Apropos of nothing.

Those of us of a certain age, mature if you're me, old if you're honest, coffin dodger if you're High&wide, will recall in 1968 County getting a very credible draw at Southampton 1-1 followed by a credible but ultimately disappointing 2-3 home defeat in the third round Cup to Southampton.

The Cup winners that year were West Bromwich Albion. Whom we would have played in the 4th round. As it happened Southampton got a very credible 1-1 draw at the Hawthorns. Before losing the replay at the Dell 2-3.

Anyone think they can top that in a boring but true story?

Re: Apropos of nothing.

No but reaper avoiders like me are probably reasonably happy today with our situation. Back in the day at the fag end of another disappointing season we could console ourselves with played 46 points 46 which equalled safety and midtable obscurity and dreams reserved for another year. As it was , apparently so it shall be this year. With friends, like you, I sometimes amuse myself with reminiscences of good and dreadful performances of yesteryear but it would be nice to celebrate a promotion a little more often. I’ll never forget the game at Walsall when we won promotion and I had to work in the hospital that morning so couldn’t attend. By the afternoon I was in my allotment listening on the radio, when the result came in I threw my garden fork in the air so high I had to run off the plot so as to avoid being well and truly forked. Ah well, another disappointing season eh? Plus ça change.

Whatever happened to mediocrity season after season 64 - 73? No promotion push, no r5 cup runs, no European adventures, no excitement.

Len Weare safely between the sticks, picking up the Football Argus on the way home. The speedway on a Friday night was definitely more exciting. Sometimes I do wonder why I became a long term saddo.

pembsexile wrote: April 20th, 2022, 6:14 pm Whatever happened to mediocrity season after season 64 - 73? No promotion push, no r5 cup runs, no European adventures, no excitement.

Len Weare safely between the sticks, picking up the Football Argus on the way home. The speedway on a Friday night was definitely more exciting. Sometimes I do wonder why I became a long term saddo.
I used to wonder that myself. I miss getting back into town, drinking pints of Guinness in the Black Swan, aka the Dirty Duck in Market St, whilst reading the Football Argus. You know they were good days, County were mostly rubbish, but we were young.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 20th, 2022, 6:43 pm
pembsexile wrote: April 20th, 2022, 6:14 pm Whatever happened to mediocrity season after season 64 - 73? No promotion push, no r5 cup runs, no European adventures, no excitement.

I used to wonder that myself. I miss getting back into town, drinking pints of Guinness in the Black Swan, aka the Dirty Duck in Market St, whilst reading the Football Argus. You know they were good days, County were mostly rubbish, but we were young.
I had quite a contrast I was in university in London and spent my football watching time when I wasn’t playing myself at Stamford Bridge that echoed to the chant of “ Osgood IS good “ at the time. It was a bit of a contrast to come home to the County. Like you I used to get my football argus straight off the press in Market St when I was a lad and especially enjoyed “ Spotlight on Somerton” written I believe by Willis Huntley.

Good Evening

The problem with being a bit senior is that you forget how often the same anecdotes have been shoe horned into any slightly connected thread.
Walsall is one of those memories that is still so fresh in my mind as I imagine it is with anyone that went. I didn’t go, but have recounted many times my experiences of the day so I won’t repeat again unless requested to do so.
My response is more pertinent to the fact that Mr Einstein started the topic and there is a link ….
In those days 77-80’s I was a lonely soul on my football trips. I went alone , stood alone and spoke to no-one, just watched my team, usually lose and went home again. Mostly by train but come the early 80’s I had passed my test and had wheels! ( Hillman Avenger)
I clearly remember driving down to Newport in the March afternoon sunshine for the CZJ match.. and blaring out on the car stereo one of my favourite tunes at the time…
Einstein a gogo! ( apparently by a group called Landscape)
Occasionally it’s played on the radio today and I just melt back to the day we nearly got to the semi finals of a European cup.

Phil in Northampton

Here is a bit of info for you. Boring to some maybe. Apologies to low and hard, but four of the five contributors to this thread have either left Newport some time ago or made a connection through sporting hobbies and studying. What is it about a grey old city with a tin pot football club that has such a bloody hold on us. I’m fu**ed if I know.

pembsexile wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:13 pm Here is a bit of info for you. Boring to some maybe. Apologies to low and hard, but four of the five contributors to this thread have either left Newport some time ago or made a connection through sporting hobbies and studying. What is it about a grey old city with a tin pot football club that has such a bloody hold on us. I’m fu**ed if I know.
Funnily enough Pembs my wife and I have been looking to move for a while stymied somewhat by the pandemic and the market pandemonium that ensued. Despite having ample opportunities for seaside breaks I’d like to find a home with a sea view.. I will say however that in this much maligned city which is called by some detractors Zooport, most people are extremely friendly and I think I’d miss the openness and easy use of foul language rivalled only possibly by Bologna and some other Italian cities where even old ladies are proficient in the art. Only on the Bettws bus could you be addressed frankly when wearing my summer Panama hat with «  love your hat mate! Are you an umpire? “ 😂 F¥ck English reserve give me the Port’s attitude every time. You’ll
never be short of a conversation In this place, that’s for sure.

I vividly remember the excitement of my dad coming home from work on a Saturday evening carrying the Football Argus with him, the relentless languishing at the bottom of the league, applying for re-election, desperately looking out for how teams in the same leaky boat had fared - usually Workington, Bradford Park Avenue, Barrow - then church on Sunday and another week of being a dunce at school.

What a fascinating post. :(

I saw the title of the thread. I did think that maybe it was about the 2020 memoir by American filmmaker and humorist Woody Allen.

Apropos of Nothing is a 2020 memoir by American filmmaker and humorist Woody Allen. The book was originally due to be published by Grand Central Publishing, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, in April 2020, but on March 6, 2020, Hachette said they would no longer publish it. The memoir was published in English by Arcade Publishing and, in Italian, by La nave di Teseo on March 23, 2020. The photo of Allen on the back
of the book by his friend Diane Keaton.

A statement by Arcade Publishing called the book "a candid and comprehensive personal account by Woody Allen of his life, ranging from his childhood in Brooklyn through his acclaimed career in film, theater, television, print and standup comedy, as well as exploring his relationships with family and friends."

Back in 80-81 I was in Huddersfield Polytechnic, so I used to go down the old Leeds Road ground and watch Town (Still got a soft spot for them).
So when County came up to play I was in the home end as usual, and County scored scored first, I remember shouting Yeah but quickly had to change my tone as I forgot I was in with the Town fans after getting some serious looks. Steve Lowndes scored. County went on to loose 4-1.
Also being a student and living away I missed the Carl Zeiss Jena game but watched it on a black and white 12" portable TV.

I remember in 1972 when a pal and I went on a Sid Jenkins football special couch trip to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs v Leeds. Because we were only 15 and defiantly wouldn't be served in a pub, we waited in a café after the game near the meeting point for the couch pick up for the return home.
My pal spotted a local reading their version of the Football Argus and said to him "how the County get on mate". Naturally assuming that the chap would know that there is only one County and that was Newport County.