Re: Academy

George Street-Bridge wrote: May 1st, 2022, 10:09 am Being able to use five subs next season should increase opportunities for younger players. I'm not sure five is a good idea but kids sitting on the bench when it's three from seven are likely to stay there while also missing out on game time at their own level.
Not confirmed 5 in EFL yet. Clubs still to vote on it.

County ranger wrote: May 1st, 2022, 9:50 am
Percy plunkett wrote: April 30th, 2022, 11:49 pm I understand what you are saying but,have you seen them play,probably not.I have seen the academy about eight times this year and,they have both been consistent every time.I agree that you don’t throw too many in at once but my point is,where is the Development squad,will we have one next year,if so,why aren’t these lads staying.The purpose of a Development squad is for lads to move up a level to see if they can progress further.Ryan-Phillips scored again today,he is a CB,he has scored from set plays on a regular basis,he defends well winning his headers and battles,why is he going.The reason must be that the club will not have a Development squad next season,my question is,why not,it cannot be that he hasn’t impressed because I think he has,he has been consistent for two years so ,why is he leaving.
I have not seen them play and from reports / results they appear to compete well at their level. The key is can they step up, I guess finances and available games may be the issue with a Development Squad we started this season with that aim but how many games did they play and I question how competitive it is compared to league football and against experienced pro’s.
The other issue is that the academy has never produced a league player to date - we have had luck picking up cast offs from Cardiff / Bristol and adding a final bit of development but none home grown, does this suggest issues at the early ages in terms of selection, development and quality?
I have been watching County 50 years and these discussions were around in the 70’s we had a good run for a while Aizlewood, Lowndes and Vaughan I believe came through the youth set up but there was a reserve team in those days which clubs can no longer afford or have an appetite for.
I think that answers your question. We're in the unfortunate position that we are surrounded by three clubs that are two divisions higher than us, and have a history of developing players through their academies. Any talented kid in and around Newport would be insane to pick County over one of those three.

We need a proper, permanent training base that can develop our youth structure within before we can start to develop our own properly. Until then, we'll have to 'get lucky' with the cast offs from the bigger clubs around us. Although to be fair, for a club of our size, our record at that is significantly better than many teams in our division.

Ugo. wrote: May 1st, 2022, 10:18 am
George Street-Bridge wrote: May 1st, 2022, 10:09 am Being able to use five subs next season should increase opportunities for younger players. I'm not sure five is a good idea but kids sitting on the bench when it's three from seven are likely to stay there while also missing out on game time at their own level.
Not confirmed 5 in EFL yet. Clubs still to vote on it.
Well I hope they have consulted the PFA on this one so the game doesn't get screwed over again.

DT1892 wrote: May 1st, 2022, 12:48 pm
County ranger wrote: May 1st, 2022, 9:50 am
Percy plunkett wrote: April 30th, 2022, 11:49 pm I understand what you are saying but,have you seen them play,probably not.I have seen the academy about eight times this year and,they have both been consistent every time.I agree that you don’t throw too many in at once but my point is,where is the Development squad,will we have one next year,if so,why aren’t these lads staying.The purpose of a Development squad is for lads to move up a level to see if they can progress further.Ryan-Phillips scored again today,he is a CB,he has scored from set plays on a regular basis,he defends well winning his headers and battles,why is he going.The reason must be that the club will not have a Development squad next season,my question is,why not,it cannot be that he hasn’t impressed because I think he has,he has been consistent for two years so ,why is he leaving.
I have not seen them play and from reports / results they appear to compete well at their level. The key is can they step up, I guess finances and available games may be the issue with a Development Squad we started this season with that aim but how many games did they play and I question how competitive it is compared to league football and against experienced pro’s.
The other issue is that the academy has never produced a league player to date - we have had luck picking up cast offs from Cardiff / Bristol and adding a final bit of development but none home grown, does this suggest issues at the early ages in terms of selection, development and quality?
I have been watching County 50 years and these discussions were around in the 70’s we had a good run for a while Aizlewood, Lowndes and Vaughan I believe came through the youth set up but there was a reserve team in those days which clubs can no longer afford or have an appetite for.
I think that answers your question. We're in the unfortunate position that we are surrounded by three clubs that are two divisions higher than us, and have a history of developing players through their academies. Any talented kid in and around Newport would be insane to pick County over one of those three.

We need a proper, permanent training base that can develop our youth structure within before we can start to develop our own properly. Until then, we'll have to 'get lucky' with the cast offs from the bigger clubs around us. Although to be fair, for a club of our size, our record at that is significantly better than many teams in our division.
I agree with much of your post.

If your final argument means that we are better at finding cast-offs than many other clubs in League 2 I would tend to agree with that also.

I strongly agree that we need to develop a youth structure. Indeed for me, our greatest failure over the last 35 years has been in not developing infrastructure. And my greatest fear is two bad seasons and it's Spytty and National League South.

That we can develop such a strategy I don't doubt. Whether we will or not is far more debatable.

I suspect some of the Academy kids that are being released is to make room for ex-Cardiff City Academy kids that were released a season or two back that Rowberry felt would have made the grade.

If this is the direction Rowberry is taking County in (and I fear it could be) then that could see some further County Academy prospects leave. And perhaps some staff. And poor morale in the set-up.

wattsville_boy wrote: May 2nd, 2022, 1:06 am I suspect some of the Academy kids that are being released is to make room for ex-Cardiff City Academy kids that were released a season or two back that Rowberry felt would have made the grade.

If this is the direction Rowberry is taking County in (and I fear it could be) then that could see some further County Academy prospects leave. And perhaps some staff. And poor morale in the set-up.
If the ex Cardiff kids are better then that is progress - sentiment doesn’t get you a league career - talent and application does.