but won't be heard without the chairman's approval, We are a fan owned club without a voice! Our club is all wrong even some directors don't know what's going on till it appears on social media. We have made millions and our infrastructure is piss poor ,imo the model needs to change we have people making decisions with other people's money and would they be making these decisions if it was there own money. I actually fear for our football status all the millions we have made over the years and still nothing to show for it surly we should at least have our own training facilities ? Rewind 4 years ago our directors SJ KW MC saying this club can not survive on cup money and trust members we need investment. We voted on a hybrid model and that's been pushed aside because that would mean others would have a massive say because they would be investing and rightly so. Maybe when the well runs dry we might revisit it again
Massive queues of investers in football in Newport, all wishing to be on the board.

And as for infrastructure, business is not interested in owning something that is impossible to sell quickly, a financial millstone, dragging business down with it. At one time a business mortgage could be used against tax liability, those days have long gone.

Jack wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:27 am Blathering "YOU STEP UP 'EN" is not constructive and potentially blinkedly dangerous.
You’re quite right that more is needed. But, having been to quite a few Trust meetings over the years, I’m shocked at how apathetic the membership is. Turnout is low, scrutiny / questions at meetings even lower.

I’m more charitable towards the current Board than you, Jack, but I think we’d both agree that fans would be better served by a plethora of candidates coming forward for Trust elections. Uncontested elections for anything are a Bad Thing, even if the people elected de facto are capable. As I said above, we need a battle of ideas from multiple candidates with different backgrounds and experiences.

I suppose the real question therefore is how do we make that happen?

Jack wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:27 am Being in voluntary positions should not preclude scrutiny.

Arguably, they hold positions of great responsibility with wide ranging consequence that should draw extra scrutiny...

I've long observed a fan-owned club run like a private endeavour for quite some time now...

Hell, the club is even pointedly hostile towards the 1912 Exiles Podcast for no given reason.... some fan-owned club eh?

Blathering "YOU STEP UP 'EN" is not constructive and potentially blinkedly dangerous.
Agreed. And there should surely be some middle ground: It shouldn’t just be a case of you either stand for election yourself, or you put up and shut up.

(E: I don’t have any particular issue with the current board by the way, for what it’s worth. It’s just a general comment on the ownership structure)
Last edited by halfmoon on October 16th, 2022, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:41 am
owlsabout wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:22 am Problem you have is there are 2 boards and who ever wants to go on the board would be on the board that don't have a say. You can have ideas and an opinion but won't be heard without the chairman's approval, We are a fan owned club without a voice! Our club is all wrong even some directors don't know what's going on till it appears on social media. We have made millions and our infrastructure is piss poor ,imo the model needs to change we have people making decisions with other people's money and would they be making these decisions if it was there own money. I actually fear for our football status all the millions we have made over the years and still nothing to show for it surly we should at least have our own training facilities ? Rewind 4 years ago our directors SJ KW MC saying this club can not survive on cup money and trust members we need investment. We voted on a hybrid model and that's been pushed aside because that would mean others would have a massive say because they would be investing and rightly so. Maybe when the well runs dry we might revisit it again
Massive queues of investers in football in Newport, all wishing to be on the board.

And as for infrastructure, business is not interested in owning something that is impossible to sell quickly, a financial millstone, dragging business down with it. At one time a business mortgage could be used against tax liability, those days have long gone.
There were no animals till noah built the ark ! A