Re: Welsh cakes v pancakes

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 6:37 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 4:02 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 1:39 pm the vagaries of the ecclesiastical calendar have led to shrove Tuesday being on...St David's day - given the choice which is it pancakes or Welsh cakes?!
I choose both
That's what I was going to say. I guess that's because we are not only older but also wiser.
Don’t know about the wiser bit Brendan. Older yes, but…..I asked Mrs P that very question a few hours ago, without any hesitation she said pancakes. I agree with OC and you, I’d like both.

Point of note - I have never heard anyone from Newport call them Welsh cakes. My wife and kids take the pi*** out of me because I was brought up in Newport and we called them bakestones. I still do. Before anyone mentions it, I know that Bakestone is what they are baked on.

pembsexile wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 9:33 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 1:39 pm the vagaries of the ecclesiastical calendar have led to shrove Tuesday being on...St David's day - given the choice which is it pancakes or Welsh cakes?!
I choose both
That's what I was going to say. I guess that's because we are not only older but also wiser.
Don’t know about the wiser bit Brendan. Older yes, but…..I asked Mrs P that very question a few hours ago, without any hesitation she said pancakes. I agree with OC and you, I’d like both.

Point of note - I have never heard anyone from Newport call them Welsh cakes. My wife and kids take the pi*** out of me because I was brought up in Newport and we called them bakestones. I still do. Before anyone mentions it, I know that Bakestone is what they are baked on.
Yet the original name is picau ar y maen. i.e small baked cakes or sweet breads cooked on a stone. Therefore the naming of them as bakestones is more accurate than the anglicised description of Welsh cakes.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 11:19 pm
I choose both

Yet the original name is picau ar y maen. i.e small baked cakes or sweet breads cooked on a stone. Therefore the naming of them as bakestones is more accurate than the anglicised description of Welsh cakes.
Cheers buddy, didn’t know that. I shall take great delight in telling my kids that today. 😀

mad norm wrote: February 24th, 2022, 9:03 am Bara Brith mentioned earlier...have been known to make some...recipe given to me by my cousin well into her eighties..she lives up a hill near Mold and her ol' man is a Wrexham fan :cheers:
Even Wrexham fans are entitled to eat I suppose. How did your cooking of the 'speckled bread' turn out. Believe the soaking of the fruit in tea ( can even add a touch of rum to it ) overnight gives it it's distinctive flavour.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 24th, 2022, 9:20 am
mad norm wrote: February 24th, 2022, 9:03 am Bara Brith mentioned earlier...have been known to make some...recipe given to me by my cousin well into her eighties..she lives up a hill near Mold and her ol' man is a Wrexham fan :cheers:
Even Wrexham fans are entitled to eat I suppose. How did your cooking of the 'speckled bread' turn out. Believe the soaking of the fruit in tea ( can even add a touch of rum to it ) overnight gives it it's distinctive flavour.
Well happy with results....I'll make another batch as I might sneak a drop of Grenadan run into it as well.

I choose both

Everyone under 95 in Newport calls them Welsh cakes.