Re: Anymore coming in?

Percy plunkett wrote: August 19th, 2022, 11:21 pm Why play Stokes when there is Zimba .Can’t understand how Zanzala is out for 10 weeks,he jumped the advertising board pretty quick on Tuesday,looked pretty fit to me.
I suppose it’s different doing that to sprinting at full tilt but as you say 10 weeks is a long time implying a serious tear : shouldn’t be leaping around.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: August 19th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Ugo. wrote: August 19th, 2022, 5:49 pm Zanzala out for 10 weeks.
Time to use Collins consistently or an academy striker.
Doubt any academy striker is ready or good enough to compete in L2. - if they were they would be in team too many people think our academy is filled with stars of tomorrow very very few will ever make it.

County ranger wrote: August 20th, 2022, 12:56 pm
Doubt any academy striker is ready or good enough to compete in L2. - if they were they would be in team too many people think our academy is filled with stars of tomorrow very very few will ever make it.
Well they'll never make if they don't get any further than warming the bench a couple of times a season. Put them on the bench in League cup games and give them 20 minutes to see how they do.

wattsville_boy wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 3:40 pm
County ranger wrote: August 20th, 2022, 12:56 pm
Well they'll never make if they don't get any further than warming the bench a couple of times a season. Put them on the bench in League cup games and give them 20 minutes to see how they do.
What is the point if they are not good enough - take a reality pill - have a look at the Palace academy documentary on C4 and you will see how rare academy players make it. I rest easy that the experience and training our management team has and has had over the years are far better judges than the keyboard managers. Surprise me with a list of academy players released who have made a living from football - hopefully Jeffries will but early days there will he be a regular for Gillingham?

My point was that if you don't try them at a higher level then you don't know whether they can play at a higher level. I think County Academy should be producing some talent for the first team and the club need to be urging the Manager to play them where appropriate. If the Academy are not producing the talent then they either need a new broom at the Academy or perhaps they need to shut it and use the money for it to buy in young talent for the team.

wattsville_boy wrote: August 27th, 2022, 4:14 pm My point was that if you don't try them at a higher level then you don't know whether they can play at a higher level. I think County Academy should be producing some talent for the first team and the club need to be urging the Manager to play them where appropriate. If the Academy are not producing the talent then they either need a new broom at the Academy or perhaps they need to shut it and use the money for it to buy in young talent for the team.
I think the coaches have a very good idea if they can make it. There was little delay in playing Lee Evans, Ryan Poole and both Collins brothers so if good enough I think they do get played. I agree with you that the academy should have a cost v benefit review against the alternative of increasing the first team budget.
Livermore, Woodiwiss and Bright have all had an opportunity but not seen to date in latter cases as up to it, Livermore is not going to make it hence his release. So, I don’t think there is a need to persuade management we just need better talent as if they were good enough they would play.

Does anyone feel we’d benefit from adding a traditional winger to the squad? If so, Oxford say they’re ready to loan out new signing Jodi Jones so he can get match fit.

He played 75mins in all pre-season games and did enough to earn a contract but it seems they’re not prepared to play him in Lge1 until he gets some competitive games under his belt.