Re: 10 League Games to Go (5 down 5 to go)

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 10th, 2022, 8:55 am
pembsexile wrote: April 10th, 2022, 7:40 am If we are still in it by then, an absolutely nailed on vital game is Port Vale away at the end of the month. They are on a roll and have 13/15 points. Can’t pick your opponents obviously but with one game to go then I would prefer to be playing someone else.

I think it is also vital we win all our three remaining home games. No complacency, but it is doable, Crawley, Colchester and Rochdale. 9 points please.
Of course agree about the 3 home games being vital, but even then 9 points might not be enough. Perhaps even more crucial will be the away fixture at Sutton. A third clean sheet away from home would not only put us in a stronger position but put a hugh dent in their chances.
Yes OC, you can’t write off Sutton. However, over the past 5 games they have exactly the same record as us. W2, L2, D1. I was kind of hoping they would tail off. They aren’t as good as Port Vale. Irrespective of 9 points from the three home games if we don’t get at least a point from Sutton we are stuffed. As well as points for us it is denying points for them.

The only bonus I can see from the PV game is that if they continue with their superb form, when they play us they may still be suffering from a promotion party hangover.

Any team from second to eleventh could end up in the play offs. It is ridiculously tight as the ………..said😀

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: April 10th, 2022, 8:55 am
pembsexile wrote: April 10th, 2022, 7:40 am If we are still in it by then, an absolutely nailed on vital game is Port Vale away at the end of the month. They are on a roll and have 13/15 points. Can’t pick your opponents obviously but with one game to go then I would prefer to be playing someone else.

I think it is also vital we win all our three remaining home games. No complacency, but it is doable, Crawley, Colchester and Rochdale. 9 points please.
Of course agree about the 3 home games being vital, but even then 9 points might not be enough. Perhaps even more crucial will be the away fixture at Sutton. A third clean sheet away from home would not only put us in a stronger position but put a hugh dent in their chances.
I live next door to him.

I've said all along we'll make it.

We've got 3 decent home fixtures though they will be difficult due to them all being safe so they play without pressure, away games to promotion rivals, also suits us.

I said to my brother early on yesterday I fancied us to win it second half. I watch games with a quiet confidence now because of our adaptability to change systems if necessary.

If we are serious contenders then 3 home wins should be possible against three sides with nothing much to play for.We need to get something from Sutton which should get us in the playoffs.PV is the really difficult one with their form so 76 is the target.Having followed both clubs for 53 years I know anything can happen with us,we might win all five or not win any but,76 is a realistic target .

Percy plunkett wrote: April 10th, 2022, 4:28 pm If we are serious contenders then 3 home wins should be possible against three sides with nothing much to play for.We need to get something from Sutton which should get us in the playoffs.PV is the really difficult one with their form so 76 is the target.Having followed both clubs for 53 years I know anything can happen with us,we might win all five or not win any but,76 is a realistic target .
We might only get 76 points, we might get fewer. But five consecutive wins is possible. And that should be, and I have every confidence is, the realistic target.

Port Vale will certainly be focused on our fixture. Their final game is away at Exeter and they won't want to be going there needing three points. However,if they are no longer in the running for an automatic place, maybe they (and us) will be content with a mutual draw. There is the added twist that the moving of this fixture enables both teams to have more definite knowledge of what is required.

Handolucifer wrote: April 10th, 2022, 9:06 pm No team I ever played for went in to draw.
Germany v Austria, Ireland v Netherlands. Two World Cup games where a draw qualified both. Both ended in draws. I forget which player's book it was but apparently the referee in the Irish Dutch game begged the teams to play football. Every player on the pitch, all of whom knew that England were leading against Egypt, looked at the referee as if he were mad.

Handolucifer wrote: April 10th, 2022, 9:06 pm No team I ever played for went in to draw.
Not suggesting a team should set out with that mindset, but if it got to the final five minutes........ There won't be any frantic messages fron the touchline about results coming in from elsewhere. I remember the last minutes of the game at Morecambe when we knew that Exeter had not, so far, done enough. Then the prolonged agony of waiting after the final whistle for their game to finish.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 10th, 2022, 9:35 pm
Germany v Austria, Ireland v Netherlands. Two World Cup games where a draw qualified both. Both ended in draws. I forget which player's book it was but apparently the referee in the Irish Dutch game begged the teams to play football. Every player on the pitch, all of whom knew that England were leading against Egypt, looked at the referee as if he were mad.
I did’nt play for them Stanley.