Re: C'mon Dagenham!

daftasfxxx wrote: May 13th, 2022, 6:05 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 13th, 2022, 3:38 pm
pembsexile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:53 am I have said this before but if we do play the Gogs it will not be a derby game. North v South yes, but a derby game, no. Nobody would consider it a derby game if Crewe played Swindon or Shrewsbury played Brizzle RVs. Similar geographic distance, but not a derby.
Hi Mike and greetings from a warm and humid Ireland.

I am afraid that you are wrong. I only know this courtesy of dictionary corner and the absolutely gorgeous Susie Dent.

A derby is a big match. From which we get local derby. And many people think, as I did, that the local was superfluous. It isn't. Although to be accurate and not repeat the error, Newport v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby.
Same as Carlisle verses Exeter should be termed as an English derby
Not quite. It has to be a notable game. Two Welsh teams meeting in the English league is notable two English clubs less so.

pembsexile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 8:39 pm
pembsexile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:53 am I have said this before but if we do play the Gogs it will not be a derby game. North v South yes, but a derby game, no. Nobody would consider it a derby game if Crewe played Swindon or Shrewsbury played Brizzle RVs. Similar geographic distance, but not a derby.

I am afraid that you are wrong. I only know this courtesy of dictionary corner and the absolutely gorgeous Susie Dent.

A derby is a big match. From which we get local derby. And many people think, as I did, that the local was superfluous. It isn't. Although to be accurate and not repeat the error, Newport v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby.
Evening Brendan. Greetings from sunny Pembrokeshire.

Interesting thread this. I like the comments about other potential derby rivalries. Hull v Grimsby, the fish head (cod) derby? Anyway, enough nonsense.

I suspect that I may be on dodgy ground if I disagree with the superb wordsmith Susie Dent. However. In context, regards to football, the word derby is normally used to refer to local football rivalries. I would question whether it is superfluous. Is this what Ms Dent intended?

I would disagree with you that County v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby. It is certainly not local. Geography defines this game. Geography and the politics within Wales of North v South. It is a game between two Welsh teams over 100 miles apart. Sort of loses any minor glamorous inference when put like that. That is fine by me.

You never know, the superb Ms Dent may have a view. Don’t even know if she is a footie fan though.
Sorry Mike but don't you dare disagree with the lovely Susie. Not that I've had a crush on her for the last 25 years or anything. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 14th, 2022, 12:19 am

Interesting thread this. I like the comments about other potential derby rivalries. Hull v Grimsby, the fish head (cod) derby? Anyway, enough nonsense.

I suspect that I may be on dodgy ground if I disagree with the superb wordsmith Susie Dent. However. In context, regards to football, the word derby is normally used to refer to local football rivalries. I would question whether it is superfluous. Is this what Ms Dent intended?

I would disagree with you that County v Wrexham should be termed a Welsh derby. It is certainly not local. Geography defines this game. Geography and the politics within Wales of North v South. It is a game between two Welsh teams over 100 miles apart. Sort of loses any minor glamorous inference when put like that. That is fine by me.

You never know, the superb Ms Dent may have a view. Don’t even know if she is a footie fan though.
Sorry Mike but don't you dare disagree with the lovely Susie. Not that I've had a crush on her for the last 25 years or anything. :grin:
I don’t want to upset your crush Brendan, but I know she has a sense of humour. I wonder what she would make of her recent favourite word of the day ‘ipsedixitism’.

Talking of crushes, it is very sad that the older I get, the more it seems to happen. Me at my age as well. It’s ladies of a certain vintage as well. Hmm. Mrs P just laughs at me thankfully.😀

North London Exile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:37 pm I think that next season's contest between Sutton United and AFC Wimbledon should become known as the Epsom Derby as it will plainly be much bigger than that silly horse race down the road.
Good shout. It set me thinking. What about these?

Someone already mentioned the first one but it deserves a repeat;

County v Middlesbrough - Transporter bridge derby
Barrow v Morecambe - Nuclear derby
Stoke v Port Vale - Porcelain derby (alternate name to the one currently used)
QPR v Hartlepool - Hangman’s derby
Fulham v Chelsea - Loadsamoney or the Harry Enfield derby.

That’s quite enough.

Taken an unexpected turn here thought I was only one with a crush on Suzie Dent! Rachel Riley?! Pah it’s suzie for me all day long! On derbies though tend to think geography is key factor and agree county v Wrexham is a stretch.

Notice that s4c after an inability to secure rights to any of our big games have got full live coverage of the FA trophy final!!!! Anyone interested will be there in person! Rank hypocrisy tbh

CathedralCounty wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:21 am Taken an unexpected turn here thought I was only one with a crush on Suzie Dent! Rachel Riley?! Pah it’s suzie for me all day long! On derbies though tend to think geography is key factor and agree county v Wrexham is a stretch.

Notice that s4c after an inability to secure rights to any of our big games have got full live coverage of the FA trophy final!!!! Anyone interested will be there in person! Rank hypocrisy tbh
Can't remember did s4c cover our trophy final

UPTHEPORT wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:25 am
CathedralCounty wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:21 am Taken an unexpected turn here thought I was only one with a crush on Suzie Dent! Rachel Riley?! Pah it’s suzie for me all day long! On derbies though tend to think geography is key factor and agree county v Wrexham is a stretch.

Pretty sure they didn’t but did show one of our FA cup games

CathedralCounty wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:27 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:25 am

Pretty sure they didn’t but did show one of our FA cup games
Think they covered Walsall home in cup

I'd like to also throw my hat in the Suzie Dent ring (as it were).

Chepstow'sFine wrote: May 14th, 2022, 11:00 am

I'd like to also throw my hat in the Suzie Dent ring (as it were).
Oh aye?! :wink:

pembsexile wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:44 am
North London Exile wrote: May 13th, 2022, 10:37 pm I think that next season's contest between Sutton United and AFC Wimbledon should become known as the Epsom Derby as it will plainly be much bigger than that silly horse race down the road.
Good shout. It set me thinking. What about these?

Someone already mentioned the first one but it deserves a repeat;

County v Middlesbrough - Transporter bridge derby
Barrow v Morecambe - Nuclear derby
Stoke v Port Vale - Porcelain derby (alternate name to the one currently used)
QPR v Hartlepool - Hangman’s derby
Fulham v Chelsea - Loadsamoney or the Harry Enfield derby.

That’s quite enough.
Yeovil v Hereford - Cider derby