Re: What would James Alexander Gordon say?

Blackandamber wrote: August 8th, 2022, 12:41 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62397375

The end of an era!
Flipping BBC is becoming a joke

We all pay good hard earned cash for these bunch of WOKES to mess with OUR Broadcasting Company

Programmes that have been unchanged for years are being scrapped or moved on line whilst they continue to waste money on minority issues to please the minority and the yoghurt knitters.
Some of the BBC programmes are WORLD CLASS but its getting harder to justify continuing to pay the licence fee for the majority of the trash they show on it.
Remember the days of Swap Shop , Grandstand ( including the football scores) , Noels House Party that many grew up with ? Now we have Rue Paul , Bargain Hunt, Garden Rescue and other trash quiz shows they can get on the cheap whilst still paying some staff ridiculous wages per year.
Cant afford CBeebies on mainstream TV for the kids but can pay Graham Norton a million pounds plus per year to host his crap show and Eurovision ???? ....

The BBC!

When I was young (I am now in my eighties) the BBC was respected throughout the world as the leading broadcasting organization- impartial, accurate and informative.

Now what has happened? It is a complete disaster.
The main philosophy is to : "woke...woker...wokest"!
If you are in any of the following classes as a broadcaster you should look for a new career as the BBC will do their best to get rid of you;
(a) Anyone older than fifty
(b) Anyone who is male
(c) Anyone who has the misfortune to be white, Asiatic or from the Indian Sub-continent rather than black.

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 8th, 2022, 4:16 pm What has Woke got to do with the football results 🤣

I understand the BBC reasoning they now have the 5-30 kick off rights taken off talksport

But there's nothing like conspiracy theories
I do understand their thinking but the flaw in that thinking is they presume people would rather hear the inane interviews with Managers and Players rather than the classified results. Think they have that wrong.

Ugo. wrote: August 8th, 2022, 6:25 pm
UPTHEPORT wrote: August 8th, 2022, 4:16 pm What has Woke got to do with the football results 🤣

I understand the BBC reasoning they now have the 5-30 kick off rights taken off talksport

I do understand their thinking but the flaw in that thinking is they presume people would rather hear the inane interviews with Managers and Players rather than the classified results. Think they have that wrong.
Thing is since I've got a smart phone and I expect others too you can see the full time results pretty much straight away so I suspect they don't have a massive audience these days

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 8th, 2022, 6:30 pm
Ugo. wrote: August 8th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Thing is since I've got a smart phone and I expect others too you can see the full time results pretty much straight away so I suspect they don't have a massive audience these days
True but not sure how that changes the argument, for instance I only listen if I'm driving but I would like to hear the full classified results instead of inane interviews, but the media interview anything that moves these days.

UpThePort nailing it as always. I quite like the reassuring voice of Charlotte Green reading out the classifieds, but it belongs in another age. Most people know the scores of all the other teams via their smartphone before they’ve even got up from their seat at the game. In fact, most of the people around me in the Hazells seem to spend more time tracking other scores on their ‘phones than watching the game they’ve paid to see! But hey, that’s progress and the media need to keep pace with what people want.

Complaining that the decision is somehow ‘just another example of the BBC’s woke political agenda in action‘ is frankly laughable, and I can’t understand the mental gymnastics required to make the argument work.

“First they mothballed Ceefax. Then they cancelled the videprinter. Now you can't even read out the results from the top four divisions without a non-binary saying you've breached their human rights.“

Give me strength.

Kairdiff Exile wrote: August 8th, 2022, 6:46 pm UpThePort nailing it as always. I quite like the reassuring voice of Charlotte Green reading out the classifieds, but it belongs in another age. Most people know the scores of all the other teams via their smartphone before they’ve even got up from their seat at the game. In fact, most of the people around me in the Hazells seem to spend more time tracking other scores on their ‘phones than watching the game they’ve paid to see! But hey, that’s progress and the media need to keep pace with what people want.

Complaining that the decision is somehow ‘just another example of the BBC’s woke political agenda in action‘ is frankly laughable, and I can’t understand the mental gymnastics required to make the argument work.

“First they mothballed Ceefax. Then they cancelled the videprinter. Now you can't even read out the results from the top four divisions without a non-binary saying you've breached their human rights.“

Give me strength.

:bounce:

Good Evening!

Aahhh! A trip down memory lane! Folk of a certain age will recall similar scenarios to this, when we were kids ( 1960-70’s) Five o clock on a Saturday evening was a sacred time. Dad would be sat in his chair, pen at the ready, newspaper folded in half. Mum would start “shushing “ us from about ten to.
The familiar music and a hush descended, but it wasn’t long before we started calling out the score for the away team, guessing from the intonation. Then we would have Mum shushing us again. If we persisted Dad would say nothing but he would produce a shortened garden cane out from “his corner” and lean it against the fireplace without even looking up from his paper. This had more effect than a thousand motherly shushes!
It seemed to go on for ever to us kids waiting to be able to breathe again. We knew when we heard Hamilton Academicals that it was nearly over. Dad then got out these sheets of paper with lots of little squares on and meticulously cross checked his written results from his newspaper with little crosses in the boxes.
“We might win the jackpot !” Mum used to say. I assume we never did.
However I recall the excitement occasionally when he was waiting for a late kick off,(probably the County kicking off at 3.15!)

