Re: County set to sign Sam Bowen (Argus)

I don't know if Jarrod Bowen's father ever played for Swansea but if he so he can't have been local or surely Wales would have wanted Jarrod. Sam played for Westfields in Hereford and scored absolute shedloads alongside Paul Burton who we then paid a rare fee for. it was something like 40 each in the same season but it must have been a weak league.

Burton didn't have bad stats but it counted against him that he looked a bit puny. Bowen went to Merthyr and did well and later played a few games for us. He was built like the proverbial brick shithouse and a real handful. People used to joke that we got the wrong one, like when AC Milan supposedly signed Luther Blissett from Watford when they really wanted John Barnes.

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 15th, 2022, 4:50 pm I don't know if Jarrod Bowen's father ever played for Swansea but if he so he can't have been local or surely Wales would have wanted Jarrod. Sam played for Westfields in Hereford and scored absolute shedloads alongside Paul Burton who we then paid a rare fee for. it was something like 40 each in the same season but it must have been a weak league.

Burton didn't have bad stats but it counted against him that he looked a bit puny. Bowen went to Merthyr and did well and later played a few games for us. He was built like the proverbial brick shithouse and a real handful. People used to joke that we got the wrong one, like when AC Milan supposedly signed Luther Blissett from Watford when they really wanted John Barnes.
I often wonder did Flynny want Marvin Ekpiteta instead of Marvel.

Burton's stats with us were a more than respectable 16 goals in 33 + 23 games in all competitions but my recollection is he was a poacher who didn't create chances for others. Bowen scored five in 13 + 2 but eight seasons later when he was past his best.

Obviously non-league transfers more than 25 years ago are ancient history, but even if they only scored for fun in the Midland Combination or some such you can't help wondering what they might have done if we could have signed them as a pair.

most players and agents are on holiday for a few weeks after the season finishes........For it to be ' leaked so openly ' I would hazard an educated guess that its a 'done deal' apart from crossing the 't's' and dotting the i's
The player is still under contract by Cardiff and will still be paid by them until the end of June ( as per his contract ) so probably wont be ' official until his contract ends/ is terminated / paid off'