Re: Amond's Best Goal

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 11th, 2022, 11:48 am Corner kick routine in the cup v Leicester, very clever.

You're getting your FA Cup games mixed up. Podge scored the winner from a penalty against Leicester. The 'corner' goal was the 2nd against Middlesbrough. Superb goal but, for me, the goal against Manchester City to pull us back to 1-2 late in the game was very special.

Can someone please change the other thread title to 'Padraig'.

Melling's equaliser wrote: May 12th, 2022, 8:30 am
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 11th, 2022, 11:48 am Corner kick routine in the cup v Leicester, very clever.

You're getting your FA Cup games mixed up. Podge scored the winner from a penalty against Leicester. The 'corner' goal was the 2nd against Middlesbrough. Superb goal but, for me, the goal against Manchester City to pull us back to 1-2 late in the game was very special.

Can someone please change the other thread title to 'Padraig'.
I think that has been spotted. Be good to get it right. He was a superb ambassador for the club. Our best forward for some time, probably until this season. I agree about the City goal - well worked.

For me Amond's best / most memorable goal for the County was against Spurs. The BBC report from the match said:

"Spurs were the first top flight team to play a competitive game in Newport since 1986, three years before the old Newport County went out of business.

This was the furthest the phoenix club - formed months later - have ever been in the competition and a record crowd for a football game of almost 10,000 crammed into the temporarily expanded ground to create a raucous atmosphere.

The hostility seemed to unsettle Spurs and, after three minutes, Eric Dier was dispossessed by Joss Labadie, whose low cross found an unmarked Frank Nouble, but his wild first-time effort flew high and wide.

That opportunity fuelled Newport's belief and they harassed their underperforming opponents, with captain Labadie the hosts' driving force in midfield.

One of his surging runs set the Exiles up for their opening goal. Spurs failed to clear a subsequent long throw and Robbie Willmott's deep cross was nodded in at the back post by Amond to spark deafening celebrations.

Even as Tottenham forced their way back into the tie in the second half, the Rodney Parade faithful continued to roar their encouragement, sensing their team were on the cusp of a historic result.

Kane's equaliser momentarily silenced the home fans but they were soon back at full volume and, at the final whistle, there was another eruption as Newport's supporters looked forward to the trip to Wembley, which their side's performance richly deserved".

Re: Padraig's Best Goal

Bronson&Hunt and DeePeeNCFC are correct, and don't worry DeePee mixing up the opposition happens at our age. The goal which finished off Middlesbrough was a wonderful routine executed to perfection.

Indeed it was the second best goal I have ever seen County score. Anyone else remember that goal against Sheffield United in a 4-0 drubbing? I think it was Kevin Moore who applied the coup de grace but Podge's effort v Middlesbrough runs it close.

Re: Padraig's Best Goal

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 12th, 2022, 10:31 am Bronson&Hunt and DeePeeNCFC are correct, and don't worry DeePee mixing up the opposition happens at our age. The goal which finished off Middlesbrough was a wonderful routine executed to perfection.

Indeed it was the second best goal I have ever seen County score. Anyone else remember that goal against Sheffield United in a 4-0 drubbing? I think it was Kevin Moore who applied the coup de grace but Podge's effort v Middlesbrough runs it close.
Yes I agree. As you say it was a wonderful routine executed to perfection, and as such was Podge's best goal. In terms of the opposition and the effect on the match, the goal against Spurs is my favourite Podge goal.