Re: Newcastle

excessbee wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 11:27 pm Yep, they had a sell out crowd for an FA Cup semi final a couple of weeks ago. At Boreham Wood.... 4,500 I believe. The BBC keep telling us how marvelous it is. The standard has certainly improved but for me, no thanks.
I think it's fantastic that women play football. I think it should be shown on tv.

Like yourself I have no interest in the women's game. But for those who do enjoy it I am sure it is marvellous and good luck to them.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 12:21 am
excessbee wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 11:27 pm Yep, they had a sell out crowd for an FA Cup semi final a couple of weeks ago. At Boreham Wood.... 4,500 I believe. The BBC keep telling us how marvelous it is. The standard has certainly improved but for me, no thanks.
I think it's fantastic that women play football. I think it should be shown on tv.

Like yourself I have no interest in the women's game. But for those who do enjoy it I am sure it is marvellous and good luck to them.
… and if it means more people ( of course in this case mainly women and girls ) enjoying football then what could anyone possibly have against it? Of course it isn’t at the same level as the mens game and maybe never will be but when the young women coming into the game now come through the system, a system getting more and more competitive by the year, then who knows?
I agree with those who think it’s mad to ignore 51% of the population and those clubs who do so are living in the past. Newport women don’t have a team at present to grace RP but to ignore the development of womens football in Newport denies them the opportunity ever to do so and unnecessarily ignores a possible future important development in the game. We ought to embrace a womens Newport County team 😂😂😂

I have no problem with women playing football or any other sport or activity, the best of luck to them and to who participate in such activities.
I have watched a few women's games on TV and too be fair the attacking side of the game is quite good.
However I believe UPTHEPORT does get a bit carried away with his enthusiasm on a number of issues.
On principal I have no problem should Newport County form a ladies side.
What UPTHEPORT has missed out on is how will the ladies side be funded? Travel, Kit training facilities etc.
Bearing in mind that County isn't exactly awash with spare cash.
Also the men's side can barely scrape past 4500 fans so how many are likely to turn up for the ladies? Perhaps more I don't know, but don't think so.
And as for playing at RP don't forget that Newport RFC got kicked out because of their low attendances.

But to be fair to UPTHEPORT his heart is in the right place and if you don't try you don't succeed.

We had a womens team at one time. They left us to join Merthyr.

Don't forget that we are in Wales and a womens team would have to play under Welsh FA in the Welsh pyramid system. So no FA cup and very little interest I suspect.

Yeovil Town had a very successful semi professional Ladies team that was always extremely financially challenging to operate. However they still managed to get into the top English League, but then in came the money bags Premier Clubs who were prepared to heavily subsidise their Women football setups. That change increased operating costs and player wage demands significantly, and sadly in 2019 Yeovil were forced into administration.
The moral of the story is that professional or semi professional Woman's football is unsustainable unless a Club or sponsor is prepared to spend substantial amounts of money in support. Sad as it is, I hope that our Club stay well away from any financial commitments in trying to operate a Ladies side, as it will undoubtedly represent a constant drain on the finite resource of cash. Money that is better used in trying to preserve our league status.

G Guest wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 4:13 pm We had a womens team at one time. They left us to join Merthyr.

Don't forget that we are in Wales and a womens team would have to play under Welsh FA in the Welsh pyramid system. So no FA cup and very little interest I suspect.
Not sure that's right as Cardiff Ladies play in an English league.

faerun exile wrote: May 4th, 2022, 8:10 am
G Guest wrote: May 3rd, 2022, 4:13 pm We had a womens team at one time. They left us to join Merthyr.

Not sure that's right as Cardiff Ladies play in an English league.
Yes, they actively promote themselves as the only Welsh (ladies) team playing in an English league.