Re: Grandstand: Port Vale v Newport County (Away)

Exile 1976 wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:42 pm
lowandhard wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:07 pm
faerun exile wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm Much better selection today which gave us balance. Dolan at sweeper gives our keeper more outlets and allows Bennett to have space sitting in, breaking up lay. Worked well against their slow and cart horse strikers. JR did his homework there. Not sure it works so well v pacy forwards but Pask and Clarke were plenty quick enough today. Performance today had nowt to do with choice of keeper. In fact Townsend kicked a few straight into touch. All in all a frustrating reminder of how we played for most of this season. Dodgy selections / formations have cost us since early April.
I think the choice of keeper makes all the difference, the defence is assured that a through ball will be intercepted and cleared and that Townsend will come for a ball lofted into the box when required, he also looks much more assured with the ball at his feet. Shotstopping is not the main difference between the two.
I can remember at least two,Townsend comes and is positive.He did kick a few out but,I am more confident with him on back passes than Day.I personally would discourage back passes unless absolutely necessary as we tend to mess up or,just give the ball back to them anyway.Why can’t the defender deal with it himself.
Can’t remember a single ball into the box that Townsend came for today.
He did punch one ball away that was towards him and if that was Day kicking how Townsend did today you’d be having a go at him.

lowandhard wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:07 pm
faerun exile wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm Much better selection today which gave us balance. Dolan at sweeper gives our keeper more outlets and allows Bennett to have space sitting in, breaking up lay. Worked well against their slow and cart horse strikers. JR did his homework there. Not sure it works so well v pacy forwards but Pask and Clarke were plenty quick enough today. Performance today had nowt to do with choice of keeper. In fact Townsend kicked a few straight into touch. All in all a frustrating reminder of how we played for most of this season. Dodgy selections / formations have cost us since early April.
I think the choice of keeper makes all the difference, the defence is assured that a through ball will be intercepted and cleared and that Townsend will come for a ball lofted into the box when required, he also looks much more assured with the ball at his feet. Shotstopping is not the main difference between the two.
I didn’t disagree that R had picked a more balanced team today, I took one look at it and said he’s picked a team properly today, I was merely suggesting that the choice of keeper makes a huge difference. All his selections played well and I’m pleasantly surprised we played so well without Mickey D.

owlsabout wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 7:06 pm Play Dolan in a back 3 and it works its not rocket science! These players know the system off to a tee JR came in and changed something that wasn't broken. Missed opportunity imo play offs was a must with this sqaud and not to achieve that is a failure..
Agree with you,how we played ourselves out of the playoffs was criminal.Extra three weeks off for the players maybe.

Percy plunkett wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 7:53 pm
owlsabout wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 7:06 pm Play Dolan in a back 3 and it works its not rocket science! These players know the system off to a tee JR came in and changed something that wasn't broken. Missed opportunity imo play offs was a must with this sqaud and not to achieve that is a failure..
Agree with you,how we played ourselves out of the playoffs was criminal.Extra three weeks off for the players maybe.
Agree with these views, criminal is the word, four home losses!!! We have lost out to some far inferior teams as today proved. Threw it away for Rowberry to continue his education in being a manager 😫.

Manager changing system / change of goalkeeper etc. comes down to form, confidence and a bit of luck if you have all three you are on a run. Remember we are not a head and shoulders top L2 side - we are very competitive. Look at PV good run into automatic promotion position now three losses on bounce and a very tough last game at Exeter could miss out on play offs - it happens unfortunately to us this year too.

County ranger wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 9:00 pm Manager changing system / change of goalkeeper etc. comes down to form, confidence and a bit of luck if you have all three you are on a run. Remember we are not a head and shoulders top L2 side - we are very competitive. Look at PV good run into automatic promotion position now three losses on bounce and a very tough last game at Exeter could miss out on play offs - it happens unfortunately to us this year too.
Agree with that. I know it's a tired old journalistic cliche, but one I feel is so true. Which ever teams handle the 'pressure' best are the ones who have success. Unfortunately we didn't handle it well in our home games at the later end of the season, although our away form has been good. Looked today for large parts of the game PV didn't handle it too well either.

When Dolan played in the back three at the start of the season I thought Flynn had lost his marbles but it was a stroke of genius. Dolan may be slow but he can pick a pass and is comfortable on the ball, it worked. Yes he was caught in possession several times but this is division three, not the premiership. Since Day has returned, Dolan injured (?) we have lost the plot big time. Dolan should have remained in defence with Townsend in goal and we would have secured the playoffs at least, if not automatic promotion. And what happened to Livermore, playing well and disappeared?

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 5:08 pm My marks out of ten -

Townsend 7 - Calm, made one good punch, no chance with the goal, kicking mostly good.

Norman 7 - Very solid, good partnership with Clarke.

Clarke 7.5 - Used his experience well and earned his money today.

Dolan 7 - Added calmness to the defence, good corner deliveries, seems to have lost weight?

Pask 7 - Didn’t put a foot wrong, does pass back to the GK a lot.

Azaz 8.5 - Class performance throughout, has a big future ahead of him. Great goal.

Benno 7.5 - Really put in a shift, allowed Azaz to get forward.

Haynes 7.5 - Great first half, two shots, one goal. Wasn’t troubled at all.

Dom - 7.5 - Plays others in really well, only had one shot on goal but is a good team player.

CBR - 6.5 - Battled well at both ends of the pitch but dragged out of position a little by Townsend’s kicks to the touch line.

Cain 6 - Largely anonymous and off the pace / injured, deservedly taken off.

Street - 7.5 Battled well when he came on and won the corner which led to our winner, held the ball up well but looks more of a midfielder than a striker to me.

Lewis 6.5 - Lucky not to get a card for an ugly tangle near the end but slotted in ok and didn’t weaken the side.

Cooper 7 - Defended well and made a brave clearance to prevent Vale getting a draw.

Rowberry - 8.5 - Good, well-timed substitutions and set up the team well, deserved this win. Defence looked solid despite Micky’s absence.

Vale 5 - Must’ve been an off day as I can’t understand how they’re in the play-off spots. Bar Wilson they looked weak. It’s a good job I’m not a single man looking for a date in the Vale area, as their female supporters weren’t easy on the eye!
Agreed with much of this apart from Pask's rating. It was his mistake (again) that led to their goal. I think it comes down to match fitness ultimately but based on his last 2 performances he's been poor and would happily drive him back to the West Midlands myself. I also think Street is garbage.