Re: Rod Jones

When the term legend comes in to a conversation I normally shrug my shoulders and smirk,but anyone who met or saw Roddy jones play would know they had met a legend of Newport County.

RIP the legend Roddy jones

Sincere condolences to all the family and friends

He was the toughest, hardest player to play for County in my time. Equally at home at no. 9 or no.5, he was in the tradition of centre field players who could alternate between centre forward and centre half, like John Charles did. This is an art which seems to be lost these days.

A player who always entertained, always tried his best and was a formidable opponent.

According to Ambrosen, Roddy was 75 years old and made 323 first team appearances for County and scored 71 goals. His other clubs included Barry Town, Forest Green and Lovells.

When I think back to watching County in the 70's it is the image of Roddy Jones which most often comes to mind.

A true legend. R.I.P. and thank you.

Saddest news I've heard for a long time. Always my favourite player, and I've seen many players over the County. They say you should never meet your heroes, in my case I met him about 3 or 4 years ago. He was absolutely great, a real gentleman, and more than happy to chat to an old County supporter. RIP legend Roddy.