Re: What a selfish scumbag

As a society we have decided that if you drink drive and get caught you will be banned from driving for a year or two, get fined and that's pretty much it. However if you kill some the you get banged up for up to 14 years. Assuming this man pleaded guilty at the very beginning of the process his penalty was pretty much as high a tariff as the judge could give.

My view is that if we sentenced all drink drivers to six months these needless tragedies would be a bloody site less common. Drink drivers don't go out to kill, in not taking drink driving seriously until someone dies we are all in part to blame.

penycwm county wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm Taking the guessing away and have a zero tolerance to drink driving.
If you ever have to see the misery and destroyed lives that drink driving causes, I can assure you that you would too. Sitting in a cell with someone about to start a prison sentence is difficult. But I had a line. Keep your head down and a year next September you'll be out. Put it behind you and get on with your life.

Now try sitting in a cell with a thoroughly decent man in his thirties who by a moments selfishness has ended another man's life. My man had never so much as seen the inside of a magistrates court. I didn't know what to say. I'm 64 and have never killed anyone. I don't know how I would cope with that. I don't know if I could.

excessbee wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:02 am This is a real shocker if true. How can he have reach that age without such matters becoming apparent before? Has he suddenly had some sort of breakdown.
Good question. I don't know whether the story is true and if it is what the cause of this behaviour is. I am of similar age and in your 60s you don't change that much over night unless there is some cause. Hardly likely that he has been behaving like this for the last 45 years without someone noticing.

I see in the Argus that a man was fined £475 plus costs and banned for 12 months for driving stoned on cannabis. Luckily he didn't kill anyone. But again as a society we say to those who drive impaired through drink or drugs naughty boy, slap on wrist don't do it again. But if you stop to think the intention of this man was exactly the same as the killer in the first post.
The only way to prevent countless needless deaths and untold misery for the loved ones who remain is to take drink/drug driving seriously before the perpetrators kill.