The music always gives me goosebumps and brings back memories of a simpler life, in football and the world in general.

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: August 8th, 2022, 9:43 pm Good Evening!

Aahhh! A trip down memory lane! Folk of a certain age will recall similar scenarios to this, when we were kids ( 1960-70’s) Five o clock on a Saturday evening was a sacred time. Dad would be sat in his chair, pen at the ready, newspaper folded in half. Mum would start “shushing “ us from about ten to.
The familiar music and a hush descended, but it wasn’t long before we started calling out the score for the away team, guessing from the intonation. Then we would have Mum shushing us again. If we persisted Dad would say nothing but he would produce a shortened garden cane out from “his corner” and lean it against the fireplace without even looking up from his paper. This had more effect than a thousand motherly shushes!
It seemed to go on for ever to us kids waiting to be able to breathe again. We knew when we heard Hamilton Academicals that it was nearly over. Dad then got out these sheets of paper with lots of little squares on and meticulously cross checked his written results from his newspaper with little crosses in the boxes.
However I recall the excitement occasionally when he was waiting for a late kick off,(probably the County kicking off at 3.15!)

The music always gives me goosebumps and brings back memories of a simpler life, in football and the world in general.

Phil in Northampton
Happy days indeed Phil. Yet another brick in the wall being removed from the world I grew up in. Thankfully the County brick was put back into the wall.

So many memories from Saturday afternoons in the Fifties!
Things would begin to hot up from 3.45pm on the Light Programme when Newportonian Raymond Glendenning would deliver his plummy commentary on the second half of one of the day's league matches. Then first reports from around the grounds would lead onto that signature tune and the sacred reading of the results. I would do the pools with my father (who didn't even like Association football). One week on a low draw day (6), we nailed 4, but still only won 5&6d.
For me it didn't end there as the highlight was seeing the league tables. For that I had to secure a pink edition (tempting fate there!), which usually arrived at a quarter to six at the newsagents up the road. I still bear the scar on my knee of one over enthusiastic trip.
I think the anti woke brigade could simply spare their blood pressure by diverting their eyes from the tabloid press, which add nothing to serious conversation.

North London Exile wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:18 pm So many memories from Saturday afternoons in the Fifties!
Things would begin to hot up from 3.45pm on the Light Programme when Newportonian Raymond Glendenning would deliver his plummy commentary on the second half of one of the day's league matches. Then first reports from around the grounds would lead onto that signature tune and the sacred reading of the results. I would do the pools with my father (who didn't even like Association football). One week on a low draw day (6), we nailed 4, but still only won 5&6d.
For me it didn't end there as the highlight was seeing the league tables. For that I had to secure a pink edition (tempting fate there!), which usually arrived at a quarter to six at the newsagents up the road. I still bear the scar on my knee of one over enthusiastic trip.
I think the anti woke brigade could simply spare their blood pressure by diverting their eyes from the tabloid press, which add nothing to serious conversation.
Indeed I'm very skeptical about 'woke' but some people have gone too far - yes the BBC tries a little too hard to be 'woke' (amusing to see how it ties itself in knots sometimes shoehorning every diversity group into programs with the exception of course of a white male – surprised Huw Edwards has survived this long!) but it has some solid output and sports coverage, perhaps with the exception of the over propagandist women's Euro’s coverage, is both very good and extensive – put it this way I wouldn’t trust ITV with Wimbledon or a major multi-sport event – it also has some good factual and drama output and its ‘easy watching’ dramas like ‘Father Brown’ are very well made and a good watch for a non-gruesome and nostalgic 45 minutes (I’m not the target audience for them but have got into habit of watching the repeats on ‘Drama’) and of course the much loved and well made 'Call the midwife' - its also does local news/politics a lot better than ITV and has some great radio & podcasts.

I’d give the ‘Beeb’ a C+ overall – with the better dramas of recent vintage being on ITV/other.

phil_in_npton wrote: August 8th, 2022, 9:43 pm Good Evening!

Phil in Northampton
Spot on there Phil.
Can you also remember those cardboard football league ladders?
Where you used to manually insert the little cardboard team tag into the league position place.
Quite often had to wait until Sunday for the newspaper to find out the positions of the lower league teams.
No internet to refer to back in the day.
I can remember by brother and I lying in the carpet and religiously amending the tables, and woe betide either of us who dropped it and the tags fell out and had to start all over again.
Good memories.
Last edited by Fu Ming on August 9th, 2022, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.